Uh oh Pedro - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Uh oh Pedro

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Uh oh Pedro

Postby Amazinz » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:19 pm

Folks, grow up. This thread is not an opportunity to use inappropriate language.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby beatdrum » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:38 pm

Forcing any animal fight to the death for human entertainment is completely messed up. I don't care what the animal is. :-t
beatdrum
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby jlm53089 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:51 pm

beatdrum wrote:Forcing any animal fight to the death for human entertainment is completely messed up. I don't care what the animal is. :-t

Lion vs Gazelle?
Bear vs Salmon?
Bird vs Worm?
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby beatdrum » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:56 pm

jlm53089 wrote:
beatdrum wrote:Forcing any animal fight to the death for human entertainment is completely messed up. I don't care what the animal is. :-t

Lion vs Gazelle?
Bear vs Salmon?
Bird vs Worm?

Let's try this again...

FORCING any animal to fight to the death FOR HUMAN ENTERTAINMENT is completely messed up. I don't care what the animal is.
beatdrum
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby acsguitar » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:58 pm

I'm pretty sure that the way Chickens are treated and housed in preparation for eating is probably worse
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Yoda » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:07 pm

mmm chicken. All this talk about chicken is making me so hungry. Might go on a fried chicken run today. :-L
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Grounded Polo » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:21 pm

Yoda wrote:mmm chicken. All this talk about chicken is making me so hungry. Might go on a fried chicken run today. :-L

I have leftover roast chicken in my fridge. :-B
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby MTUCache » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:41 pm

[tangent]

Not that I want to include any personal feelings that I have or don't have in regards to this topic, but it seems rather silly that in the thousands of years of recorded human history we haven't learned to accept our own human nature yet. From gladiatorial combat in ancient Rome, to entire cultures going from religiously persecuted to religiously intolerant in a matter of decades, to the prolific culture of pedarasts in ancient Greece, we somehow constantly seem to pretend like we, as a society, should be "better than this"... while history constantly reminds us that not only are we not "better than this", there's not anything particularly "better" about the rules we make, and we're probably capable of much, much worse.

Discussions like these always end up in the meta-ethical range, where everyday logic and reasoning don't seem to matter anymore, so I won't assume that we're going to have one of those discussions here... it just baffles me.

You'd think at some point we'd all just embrace our own animal desires, throw off the fake veil of "civilization" and go back to doing what we all want to do again... being animals. I can guarantee you that chicken-fights, dog-fighting, and bull-fighting would be the least concerning thing on your mind.

Look around you... take off the rosy colored glasses and witness the atrocities that go on everyday in this world. Around the world. In your backyard. Stop pretending like we're so much more advanced and civilized than other species and stop ignoring the grotesque amount of human scum on this planet. The crazies, freaks, murderers, rapists, and psychos aren't nearly as "abnormal" as you think they are... they're all around you, waiting for the first good excuse to become less than human again.

[/tangent]
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:32 pm

so essentially you are saying we need to accept murders, rapes, and pedophile activity in our culture?

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby MTUCache » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:38 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:so essentially you are saying we need to accept murders, rapes, and pedophile activity in our culture?

No... like I said, I'm not including any of my own feelings about accepting or eliminating things from our culture. I'm not going to get into a debate about what things are acceptable to me personally and which aren't, it's too convoluted and situation-dependant in order to ever have a respectful conversation about... eventually somebody's feelings get hurt, and I'm not trying to go down that road.

I'm simply pointing out the fact that other cultures have done it in the past (and were at the same time considered "successful" civilizations), without the world coming to an end. Entire empires have been ruled quite efficiently by brutal, deviant people. You could argue that many of those civilizations functioned better (from an "average" individual's perspective) than the one we currently have here and now.

Other cultures are doing unspeakable things right now, in fact, they're also happening right now in our own culture (and going unpunished), but rather than make a fuss about that, we choose to focus on the tiniest little details within our own culture (like cock-fighting, etc) instead of looking at the bigger picture.

It's interesting... that's all. And somewhat confusing...
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk