Veto or no Veto - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Veto or no Veto

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Veto or no Veto

Postby kslates » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:33 pm

I need help with a trade that was accepted in my league last night. We are in the 13th round out of 22 (but our keeper rules allow us to keep a guy losing the round of pick he was selected in last season i.e. I drafted Hanley in the 4th round last year so I forfeit my 4th round pick this year to keep him). Then after the MLB draft we have a prospect draft-keeper rules are the same. MLB drafted players can be kept for 3 years and prospect drafted guys can be kept for 5 years.

Should this be vetoed?

Player A receives Pedro Martinez and the 1st overall prospect pick

Player B receives the current pick in the draft and the 52nd overall prospect pick

Here is a list of the best available players according to MLB.com rankings:

1B-Thome C Jackson Delgado
2B-Kent Kendrick Johnson
SS-Hardy Greene Drew
3B-Encarnacion Glaus Blalock
OF-Kemp Hermida Burrell
SP-Schilling Greinke Meche
RP-C Cordero Gregg Marmol

And here are the prospects that were keepers and not available in the draft:

Nick Adenhart, Homer Bailey, Daric Barton, Jay Bruce, Clay Buchholz, Armando Camacaro, Joba Chamberlain, Scott Elbert, Jacoby Ellsbury, Carlos Gonzalez, Phil Humber, Eric Hurley, Wil Inman, Clayton Kershaw, Joe Koshansky, Andy LaRoche, Chuck Lofgren, Evan Longoria, Fernando Martinez, Cameron Maybin, Adam Miller, Jeff Niemann, Colby Rasmus, Jeff Samardzija, Ryan Sweeney, Jose Tabata, Joey Votto, Brandon Wood
kslates
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Veto or no Veto

Postby walkoffblast » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:15 pm

It is unlikely that trade is collusive. Therefore, I would not veto it. Even if your standards were a little higher I doubt I would veto it. Pedro's value this season is a mystery to all. There are some interesting young players available in your draft right here and I only glanced over your prospect list (might help if you posted a best available) but there is not much in the way of glaring ommisions . Seems a matter of opinion/needs so no reason to get involved.
Last edited by walkoffblast on Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Veto or no Veto

Postby MTUCache » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:25 pm

With all of those prospects already taken, it doesn't seem like the next prospect-pick is going to be all that valuable...

Pedro Martinez' current value doesn't seem to be that far off from quite a few players on that list:
- Delgado
- Kemp
- Hardy
- Kendrick
- Cordero
Depending on the positional needs for the teams involved this could seem like a total no-brainer for the owners who've accepted it.

It's not like you're talking about any of the top 100 players here, or anything that's going to drastically change the outcome of the league. If this is collusion (which I doubt), it's not even worth getting upset about.

No veto.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Commissioner's Corner