Ideas to keep the bottom feeders interested? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Ideas to keep the bottom feeders interested?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ideas to keep the bottom feeders interested?

Postby rib217 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:50 pm

this is our leagues 4th year. 12 teams roto Yahoo! style.

My question is: the last couple years the bottom teams are generally out of contention by August sometimes earlier. Sure they could try and contend for a better spot but most of them know they are out of the running for winning it all by July/August. Have any of you found ways to keep these teams interested or involved? Many of these managers complain and say there is no point for them to pay attention to their team. Part of me says thats just tough, and it happens in real sports too. However part of me wants to find a way to keep them involved for the remainder of the season. Any ideas?

Sorry if that was a bit scatterbrained?
rib217
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Ideas to keep the bottom feeders interested?

Postby Matthias » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:20 pm

We offer $20 to the most improved, roto pointwise, from the ASB to the end of the season.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thecubsyear » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:05 pm

Last place wears a dress on next year's draft and brings the beer.
thecubsyear
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby MTUCache » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:07 pm

Obviously the more you collect the more you can pay out... meaning the more spots you can pay out.

It seems a little silly to be paying out to the 6th place player when he's really not even getting his whole buy-in back, but at least it's giving the 7th and 8th place guys a reason to fight for something. Likewise, the 1st place guy isn't always thrilled about only getting 3-4x his buyin instead of 10x, but when it's more evened out more people stay interested.

Otherwise, I really like Matthias' idea, but I don't know if $20 is going to keep somebody's interest into the league if it's not a decent percentage of the total pot.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BoogieKnights » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:47 pm

In my 14-team money league, where you finish in the standings is tied directly to where you pick in the draft the following season. For example, the team that wins the league in '08 will have first choice of where to draft in '09. (They usually elect to draft first and 28th.) The team that finishes second will have second choice of where to draft. (They usually elect to draft second and 27th.) And so on and so on down the line. (And at some point, managers get creative; the guy who finished in seventh might give picks #14 and #15 a try, with a specific strategy in mind.) The guy who finishes in last place gets no choice of where to draft the following year; he's just given the only spot left after everyone else chooses.

Even though we're not a keeper league, this system gives our league a bit of a franchise feel with all managers competing till the end to earn the best draft pick possible (in their mind, anyway) for the next season.
FantasyHurler.com -- Because if we don't write about fantasy baseball, the aggravation it causes eats away at our insides.
BoogieKnights
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby cplindy » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:54 pm

in my league we give comeback team most points gained from allstar break a free $100 entry fee for next year and 1st overall draft pick.

ive been thinking of making last 2 teams split next years website fees.
cplindy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Matthias » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:00 pm

You'd be surprised. In general, you never collect enough $$ to make the money really worthwhile for people, anyways... we had $50 buy-in and prizes of $90 for 2nd and $270 for 1st and even at those amounts, noone is trying to win to make the cash. It's all about the bragging rights. So just the idea that there is a prize to go for gives guys motivation. The amount that you do: $20, $50, whatever... isn't really all that crucial.

Also, one rule that I put down but haven't enforced yet, is that whoever finishes last has to play treasurer next year. Now that is a penalty.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Citizen Erased » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:47 pm

whole league gets together to rip tubes and the last place finisher has to pack the binger.

X-I X-I X-I
Citizen Erased
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Eagle Baseball » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:42 pm

as has been said you likely don't collect enough $$ to make the payouts for improvement or something worth it and winners usually want more $$ in payout. It really is about pride. Consider switching to H2H. That way even if someone is out of it they can still be competitive on a weeky basis.
Eagle Baseball
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby commence8 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:53 pm

In my league, there are 2 playoff brackets. One for money, and one for draft position.

The consolation bracket, which includes the teams out of the money play for draft position . The winner and runner-up of the consolation bracket gets 1st/2nd pick in the draft place next year. You could have a horrible record, but win a bracket, it's happened before.

As for roto leagues...good luck on keeping things competitive.
Will always help in return (leave a link to your question in response)
commence8
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner