Roto vs. H2H vs. Roto+playoffs - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Roto vs. H2H vs. Roto+playoffs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Roto vs. H2H vs. Roto+playoffs

Postby thecubsyear » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:01 am

My league has been together for 6 years now. Year 1 we did a strict 5 x 5 roto league. One owner ran away with it by August, and many owners complained. We switched to H2H and added OPS and K/BB to make it a 6 x 6 league. Last year we gave 5 playoff spots to the top 5 h2h teams and the 6th spot to the best team in power rankings (who didn't already make the playoffs).

Now some managers are leaning back to roto. Our thought was to do 20 weeks of roto, then 3 weeks of playoffs for the top 6 teams in roto (starting from scratch with the stats)

Does anyone have any experience with a roto playoff system? Anyone have any thoughts on roto vs. H2H or roto vs. roto + playoffs?
thecubsyear
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Roto vs. H2H vs. Roto+playoffs

Postby MTUCache » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:32 am

Can't say I have any experience combining any of those things in one season, but I can see how it might be fun.

Really there's two schools of thought I have on this:
First, that a roto-league is much more of a long-haul challenge, with much less luck involved and a more "serious" setup.
Second, that a H2H league is more condusive to rivalries, trash-talking, crazy-happenings, and gets more people emotionally involved in the league.

I honestly don't know which one I prefer yet, as I don't do noticably better in either one and my personality fluxuates between the two extremes seemingly every week. :-D

I can say that I like the idea of a playoff system in a roto-league, to keep the guys in the middle of the pack involved until the end, but in the same token I'd hate to see somebody lead by a ton through the entire season just to get fluked-out in the playoffs by something as stupid as a rainout or the other guy having fifteen double-headers.

It's tough finding the proper balance of regular season vs. playoffs to keep both of them legitimately worthwhile. Good luck.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bloody Sox » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:20 pm

Interesting idea... I always like new twists.

All that said, you might not need to do anything but go back to roto. You guys changed after Year 1, which was too reactionary. My experience is that as time goes on, parity reigns and very rarely will someone run away with it in August. A few years back in my league, there was one guy who was always near the top with maybe only one other team having a shot. But in the last 4 years or so in my league, there have been 4-5 teams battling it out to the very last week of the season, and not always the same teams.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 19)

Postby thecubsyear » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:05 pm

Thanks for the replies. I think that if we did a roto with a 3 week playoff that we would pay out half the winnings to the reg season champ and the other half to the playoff winners.

Ex: $1000 league. After 19 weeks, Roto champ gets $500, and obviously makes playoffs.
Playoffs: 6 teams make it, winner gets $300, second place gets $200.

Makes playoffs less of a crap shoot, but isn't that what happens in real life? A team could go 120-42 and lose in the first round of the playoffs...
thecubsyear
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bauermj » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:37 am

We do a 12 team h2h that uses 5x5 scoring. Ie. If you compile more HR than your opponent that is 1 category for you. First one to 5.5 gets a Win. If the week ends up 5-5, we go to overall rotisserie score vs. all 12 teams.
bauermj
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 11)

Postby thecubsyear » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:43 pm

bauermj wrote:We do a 12 team h2h that uses 5x5 scoring. Ie. If you compile more HR than your opponent that is 1 category for you. First one to 5.5 gets a Win. If the week ends up 5-5, we go to overall rotisserie score vs. all 12 teams.

So you're saying if I have 5.5 pts and you have 4.5 pts in a week, I get a W and you get a L? Also, how do you calculate the roto score for the week, by hand?
thecubsyear
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Commissioner's Corner