Why not David Ortiz at pick #3 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why not David Ortiz at pick #3

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why not David Ortiz at pick #3

Postby horatio » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:40 pm

After A-Rod and Holliday:

Like many people have noted, a good 1st round pick isn't likely to help you win your league, but a bad one can certainly make it very difficult to win it. So given the fact that Pujols is a potential question mark and that Ortiz (in a 5x5) was the 4th ranked hitter in 05, and the 8th ranked in 06 & 07, I"m looking at Ortiz as a nice, fairly safe pick, who I expect will end 08 in the top 10, and I'd be perfectly comfortable taking him at #3 if, God forbid, that's my draft spot.

Just seems that David Ortiz is getting undervalued a bit. I could see Wright at #3, but I'm leaning towards Ortiz there. In mock drafts I constantly get "bad" votes for taking him in the top 10 and it just makes me laugh, he played hurt in 07 and still was ranked better than both Fielder and Howard, I think he could have another huge year.
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Why not David Ortiz at pick #3

Postby Az480Trojan » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:05 pm

I don't want to lock up my uitily spot that early.
Az480Trojan
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby horatio » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:07 pm

understandable, he's 1b eligible in yahoo leagues so I should have stuck in the disclaimer - I'm assuming for sake of argument that he's not just a DH.
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby jake_harv88 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:15 pm

I'm not so sure Holliday is my number 2 pick. Personally its a toss up between Wright and HanRam...

I have Howard over Ortiz this year but wouldn't consider taking either of them in the top 5. I think there are players at much scarcer positions that provide just as much production. I would take anyone of the following over Ortiz: Wright, HanRam, Mcab, Utley, Reyes, Howard. I agree that Ortiz is a very "safe" 1st round pick but considering the depth of the 1B position I think you have to discredit him somewhat... ;-D
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:28 pm

can you explain to me how utley, wright, and mcab are questionable picks? theres no risk in any of those 3 in my opinion and when its close you always go young. its not like ortiz had one injury and played through it. hes an older guy who most people feel will be playing banged up and achy now for good. he has a very bad knee, that will likely be "bad" for the rest of his career. im not disagreeing with ortiz being a great and steady producer, but 1.03 is way too early for him, but i see the argument for taking him late in the 1st or early 2nd.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby sycamore » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:32 pm

Knee surgury on a player his size may be trouble
sycamore
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby horatio » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:38 pm

I get what your saying but I no longer buy into the "position scarcity" factor - I figure I got 9 offensive positions to fill and it doesn't make any difference to me what positions I fill first, my only concern is that my drafts picks don't underperform their drafted spot. For example, catcher is a scarce position and I haven't seen VMart crack the top 75 but he's continually drafted in the 3rd round, to me that's just crazy.
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:59 pm

horatio wrote:I get what your saying but I no longer buy into the "position scarcity" factor - I figure I got 9 offensive positions to fill and it doesn't make any difference to me what positions I fill first, my only concern is that my drafts picks don't underperform their drafted spot. For example, catcher is a scarce position and I haven't seen VMart crack the top 75 but he's continually drafted in the 3rd round, to me that's just crazy.

well i agree to a certain extent but you have to take positions into account.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby J35J » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:21 am

While I agree with you that Holliday is #2....I can't put Ortiz #3. I thought I was higher on Ortiz than most everyone. :-? He is definately top 10 for me but not top 5.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:07 am

J35J wrote:While I agree with you that Holliday is #2....I can't put Ortiz #3. I thought I was higher on Ortiz than most everyone. :-? He is definately top 10 for me but not top 5.

I agree with this... I don't even think I'd take him #3 at his own position (if he qualifies at 1B in your league). I'd rather have Howard, Fielder, and Pujols... I put him above Teixeira, among 1B.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers