Maybin vs. Longoria in Keeper - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Maybin vs. Longoria in Keeper

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Maybin vs. Longoria in Keeper

Postby Jackalope » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:31 pm

I have a well balanced team with young players in the OF (Milledge, C.Young, *Hamilton) with Snider and Tabata on the way in the OF as well.

On the INF I have Miggy Cabrara and Butler as young players at the respective Corner infield positions. (we use 3B, Corner Infield) and also a UTL spot. so there are loads of placces to play guys.

our contract format allows us to keep players for 3 years before they become free agents with matching rights.

My question is whether it is worth persuing a my Maybin for Longoria.

It's not that i doubt maybins upside at all, just that I think it will take him longer to reach the status of an impact player in the majors.

What do you think? persue the deal? ---- should it be a 1-1 deal or add a little on one side or the other?

Thanks.
Jackalope
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Maybin vs. Longoria in Keeper

Postby cards05 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:13 pm

Jackalope wrote:I have a well balanced team with young players in the OF (Milledge, C.Young, *Hamilton) with Snider and Tabata on the way in the OF as well.

On the INF I have Miggy Cabrara and Butler as young players at the respective Corner infield positions. (we use 3B, Corner Infield) and also a UTL spot. so there are loads of placces to play guys.

our contract format allows us to keep players for 3 years before they become free agents with matching rights.

My question is whether it is worth persuing a my Maybin for Longoria.

It's not that i doubt maybins upside at all, just that I think it will take him longer to reach the status of an impact player in the majors.

What do you think? persue the deal? ---- should it be a 1-1 deal or add a little on one side or the other?

Thanks.

I rank Longoria quite a few spots ahead of Maybin. And I haven't seen any list to the contrary. Given that, I'd think you'd definitely have to add something if you want him. IMO, Maybin has the biggest bust potential of any of the elite prospects, so I'd say it's worth it to go after Longoria.
cards05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:28 pm

Longoria over Maybin in my mind
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby soty » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:54 pm

I like Longoria here.
soty
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics Expert

Postby High Heater » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:31 am

Maybin has a higher cieling then Longoria but Longoria seems safer. it's whether you would gamble or not. ;-D
High Heater
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:13 am

Longoria is the safer more solid choice for the next few years. I would go after him if you can get him for the price of Maybin.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Koby Schellenger » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:25 pm

Go with Longoria.
** http://www.moundtalk.com ** MLB June Mock Draft ongoing.
Koby Schellenger
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Curtis Pride » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:37 pm

I truly think the only reason people say that Maybin has "higher upside" is because he's fast. Hopefully his color doesn't factor in, because it seems like the only hitters I hear people talking about "unlimited" upside are the fast, black outfielders like Maybin, Jennings, Austin Jackson, and Andrew McCutchen.

Regardless, Maybin only has speed. That's it. He has done next to nothing offensively except ground out and strike out a ton.

Longoria is currently head and shoulders ahead of Maybin offensively even though they are the same age.

Go with Longoria without a doubt.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby ReeferDave » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:04 pm

I think the high ceiling remarks are due to the possibility that these players have potential to be 5-tool guys. I think this applies to all the players you mentioned except Jackson. Not sure why ethnic background even comes into the discussion.

And when comparing Longoria and Maybin, understand that Longoria was a college player and Maybin came right out of high school. Longoria is at least 1 year, maybe a little more, older than Maybin and Maybin was rushed to the bigs. Not sure if Longoria has even had a taste yet.

Certainly, Longoria is more polished as college players usually are. And, if you don't have time to wait on Maybin to mature, I'd take him first too. I know these are lofty comparisons, but in a roto league it maybe like taking Chipper Jones over Vlad Guerrero. Rest assured neither will be bad players.

reef
ReeferDave
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Curtis Pride » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:49 pm

Except Vlad shows power in the minors, and struck out less than 10% of his at bats.

Maybin has shown very little power and strikes out 25% of the time. He also grounds out 60+% of the time that he does make contact.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball