Tigers lock up Granderson - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Tigers lock up Granderson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Tigers lock up Granderson

Postby Yoda » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:08 pm

DETROIT -- Outfielder Curtis Granderson and the Detroit Tigers agreed Monday to a five-year contract that includes a club option for 2013.

The deal is worth $30.25 million, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

The contract covers Granderson's arbitration-eligible seasons and buys out one season of free agency.

Granderson had a breakout season last year, hitting .302 with 23 homers and 74 RBIs along with 38 doubles, 23 triples and 26 stolen bases.

"We are excited to have Curtis signed to a long-term contract with the Tigers organization," Tigers president Dave Dombrowski said. "Curtis is one of the best young players in the game and a quality individual that represents the Tigers well both on and off the field."

Last season, the 26-year-old Granderson joined Jimmy Rollins, Willie Mays and Frank "Wildfire" Schulte as the only players in major league history with 20 stolen bases, 20 homers, 20 triples and 20 doubles in a single season.

story

5 yrs for $30.25 mil seems like a bargain for a 26 CF who does everything well. I think he would have gotten a lot more during his arby years.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Tigers lock up Granderson

Postby BlueBandit24 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:12 pm

Good deal for the Tigers. As loaded as that lineup is, Granderson is the straw that stirs the drink, IMO. They locked up a very good player at a very reasonable price.

Kudos to GiantsFan14 for the sig.
BlueBandit24
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:17 pm

Assuming that Granderson's Ks don't catch up with him the Tigers have made a very nice signing. For all the big money deals they have, DD also seems to sprinkle in some good value contracts. Granderson, Bonderman, Guillen to name a few. Granderson will be in his prime at the end of this deal and should be able to score a big deal. I hope.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby sycamore » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:26 pm

I would love to see him bat 3rd..With his contact rate..he could drive in 125 runs
sycamore
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Yoda » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:30 pm

moochman wrote:Assuming that Granderson's Ks don't catch up with him the Tigers have made a very nice signing. For all the big money deals they have, DD also seems to sprinkle in some good value contracts. Granderson, Bonderman, Guillen to name a few. Granderson will be in his prime at the end of this deal and should be able to score a big deal. I hope.

Considering what Vernon Wells, Torii Hunter and Andruw Jones are going for, I'd say they did very well. Granted he isn't a free agent any time soon but he is younger, faster and has more upside than those guys.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:27 pm

Fantastic deal.
If Grandy can get his walks up to 80+ a year (which he should in time) he will be out of this world.
I like the ominous look of those triples being converted into HRs :-L :-L :-L :-L .
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 143)

Postby High Heater » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:52 am

Very very good signing by the tigers. he's a fixture for them and is not in his prime yet. alot of upside still here.
High Heater
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby MTUCache » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:00 am

As I said at the end of last season... I think Granderson has a unique opportunity to really become the next iconic athlete/celebrity of Detroit.

His highlight reel grows longer with every game he plays; his smile is infectious; his attitude is sterling; and he's a well-spoken, articulate, educated guy who has mass-appeal over all demographics. While other stars may stand out above him in statistics, none of them have the capability of really grabbing the attention of the entire cross-section of Detroit.

I honestly think this guy is the next Stevie Y. I'm expecting to see him painted on the side of a building somewhere in Greektown/Foxtown in the next couple of years... probably right behind CF. ;-D

Unbelievably sweet deal worked out by Dombrowski. I hope that when this contract is up they have the opportunity to sign him to another multi-year deal somewhere in the neighborhood of $12M/year. I'm pretty sure he's going to be earning it.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby moochman » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:39 am

MTUCache wrote:As I said at the end of last season... I think Granderson has a unique opportunity to really become the next iconic athlete/celebrity of Detroit.

His highlight reel grows longer with every game he plays; his smile is infectious; his attitude is sterling; and he's a well-spoken, articulate, educated guy who has mass-appeal over all demographics. While other stars may stand out above him in statistics, none of them have the capability of really grabbing the attention of the entire cross-section of Detroit.

I honestly think this guy is the next Stevie Y. I'm expecting to see him painted on the side of a building somewhere in Greektown/Foxtown in the next couple of years... probably right behind CF. ;-D

Unbelievably sweet deal worked out by Dombrowski. I hope that when this contract is up they have the opportunity to sign him to another multi-year deal somewhere in the neighborhood of $12M/year. I'm pretty sure he's going to be earning it.

Curtis seems to do an awful lot of charitable work in the community too. The man is a class act. I hope I never hear a bad word of him. If he can learn to hit lefties better he will be an absolute steal for the Tigers. As it is already it's a very shrewd move by a man who seems not to be able to do wrong. DD for president....I wonder if he'd take the demotion?
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers