McDonald over Eckstein - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Toronto Blue Jays

McDonald over Eckstein

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

McDonald over Eckstein

Postby kimchi_chigae » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:31 am

Joe Sheehan from Baseball Prospectus has suggested that the Jays should play John McDonald over David Eckstein. He believes McDonald's defense is more valuable to the Jays than Eckstein's OBP, basically because the Jasy have 4 starters who are ground-ball pitchers and 4 four in the bullpen.

What do you guys think about it?
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: McDonald over Eckstein

Postby Rotundor » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:22 am

I LOVE Johnny Mac's defense. Unfortunately, we've been needing a true leadoff hitter for a while and Macdonald's offense is a HUGE liability.

Hopefully being flanked by Rolen and Aaron Hill, both a whom are above average defenders will make up for Eckstein's defensive shortcomings.
Rotundor
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Irish Drunk » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:27 pm

I don't think McDonald's defensive abilities over Eckstein's outweigh Eckstein's offensive abilities over McDonalds. With that Eckstein should be the starter. Eckstein also brings the intangibles, a strong work ethic and a good clubhouse presence.
Irish Drunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 160)

Postby sportsguy138 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:07 pm

It's tough to tell which is of more benefit. I wonder if there's some sort of way to find that out. I remember some guy did something like it last year, on the fan 590, to see if Mac is worth being a number 1 starter at SS. Although it wasn't all accurate, it showed that he was, according to the broadcaster.
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 396)

Postby CineMamet » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:48 pm

sportsguy138 wrote:It's tough to tell which is of more benefit. I wonder if there's some sort of way to find that out. I remember some guy did something like it last year, on the fan 590, to see if Mac is worth being a number 1 starter at SS. Although it wasn't all accurate, it showed that he was, according to the broadcaster.

Sounds like a job for Bill James. If only the Jays could have stolen the Man from Boston.
Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember me from such nature films as "Earwigs: Ewwww" and "Man vs. Nature: The Road to Victory."
CineMamet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Toronto Blue Jays