What will Cleveland do with Sabathia? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What will Cleveland do with Sabathia?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What will Cleveland do with Sabathia?

Postby Bloody Sox » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:36 pm

Cy Young award winner CC Sabathia is a free agent at the conclusion of the 2008 season, but Cleveland will likely be in strong contention for at least the wild card for the better part of the year, I'd guess so they can't really think about trading him. On top of that, Johan Santana's huge deal certainly makes things a LOT tougher for Cleveland I'd imagine. Not that Sabathia should expect Santana money in free agency, but I'd guess he's want something equalling or exceeding Barry Zito's 7 year, $126M contract. Will Cleveland pay it? Will Sabathia take a hometown discount? If no to both, will Cleveland just let him walk and take the draft picks?
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What will Cleveland do with Sabathia?

Postby Yoda » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:41 pm

Sabathia is probably going to see a lot of IPs this year. I think they will be competitive and if they traded him right now a la Santana, then Shapiro will probably be run out of town.

CC comes with a bit more risk compared to Santana. His weight is probably an issue and he's had various nagging injuries in the past. I think he does deserve Zito type money at the least and it will be interesting to see what Cleveland does after the season. I am not sure if they have the type of money CC is looking for . If they are not competitive then I can see a monster deadline trade which is probably what Minnie should have done with Santana (even though Johan said he won't waive his NTC during the season).
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby MTUCache » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:51 pm

Tough spot for the management there... on one hand they've got the pieces in place to stay a contender for several years to come. On the other, that means investing a lot more money into aging players and setting yourself up for a steep fall.

I think they either end up paying him Santana-type money for a shorter contract (3 years?), or he refuses and signs somewhere else for Zito-type money and long-term (6+ years).

If I was the management, I'd be willing to give him 20+ for the next three years, but anything further than that and you're really mortgaging your future.

I've got a sneaking suspicion that he ends up in a different uniform after this contract.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:56 pm

I think they'll pay up (or at least try to).
I don't think they'll pay 7/126.
They might go for 5/90. That seems reasonable enough.
And if they can't get this done we might be in for an exciting July trade-wise.
Just shows don't give players no-trade clauses.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby The Cow » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:00 pm

General manager Mark Shapiro indicated Monday that the Indians will not trade impending free agent C.C. Sabathia before or during the season.
"I can't present you with a scenario where it's acceptable to us or to our relationship with our fans that involves trading C.C. or examining trading him," Shapiro said. There's been speculation following the recent Johan Santana contract that Sabathia is unlikely to remain in Cleveland beyond this season, but the Indians are apparently prepared to take draft picks if he leaves via free agency rather than attempt a Santana-like trade.
Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

Well what this says to me is that the Tribe for now plans on holding onto C.C. at least until they fall out of contention if they do. What it also says to me is that the Tribe will not give C.C. away as the Twins did Santana. In other words if you want C.C. then give us something in return because we will take picks instead of garbage prospects.

I do not see the Tribe resigning C.C., he will be traded at the deadline or kept all year and we will get picks. Unless of course somebody that lost out on Johan or Bedard feels like stepping up and getting C.C. Would the Braves, Phillies or Yankees feel the need to deal for C.C.? How about the Angels? In the right scenario we could deal C.C. now, but its doubtful, at the deadline I could see it.

Shapiro saying that he does not see a scenario where we would deal C.C., is a good thing because it means that we won't give the guy away. We are not desperate to deal him.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:04 pm

The Cow wrote:General manager Mark Shapiro indicated Monday that the Indians will not trade impending free agent C.C. Sabathia before or during the season.
"I can't present you with a scenario where it's acceptable to us or to our relationship with our fans that involves trading C.C. or examining trading him," Shapiro said. There's been speculation following the recent Johan Santana contract that Sabathia is unlikely to remain in Cleveland beyond this season, but the Indians are apparently prepared to take draft picks if he leaves via free agency rather than attempt a Santana-like trade.
Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

Well what this says to me is that the Tribe for now plans on holding onto C.C. at least until they fall out of contention if they do. What it also says to me is that the Tribe will not give C.C. away as the Twins did Santana. In other words if you want C.C. then give us something in return because we will take picks instead of garbage prospects.

I do not see the Tribe resigning C.C., he will be traded at the deadline or kept all year and we will get picks. Unless of course somebody that lost out on Johan or Bedard feels like stepping up and getting C.C. Would the Braves, Phillies or Yankees feel the need to deal for C.C.? How about the Angels? In the right scenario we could deal C.C. now, but its doubtful, at the deadline I could see it.

Shapiro saying that he does not see a scenario where we would deal C.C., is a good thing because it means that we won't give the guy away. We are not desperate to deal him.

The Cow

You could always pillage the Reds of all their prospects - someone is eventually going to it might as well be you.

The AussieDodger
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby The Cow » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:06 pm

MTUCache wrote:Tough spot for the management there... on one hand they've got the pieces in place to stay a contender for several years to come. On the other, that means investing a lot more money into aging players and setting yourself up for a steep fall.

I think they either end up paying him Santana-type money for a shorter contract (3 years?), or he refuses and signs somewhere else for Zito-type money and long-term (6+ years).

If I was the management, I'd be willing to give him 20+ for the next three years, but anything further than that and you're really mortgaging your future.

I've got a sneaking suspicion that he ends up in a different uniform after this contract.

When you say "investing money into aging player..." You do realize that C.C. is only 27 right? So if C.C. gets a 6 year deal he will only be 33 at the start of the 6th year. As far as age goes it is not a factor with C.C. as he debuted at age 20. Now injuries as with any pitcher at any age always a risk, but age, C.C. is still a youngster that is just hitting his prime. C.C. will net more than Zito, but less than Johan though he could get more than Johan if he hits the market. But of course C.C. could, could give us a home town
discount. But a more likely scenario is C.C. in Dodger blue as has been rumored. Either this season or as a FA.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Matthias » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:16 pm

The Cow wrote:In other words if you want C.C. then give us something in return because we will take picks instead of garbage prospects.

No offense, but that's the same thing they were saying over on the Minneapolis Star-Tribune in December.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:23 pm

I really doubt they deal him if they are in contention. And I'd be really surprised if they weren't in contention most of the year.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 377)

Postby The Cow » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:26 pm

Matthias wrote:
The Cow wrote:In other words if you want C.C. then give us something in return because we will take picks instead of garbage prospects.

No offense, but that's the same thing they were saying over on the Minneapolis Star-Tribune in December.

And what are they saying in Baltimore? Baltimore is getting Adam Jones one of the game's best prospects. The Twins had better offers on the table at the Winter meetings, Minnesota dropped the ball. My guess Minnesota makes a better deal if Terry Ryan were still GM.

The Cow
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers