Maybin vs. Longoria in Keeper - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Maybin vs. Longoria in Keeper

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Maybin vs. Longoria in Keeper

Postby cards05 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:01 am

Curtis Pride wrote:Except Vlad shows power in the minors, and struck out less than 10% of his at bats.

Maybin has shown very little power and strikes out 25% of the time. He also grounds out 60+% of the time that he does make contact.

Curtis, you ignore scouting and focus on stats. Thats fine, but not everyone approaches prognosticating that way. I'd agree with you on stats, he's done nothing to encourage me.
cards05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dodgerbluesc » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:54 am

Curtis Pride wrote:I truly think the only reason people say that Maybin has "higher upside" is because he's fast. Hopefully his color doesn't factor in, because it seems like the only hitters I hear people talking about "unlimited" upside are the fast, black outfielders like Maybin, Jennings, Austin Jackson, and Andrew McCutchen.

Regardless, Maybin only has speed. That's it. He has done next to nothing offensively except ground out and strike out a ton.

Longoria is currently head and shoulders ahead of Maybin offensively even though they are the same age.

Go with Longoria without a doubt.

Ironic that Curtis Pride was himself a fast, black outfielder... He swiped 50 bases in the minors in 93 before the Expos called him up... Well I thought it was funny.

Anyways - I agree 100% with Curtis - Maybin is overrated like crazy. Scouts do tend fall in love with guys with speed and they always HATE slower guys... I also think Maybin has potentially great tools, but he is being given credit that he in no way deserves... Just a few years ago Corey Patterson was even more hyped then Maybin. We don't know if Maybin will even be better than Patterson...

Longoria by a longshot to the original question. And yes, I would think you'd have to add something with Maybin to land Longoria... GL.
Dodgerbluesc
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:51 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:Longoria over Maybin in my mind

Bah, you'd put Kaz over Johan.

But, yeah, Longoria over Maybin. :-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby MadMobius » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:37 am

Longoria is definitely more polished and ready to go... they will both be in very similar situations playing on a very young team with a lot of up and coming talent... as an aside, man oh man, TB's farm system is LOADED!!!
---Lincecum---------Gallardo------Santana-----------Peavy---

Props to "The_Show" for my sig...
MadMobius
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TurdFerguson » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:24 am

This thread is hilarious...How has Maybin not proved anything ? I guess going .316 14 53 with 68 runs 25 SB and a OPS of .932 in only 323 AB between A-AA means nothing? He does K a lot but he is very young and even Jay Bruce Ks a ton..Maybin OB% was over .400 in the minors..I'm perfectly fine if you like Longoria over Maybin, but to say its overwhelming or that Maybin is overrated is foolish. Maybin is a freak of a athlete but Longoria is the more polished player right now...IMO Maybin has more upside.
TurdFerguson
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Jenkins » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:45 pm

TurdFerguson wrote:This thread is hilarious...How has Maybin not proved anything ? I guess going .316 14 53 with 68 runs 25 SB and a OPS of .932 in only 323 AB between A-AA means nothing? He does K a lot but he is very young and even Jay Bruce Ks a ton..Maybin OB% was over .400 in the minors..I'm perfectly fine if you like Longoria over Maybin, but to say its overwhelming or that Maybin is overrated is foolish. Maybin is a freak of a athlete but Longoria is the more polished player right now...IMO Maybin has more upside.

I agree. Seems like the trendy thing to do going with Longoria, but Maybin is easily just as good fantasy wise. He could probably even hit for more power than Longoria once he fills out.
Jenkins
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jimpage » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:12 pm

i dont think he was comparing maybins skill set with vlads, just that the decision between longoria/maybin would be similar to chipper/vlad...i doubt anyone thinks maybins power will ever be similar to vlads...and i would try to trade maybin for longoria for sure, depending on how much more you have to give up
jimpage
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TurdFerguson » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:56 am

Curtis Pride wrote:Except Vlad shows power in the minors, and struck out less than 10% of his at bats.

Maybin has shown very little power and strikes out 25% of the time. He also grounds out 60+% of the time that he does make contact.

He hit 14 HR in 320 AB in the minors last year..I guess you didnt see the 450ft shot he hit off Clemens when he got called up..
TurdFerguson
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Steve-o » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:09 am

TurdFerguson wrote:

He hit 14 HR in 320 AB in the minors last year..I guess you didnt see the 450ft shot he hit off Clemens when he got called up..

Well, let's call it 418ish. He's no Micah Owings (421). And he doesn't even crack the top 150 for HR length. You can see the video here. (I just wanted to work the cool website I have been playing with for the last hour into the conversation).

Anyways, I think Maybin has huge bust potential for all the reasons mentioned in this thread. Very risky pick for fantasy imo.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Curtis Pride » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:15 am

that's one way to look at it.

Another is that he had 34 extra base hits in 90+ games in the minors which isn't a hell of a lot of power.

I'm sure you also knew that 25% of his hits were infield grounders. Yes, he had over 20 infield singles last year in the minors. He's fast, but do you think that he'll leg those grounders out against major league fielders?
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball