Traditions to be Axed & Kept - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Traditions to be Axed & Kept

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Traditions to be Axed & Kept

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:22 am

2) Stop making roster decisions based on spring training stats

This one’s a little fuzzy, and besides, I might as well come out against the American way, right? It’s true that denying players the right to win a spot in the majors thanks to a hot Spring Training is like denying the very right to competition—except spring training is not really competition.

Rather, it’s a mere month of exhibition games played on the most unreliable field you can find: a field filled with minor leaguers as the primary competition. The idea that management should choose a guy who has a hot 40 at-bats or dozen innings pitched, when everything in that player’s history argues against it, is a romantic story, but also a phony one. Almost inevitably, that player will fall apart when the regular season comes.

What’s the harm? The harm is that the guy who has proven his worth over a previous season --whether that guy’s a rising 22-year-old prospect or a 32-year-old vet who still has talent --- can be sandbagged for someone who just has a few good weeks to his name. You see, I’m all for the American way and letting the best man win. I just think the best man proves himself over more than a handful of games in March.

SI.com | FULL STORY
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Traditions to be Axed & Kept

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:54 am

A Change Should Come

1) Give interleague play a rest

Originally, I was going to put interleague play in the Keep column, because there's value in the rare appearance of stars from another league in your home stadium.

But the more I reflected on it, the more I feel that interleague play bleeds more joy from the game than it provides. The thrill is truly gone. Unless you have a particular rooting interest in a team from outside your league, an interleague game is more of a nuisance than anything else.

Don't Go Changin'

1) No designated hitter in the National League

I strongly disagree with both of these.

How can someone not like inter-league play? Don't you want to see your team play others that they don't see often?
No lets play the others in our division 50 times each. Wouldn't that be fun? <sarcasm>

I have already discussed number 2 somewhere else.
My argument was the pitcher should not be taken out of the game if he can't hit.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby MTUCache » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:10 am

Regarding Interleague Play...

I'm definitely starting to see it as a nuisance. Yes, the first few years were pretty cool, it was fun seeing some new teams in the ballpark, and it was also cool seeing our pitchers hit in their ballparks.

But, for the 75% of teams that don't have a natural cross-town rival, it's gotten stale quickly I think.

Exactly what is the point of having the Diamondbacks scheduled against the Tigers every year? Is there some kind of strange rivalry that I wasn't aware of?

If you are going to do interleague, just make it a couple of series... like a 3/3 home-and-home against the team that finished in a similar place to you in the previous season.

I'd like to see the schedules a lot more simple, not more complicated.

AL Schedule
4 Teams in your division x 16 = 64
9 Teams out of division x 10 = 90
Throw in couple four two game home-and-home interleague series and you're looking at a pretty balanced, fair schedule...
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:25 am

2) All-Star Game representation for every team

I wonder how fans of small market teams feel about every team getting a representative on the all star team. It was pretty awful that Freddy Sanchez went to the All Star Game over Hanley. Rollins was terrible in May so his snub was more forgivable at the time but Hanley was a stud and had vastly outperformed Freddy Sanchez. It generally works but there's always at least one massive snub each year. Dmitri Young probably would've been excluded if he wasn't on Washington but he was still batting .330 and had a pretty feel good comeback story so it's hard to really knock him for making it.

4) The wild card

The wild card is awesome and makes playoff races far more exciting. ;-D

1) Give interleague play a rest

Interleague play outside of your direct rival does seem a bit meaningless to me when it's 9-12 games every year against teams that make the fans indifferent. I'd rather see a team just play their direct rival and have one series at home and one on the road. It probably depends on who you play because I assume that Braves fans must hate having to play Boston 6 times a year because they used to be in Boston like 90 years ago and fans without a cross-town rival probably don't find it that interesting now it happens every year for 15-18 games. It can be nice to watch teams you haven't seen before but I'd rather avoid actually playing the Angels, Sox, Tigers, Indians, or Yankees until the World Series. Having 9 games against any of the 5 AL powerhouses affecting my team's NL standings when the competition had a easier luck of the draw would be frustrating. !+)

Post #1000 B-)
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Matthias » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:29 am

Interleague play does draw down the interest of the All Star Game and the WS. Most of that is already pretty well drained since, with Free Agency, players play all over the place. But there are players who don't switch leagues and it does take some of the uniqueness out of the ASG and WS. For that reason alone, I would nix it.

I also would nix the wild card. You want into the playoffs? Win your division.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:31 am

I would rather see more inter-league baseball.
Say if all the AL teams played all the NL teams for one series of 3. Then it can't be unbalanced.
Interleague = 48
AL vs AL = 114
I think 114 is still a massive amount of games to show who has supremacy in the AL.
I'm thinking the match-ups will be for the good of the game.
Pujols vs Beckett, Sabathia vs Mets, Lincecum vs Sox/Yankees etc.

Variety baby! ;-D
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Noggy » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:32 am

I think if they don't get rid of interleague play, they atleast need to scale it back. It's silly to me that the Yankees play the Mets almost as many times as they play teams from the AL Central and West.
Noggy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:34 am

Grounded Polo wrote:
4) The wild card

Whoever wants the wild card taken away should be tazered to death and then drowned in monkey feces.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby MTUCache » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:42 am

Noggy wrote:I think if they don't get rid of interleague play, they atleast need to scale it back. It's silly to me that the Yankees play the Mets almost as many times as they play teams from the AL Central and West.

Exactly... it's a novelty, not a competition thing.

What's so magical about everything being a three-game series?

You want a spectacle? How about the Mets in Yankee stadium for one game? Think there'll be some hype for that? One game in each is much greater than three.

Honestly, I couldn't care less about seeing the Tigers play Arizona, SF, SD, or Colorado this year. (Then again, I couldn't really care less about them playing Texas or Tampa this year either. %-6 )
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:46 am

AussieDodger wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:
4) The wild card

Whoever wants the wild card taken away should be tazered to death and then drowned in monkey feces.

Heaven forbid winning your division actually meant something.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers