Schilling may be done - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Schilling may be done

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Schilling may be done

Postby Yoda » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:05 pm

nsulham wrote:Amazing that the dude has a bum shoulder and isn't likely going to be able to go out of the game the way he wants to (although leaving the game as a World Series winner ain't half-bad) and yet people still cheer the fact he's hurt and hate on him :-°

Anyways, I'm curious to see if the Sox take a flier on Garcia or even Colon as has been mentioned or if they go another route and try to trade Coco again for a starter. Don't know where he'd fit or who needs a CF and has a SP available, maybe Coco and a prospect to Oakland for Blanton?

I think people dislike Schilling because he is arrogant, stupid and very opinionated. Plus he has a big mouth.

What is Coco making? I'm not sure he is a prototypical Beane player anyway.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RocketsDWM » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:06 pm

I believe Coco is making 10.5 mil over the next 2 seasons. Very affordable contract.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby bigken117 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:20 pm

Yoda wrote:
nsulham wrote:Amazing that the dude has a bum shoulder and isn't likely going to be able to go out of the game the way he wants to (although leaving the game as a World Series winner ain't half-bad) and yet people still cheer the fact he's hurt and hate on him :-°

Anyways, I'm curious to see if the Sox take a flier on Garcia or even Colon as has been mentioned or if they go another route and try to trade Coco again for a starter. Don't know where he'd fit or who needs a CF and has a SP available, maybe Coco and a prospect to Oakland for Blanton?

I think people dislike Schilling because he is arrogant, stupid and very opinionated. Plus he has a big mouth.

Look at that, you and Schilling have something in common! :-D ;-)

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 250)

Postby Yoda » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:23 pm

bigken117 wrote:
Yoda wrote:

Look at that, you and Schilling have something in common! :-D ;-)

lol... I'm not fat and sloppy though. :-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby DC_Commish » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:40 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:How would they void his contract?

Initially, Schilling wanted to get surgery, which would have ended his season. The Red Sox wanted to pursue a non-surgical rehab option that might bring him back after the All-Star Break. Per the collective bargaining agreement, they agreed to consult a third party medical professional, Dr. David Altchek of the Mets. Altchek sided with the team. Therefore, if Schilling still insisted on surgery, Boston might have cause to void his contract.
Fight racism in our schools. American Indians are people, not mascots.
DC_Commish Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:51 pm

Yoda wrote:lol... I'm not fat and sloppy though. :-D

Oh...so you're skinny and neat? You know what that means...

Not that there is anything wrong with that.... O:-)
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Noggy » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:07 pm

DC_Commish wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:How would they void his contract?

Initially, Schilling wanted to get surgery, which would have ended his season. The Red Sox wanted to pursue a non-surgical rehab option that might bring him back after the All-Star Break. Per the collective bargaining agreement, they agreed to consult a third party medical professional, Dr. David Altchek of the Mets. Altchek sided with the team. Therefore, if Schilling still insisted on surgery, Boston might have cause to void his contract.

The Yankees were in a similar situation last season with Carl Pavano. If I recall correctly, Pavano wanted the surgery, Yankees wanted him to rehab and the first couple of doctors Pavano went to said he didn't need the operation. Pavano went under the knife anyway and the Yankees couldn't void his contract then, so I doubt Boston has a leg to stand on here.
Noggy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thedude » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:35 pm

The Red Sox should have made him undergo a physical before resigning him, if they didn't then this is on them.

This might help the Red Sox actually. If Schill is back for the Playoffs, they get their big game pitcher when they need him. The Red Sox know also have the ability to put Buchholz in the rotation, without disenfranchising one of the teams leaders, Tim Wakefield, by sending him to the bullpen. Buchholz only finds himself in the rotation via injury, despite the fact he might be the number 2 or 3 starter by mid-season.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:47 pm

nsulham wrote:Don't know where he'd fit or who needs a CF and has a SP available, maybe Coco and a prospect to Oakland for Blanton?

.329 career OBP? NO THANKS.
I'm still hanging onto the hope of pillaging the Reds of their prospects. :-L
Dreaming of Johnny Cueto and Joey Votto in A's uniforms :-L :-L :-L :-L :-L :-L :-L :-L :-L

Schilling has entertained me for a long time with his pitching and big mouth.
I must be one of the only people on here who likes him.
:-S
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:53 pm

Why not get it from the horses mouth?

Curt Schilling at 38pitches.com wrote:At the time we negotiated the 2008 contract I passed all physical exams and testing, as well as the MRI the club required me to take. I knew in my heart of hearts that the extra time I was giving my arm to rest this winter would in fact be the cure for what I went through the entire 2007 season. I had a strong desire to not have to go through multiple cortisone injections in my shoulder for another year. There was absolutely no reason for anyone involved to believe I would be anything other than completely healthy and ready for the 2008 baseball season.

Things have changed since then and I contacted the team early last month with concerns and we’ve been working diligently to resolve them.

There have been disagreements these past few weeks in an effort to provide me with a solution that would allow me to pitch as much as possible during the 2008 season. At no time did I ever consider taking a course of action against the clubs wishes. In the end, regardless of who agreed with whom, I have chosen the clubs course of action and will vigorously pursue any and every option I can to be able to help this team to another World Series title in 2008.

Please understand that a lot of what has been reported is not true. When the club feels it’s appropriate to further discuss the details of this issue publicly I will elaborate but I need to make it clear that Dr Morgan did NOT diagnose me with a tear of the rotator cuff at any time during this process, nor did he recommend rotator cuff surgery.

After being diagnosed by the Red Sox medical staff I sought a second opinion, as anyone would, and when it became clear there was disagreement (which is not uncommon by the way), I agreed to see an independent Doctor from a list the Red Sox provided me, for the third opinion.

AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers