Bill James Interview - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bill James Interview

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bill James Interview

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:55 am

You’ve got a new website you’re coming out with as well, Bill James online. What will be the nature of that site—a think tank for research analysis, a blog, a reference site, something else? Will you be the only contributor or will there be others?

The basic idea for the site is that I wanted to have a place where I could communicate directly with my readers, to publish articles and get feedback from the audience in real time. It isn’t a blog, as I understand the term, because I think blogs are essentially opinion-driven, as opposed to research-driven. Not trying to limit what you can do in a blog; I’m sure there are blogs of all types. Anyway, what I do is, I find a question, I do research, I write it up, which is what I have always done; I don’t really traffic in opinion very much. I do write some “columns,” as opposed to articles, and columns are opinion pieces.

But a site, to be most useful to a reader, to really become a part of the reader’s life, needs something new all the time, something happening every day. To create that “something happening all the time,” we have created a lot of “information packages” that of course will be automatically updated.

Hardball Times | FULL INTERVIEW
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Bill James Interview

Postby thedude » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:14 am

Wow, BH, you are starting topics left and right this morning. :-b
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Tavish » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:25 am

You've moved to Boston for the Red Sox job. How does life there compare to life in Kansas? Do you expect to move back to there or stay in your new home?

The biggest difference is that there are many more Dunkin' Donuts out here; otherwise everything is about the same. We'll be moving back to Kansas in August.

That is freaking hilarious. The first time I went to NJ and then over to NYC that was the running joke with me and my coworkers. Every time you turned around, another Dunkin Donuts. Spoken like a true mid-westerner. ;-D

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:57 am

Tavish wrote:
You've moved to Boston for the Red Sox job. How does life there compare to life in Kansas? Do you expect to move back to there or stay in your new home?

The biggest difference is that there are many more Dunkin' Donuts out here; otherwise everything is about the same. We'll be moving back to Kansas in August.

That is freaking hilarious. The first time I went to NJ and then over to NYC that was the running joke with me and my coworkers. Every time you turned around, another Dunkin Donuts. Spoken like a true mid-westerner. ;-D

Yeah, seriously, that's no joke. There are at least 4 or 5 in my town, and I live in a very small suburb in southern CT. Three of them are on the same stretch of road. It's insane.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby gatorgreenwell » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:35 am

If you ever have the chance to get up to Canada, check out the Tim Horton's coffee shops. They are literally everywhere. I was in London, Ontario and at one intersection, there was a Tim Horton's on 2 of the 4 corners.
gatorgreenwell
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:39 am

gatorgreenwell wrote:If you ever have the chance to get up to Canada, check out the Tim Horton's coffee shops. They are literally everywhere. I was in London, Ontario and at one intersection, there was a Tim Horton's on 2 of the 4 corners.

I do what I can to keep them running.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Return to Baseball Leftovers