Brandon Crawford/Brian Matusz - Thoughts - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Brandon Crawford/Brian Matusz - Thoughts

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Brandon Crawford/Brian Matusz - Thoughts

Postby MaudDib » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:30 pm

I am in a Dynasty league with a minor league system and we are currently in the middle of our minor league draft. Most of the decent minor league players are gone so I am looking towards this coming draft. I have heard good things about Matusz and he could be the first pitcher drafted this summer. Crawford has been compared to Utley. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about these players and/or what they might project to do in the majors. Any help is much appreciated.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 369)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Brandon Crawford/Brian Matusz - Thoughts

Postby brewcrewreview.com » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:45 pm

Matusz is expected to be picked in the top 5 picks in June 2008.
Crawford will probably be in the top 10-20 picks in June 2008.

Scouting Reports:

Brian Matusz
San Diego | Junior
Born: February 11, 1987
Cave Creek, AZ
Height: 6-4
Weight: 193
Bats: Left
Throws: Left
High School: St. Mary's (AZ)

Tall lefty mixes in a very good mid-90s fastball with late movement, a plus chanegup, and a plus curveball. Solid pitcher's build. Above average control with impressive strikeout numbers. Very projectable at high levels.

Brandon Crawford
UCLA | Junior
Born: January 21, 1987
Pleasanton, CA
Height: 6-2
Weight: 195
Bats: Left
Throws: Right
High School: Foothill (CA)

A smooth-fielding shortstop with a lefty bat, Crawford has above average tools all around. Makes good contact with very good plate patience. Excelent speed and above average power, Crawford has 20-25 HR potential. Levelheaded and composed on the field. Intense. Very good range inthe field. Excelled in the Cape League in 2007. Has drawn comparisons to Chase Utley. Also played quarterback in high school.

Personally, I like Matusz better because he's a polished lefty who strikes out a lot of batters, which is valuable in fantasy. Crawford is also a good selection but depending on who drafts him, he may be moved to third or outfield by the time he hits the majors, which would make his 20-25 hr projection not all that special for fantasy.
brewcrewreview.com
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Minor League & College Baseball