Is there something wrong with this league? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

Is there something wrong with this league?

Is there something wrong with this league?

Postby ChiSoxFan95 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:04 pm

First of all, the draft date is really early. But is there anything else that's a little strange like the starters?

Draft Time: Sat Feb 16 7:00pm CST [ Add to My Calendar ]
Max Teams: 12
Scoring Type: Head-to-Head
Player Universe: All baseball
Max Moves: No maximum
Max Trades: No maximum
Trade Reject Time: 2
Trade End Date: August 10, 2008
Waiver Time: 2 days
Can't Cut List Provider: Yahoo! Sports
Trade Review: League Votes
Post Draft Players: Follow Waiver Rules
Max Acquisitions per Week: No maximum
Min Innings Pitched: 7
Weekly Deadline: Daily - Tomorrow
Start Scoring on: Week 1
Roster Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, IF, IF, LF, CF, RF, OF, OF, Util, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL
Stat Categories: R, H, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB, TB, AVG, W, CG, SHO, SV, BB, K, ERA, WHIP
ChiSoxFan95
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Is there something wrong with this league?

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:37 pm

I think there are a few too many categories but there isn't anything wrong with it.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 381)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MTUCache » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:13 pm

Very similar to a league I was in last year (7x7).... that I wasn't very happy with.

It was my fault though, not the league's... I just didn't recognize the patterns quickly enough.

I went into thinking that loading up on CG/SHO pitchers would be the key. In fact, the exact opposite was true... since they're so rare and unpredictable they're pretty much non-categories. With 7 hitting categories and only 5 real pitching cats, it was leaning heavily towards hitters.

This league looks even more extremely tilted towards hitters. 9 Offensive cats, all of them counting except avg. 8 pitching cats, which is more like 6 after you take out the CG/SHO categories. The only real "broken" thing I see is the BB cat for pitchers with a very low minimum IP requirement.

Just load up on hitting (especially in the C/1B/3B department, to get the most out of every offensive counting stat you can)... I don't think I'd take a pitcher before the 15th round in a league like this. The absolute biggest hitters you can take at each position is critical. With it being H2H, if you did load up on hitting early I would be strongly tempted to punt Wins and Ks and just take three top-tier closers. Winning Saves, ERA, WHIP, and BB every week would be more than enough if you could take six of the hitting categories.

Good luck!

(Also, with doubles, triples and TB as categories in this league, outfielders like Sizemore, Crawford, and Granderson become even more valuable. Grabbing guys like that will help you out in all the extra base categories other than the HRs.)
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Chicago 2 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:26 pm

Odd balance of hitting and pitching categories.

I just think its rather different you have 9 hitting categories and only 7 pitching. Like MTU said shutouts and complete games are worthless cats, its impossibly to draft a player who gets you those two categories.

I also think you should jack those innings pitched up, I mean come on only 7, mind as well load up on relievers if thats the case. At least make it 21 thats a fairly easy mark to hit.

As for your hitting cats, I think they are fine but I might take out total bases.

Also way too many positions but I suppose it could still work.
Chicago 2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Beginner's Forum