Maybin vs. Longoria in Keeper - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Maybin vs. Longoria in Keeper

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Maybin vs. Longoria in Keeper

Postby Jenkins » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:57 pm

Curtis Pride wrote:that's one way to look at it.

Another is that he had 34 extra base hits in 90+ games in the minors which isn't a hell of a lot of power.

I'm sure you also knew that 25% of his hits were infield grounders. Yes, he had over 20 infield singles last year in the minors. He's fast, but do you think that he'll leg those grounders out against major league fielders?

I guess the Marlins should have looked at those numbers before they traded Miggy and Dontrelle. They probably just traded for him for his defense. :-B
Jenkins
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ReeferDave » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:51 pm

Just to be clear. this is only a comparison with Longoria, right? I mean, you guys aren't actually calling Maybin a bust as his young age?

As a resident of West Michigan where he played as a Whitecap, I've seen his skills up close. If i were to describe him with one word, it would be "Freak". This is a legit 5-tool player who will get even better as he fills out. Of course, I am not a pro scout. I just like really liked what I saw here. One man's opinion.

I am hoping Porcello gets this start here this spring.

reef
ReeferDave
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby TurdFerguson » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:18 pm

Curtis Pride wrote:that's one way to look at it.

Another is that he had 34 extra base hits in 90+ games in the minors which isn't a hell of a lot of power.

I'm sure you also knew that 25% of his hits were infield grounders. Yes, he had over 20 infield singles last year in the minors. He's fast, but do you think that he'll leg those grounders out against major league fielders?

But anyway you look at it he still put up great numbers especially considering his young age...He has a higher ceiling than Longoria imo but Longoria is a safer pick.I just think those numbers are kinda over-assuming considering how young Maybin is...
TurdFerguson
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Curtis Pride » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:34 pm

On no planet does he have a higher ceiling than Longoria.

The only thing that Maybin has is speed over Longoria. Longoria is head and shoulders over Maybin as a hitter; it's not even funny.

People get too drunk with "upside" for speedy centerfielders. The guy is an extreme groundball hitter. He has a ton of work to do before he comes anywhere near Longoria.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby TurdFerguson » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:48 pm

Curtis Pride wrote:On no planet does he have a higher ceiling than Longoria.

The only thing that Maybin has is speed over Longoria. Longoria is head and shoulders over Maybin as a hitter; it's not even funny.

People get too drunk with "upside" for speedy centerfielders. The guy is an extreme groundball hitter. He has a ton of work to do before he comes anywhere near Longoria.

You should have relayed this kind of stuff to the Marlins scouting. Longoria is also almost two years older than Maybin and went to College...I guess you should also let all the scouting publications know that since Maybin was unanimous top 10 in every single publication Ive seen..I guess that his ground ball % is going to ruin his career....I mean not on the same planet ??? Give me a freakin break!The guy hasn't even matured as a hitter yet but still put up great numbers in only 320 AB in the minors. There is obviously no reason to argue with you.
TurdFerguson
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Jenkins » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:54 pm

I dont see how you can say that looking at a small sample size of data. You realize that Maybin barely had 10 ABs in AA before they brought him into the majors. I'm pretty sure that the Marlins didnt go overboard for contact/groundball hitter. I have heard him closely compared to Andre Dawson. I think for someone as young as he is, you have to look beyond the stats and listen to what the professional scouts have to say.
Jenkins
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Curtis Pride » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:15 am

me saying that is no more absurd than saying that Maybin has a higher ceiling than Longoria.

Maybin has done absolutely nothing in his 2+ years (that's a small sample?) in the minors for anyone to think he's close to Longoria.

And if the Marlins could have gotten Longoria, they would have done it in a second. I, along with every actual professional who ranks prospects, has Maybin rated lower than Longoria. I just have Maybin rated MUCH lower.

Maybin 2008 .260/.315/.410 12 home runs 25 steals
Longoria 2008 .280/.350/.480 22 home runs
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Jenkins » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:36 pm

Curtis Pride wrote:me saying that is no more absurd than saying that Maybin has a higher ceiling than Longoria.

Maybin has done absolutely nothing in his 2+ years (that's a small sample?) in the minors for anyone to think he's close to Longoria.

Wow! This is unbelievable. How about the fact that if Maybin had played college ball, he wouldn't be focusing on making contact and reading pitches (resulting in lower SLG%)? If Maybin had played college, he could come right in like Longoria and swing away at pitches. Unfortunately, there is a huge difference between high school and the minors, so it might be hard for a high schooler to immediately start crushing single A pitching, not to mention MLB pitching as a 20 year old. When you look at it like that 2 years is a small sample size.

Out of all the scouting reports and and his stats thus far, you dont think anyone believes it is even close between him and Longoria?
Jenkins
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Jenkins » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:41 pm

Curtis Pride wrote:The guy is an extreme groundball hitter.

Thank you for the amusement.....

This is the funniest thing I have read on the Cafe, since everyone was rating Chone Figgins higher than Jose Reyes. Here is the link:

viewtopic.php?t=172711
Last edited by Jenkins on Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jenkins
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby High Heater » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:42 pm

i'm sorry but um..... no :-°
High Heater
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball