What will Cleveland do with Sabathia? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What will Cleveland do with Sabathia?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: What will Cleveland do with Sabathia?

Postby Matthias » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:50 pm

No, Santana is the one.

But CC may be cheaper.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheGhost76777 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:40 pm

We are going to keep C.C. this year, as we are a team built to contend for the world series, and trading C.C. would heavily damage that. But I am about 90-95% sure he will be in a different uniform next season :-t
TheGhost76777
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TheGhost76777 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:43 pm

The Cow wrote:I will say this IF we were to trade C.C. now we would get a better deal than the Twins got for Johan, not because C.C. is better than Johan, but because Shapiro would make a better deal than the Twins.

oh, God yes. Shapiro has a pretty good track record with trades, and won't pull the trigger unless he is confident the Indians come out on top. This is a guy that won't put Cliff Lee in a package for Jason Bay, and decline Adam Miller for Delmon Young straight up. He won't trade C.C. for a bunch of crap.
TheGhost76777
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TheGhost76777 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:16 pm

here is a nice article

Let's take this from the top.

No. 1: The Indians, short of an early collapse this season, won't trade C.C. Sabathia.

No. 2: Regardless of Johan Santana's contract with the Mets last week, General Manager Mark Shapiro believes it will be Sabathia's call on whether he stays in Cleveland after the 2008 season.

No. 3: Shapiro thinks there are other contracts just as relevant to Sabathia's negotiations as Santana's record-setting, $137.5 million, six-year deal.

No. 4: The five-year contract extension the Indians made to Sabathia at the end of December is not an ultimatum.

No. 5: If Sabathia does go to another team, Shapiro said the Indians won't crumble in 2009.

Shapiro, in his annual lunch with reporters before the start of spring training, touched on a number of subjects Monday at Progressive Field. Most of them pertained to the future home of the Indians' defending American League Cy Young winner.

"I can't present you with a scenario where it's acceptable to us or to our relationship with our fans that involves trading C.C. or examining trading him," said Shapiro.

Shapiro believes trading Sabathia would hurt the Indians' chances of repeating as AL Central champs.

When asked to comment on Santana's contract and how it pertains to Sabathia, Shapiro said, "You're asking the wrong person. . . . There have been recent deals signed by pitchers as talented and capable as C.C., and in a more similar market than ours. But none of that matters. The only thing that matters is how relevant C.C. and his agents feel it is. Not to shift the burden to them, but I can't answer you how relevant it is."

The Indians' extension includes 2008, the last year of Sabathia's current contract, and four more years. The new money in the deal is believed to be between $17 million and $18 million per year. Those numbers are in line with the $17.3 million average-annual value of Jake Peavy's three-year extension with the Padres and Carlos Zambrano's $18.3 AAV in the five-year deal he signed with the Cubs.

Shapiro has not closed the door on further negotiations.

"A lot of our job is assessing risk," he said. "In recognizing the market we operate in, we have to be very aware of risk and very careful. There are players like C.C. that will push the boundaries of our risk tolerance.

"I can promise you that C.C. . . . will push our risk tolerance. Not limitlessly, but he will push the boundaries of that risk. Frankly, he already has."

If the Indians lose Sabathia, Shapiro says they will survive. Internally, Adam Miller, Jeremy Sowers or Aaron Laffey could fill the opening in the rotation.

"I don't see a major rebuild tied to one player," said Shapiro. "As I look into the future, I feel good about next year's team no matter what form it takes."

Shapiro also talked about these subjects:

Cliff Lee: "Cliff clearly is the staring pitcher with the greatest opportunity, with an improved performance, to impact the team this year. In order for him to improve, he's got to make adjustments. He just can't pitch like he did last year. That's obvious."

Asdrubal Cabrera: "There is some unknown when you take a first-year player at second base. . . . but we feel very confident in his long-term ability to be an everyday middle infielder."

Bullpen: Shapiro said there would be one spot open for competition.

Miller: Shapiro said he will not be considered for a spot in the rotation or bullpen coming out of spring training.

Left and right field: Shapiro hopes David Dellucci and Jason Michaels will win the left-field job and Franklin Gutierrez proves he can start in right. Ben Francisco and Shin-Soo Choo provide options.

Minors: Shapiro said reliever Jeff Stevens and outfielder Trevor Crowe could make it to Cleveland this year.

Moving: Shapiro would not comment on rumors saying the Indians will move their Class AAA club to Columbus from Buffalo after 2008.
TheGhost76777
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Cow » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:09 pm

Sabathia
C.C. Sabathia released a statement Thursday on his official website indicating that he will not discuss a long-term contract extension until after the season.
Sabathia and the Indians were said to be negotiating a potential extension, but the impending free agent wrote: "At this time, we haven’t been able to reach agreement. Now that the reporting date for spring training is here, it is time to put aside contract discussions so that I can focus all of my energies and attention on preparing for the upcoming season." Sabathia added that "there will be time after the season for the Indians and my representatives to discuss my contract status," but it's going to awfully tough for Cleveland to keep him once he hits the open market. Unlike what the Twins did with Johan Santana, general manager Mark Shapiro said previously that the Indians will not trade Sabathia. Feb. 14 - 9:53 am et
Source: CCSabathia52.com

Well so long C.C., looks like he is going for the green. He turned down a reported 5 yr 100 mil deal from the Tribe. It is expected that C.C. will try to get more dough than Santana in free agency. He wants more than 100 mil anyway. Isn't it a huge risk for a SP to pass on 100 mil? He could blow out his elbow or shoulder at anytime this season.

i think the Tribe should listen to offers for C.C., if the Tribe can get say a Phil Hughes from the Yanks then do it. Having C.C. will help the Tribe contend this year, but even with C.C. Detroit is the favorite in the AL Central. I would at this point deal C.C. if there is a nice deal out there. If there is not a good deal then take the picks. Looks like he is gone, he is an Oakland native so he probably wants to head out west. Though if the Yanks or any team comes in with big money in free agency C.C. will probably go to the highest bidder. Unless he is set on heading out west. The Dodgers have been rumored.

Turning down 100 mil is a huge risk especially for a SP.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers