Need to buy contact lenses w/o a prescription - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Need to buy contact lenses w/o a prescription

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Need to buy contact lenses w/o a prescription

Postby Madison » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:36 am

Sticky Spice wrote:Right, so when they first fit you for contacts you're pretty much done unless for some reason you have eyes that change shape. My prescription works perfectly, it's just expired.

I'm no eye doctor, but my understanding is that it's not unusal at all for there to be minute changes in eye shape over time. Plus tons and tons of people think their eyes are "fine" because they "think" they see perfectly when in fact they don't. Not saying you fall into that, just that the policy is in place in big part due to that reason.

Sticky Spice wrote:Okay, so how about I expect that insurance companies WANT their insured to see to the best of their abilities - driving cars comes to mind? I'm thinking that's either good business sense or I'm detached from reality.

Lo pretty well nailed this one, but why would your eye insurance care in the least about you driving a car?

Oh, and don't look now, but that's exactly the type of reasoning behind the fitting fee you're upset about. ;-) If they just hand out contacts like candy, and someone has a wreck because they "think" they can see just fine, when they really can't, who's lives are in danger? Answer: Everyone's.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sticky Spice » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:31 am

Madison wrote:
I'm no eye doctor, but my understanding is that it's not unusal at all for there to be minute changes in eye shape over time. Plus tons and tons of people think their eyes are "fine" because they "think" they see perfectly when in fact they don't. Not saying you fall into that, just that the policy is in place in big part due to that reason.

Seems like a vision test would determine how well you can see with your contacts?

Sticky Spice wrote:Okay, so how about I expect that insurance companies WANT their insured to see to the best of their abilities - driving cars comes to mind? I'm thinking that's either good business sense or I'm detached from reality.

Madison wrote:Lo pretty well nailed this one, but why would your eye insurance care in the least about you driving a car?

Oh, and don't look now, but that's exactly the type of reasoning behind the fitting fee you're upset about. ;-) If they just hand out contacts like candy, and someone has a wreck because they "think" they can see just fine, when they really can't, who's lives are in danger? Answer: Everyone's.

I never said I had a problem with the prescription expiring after one year - so I'm not expecting them to hand out contacts like candy. I just know from the times I have received eye exams before contacts and after contacts (same doctor) that there was absolutely no change in how I was examined with the exception of me having to remove my contacts for part of the examination.

Regarding the car accident, do you think insurance will cover the chronic health problems that could result for the rest of your life? Do you think you even know what chronic health problems will result at the time of the settlement?

I know where I work, for a self-insured local government, that preventative care is a HUGE deal right now. We're trying to keep costs down and to do that we're pushing preventative care. We've established an employee wellness committee, and just started a 15-week program called Eat Smart, Move More, Weigh Less at almost zero cost to employees.

My opinion is that seeing to the best of your ability is preventative care. My argument is that the fitting fee is an invented scheme that has nothing to do with seeing to the best of your ability. I guess we'll just go around in circles unless someone here knows something about this that is an uninterested third party.
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 39)

Postby Yoda » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:50 am

Eye exams are no worse than dental exams. Nowadays dentists require you to come in for an initial exam then schedule an appointment for cleaning and then whatever work that needs to be done. So it takes at least 3 visits to get some minor work done. If you don't have insurance, then you are pretty much screwed.

See if whoever you saw last time can hook you up with some contacts. If you've been to him more than once or twice then there shouldn't be any problems.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Madison » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:56 pm

Sticky Spice wrote:Seems like a vision test would determine how well you can see with your contacts?

Sure, a vision test can tell everyone involved how well you currently see. It wouldn't show the doctor if there were any minute changes to the shape of the eye though, and a minute change could be enough to cause a contact to not fit properly, resulting in contacts possibly falling out, blurred vision, double vision, etc. Hey, I agree, I hate all the fees and the costs associated with contacts, but they aren't a "need", they are a luxury, so that means if I want them, I've got to pay for that luxury. Be happy you've got insurance to help buffer the cost, most people are not so lucky. I'll probably wind up with Lasik at some point simply due to what I spend on a regular basis. Would save me quite a bit of money.

Sticky Spice wrote:I never said I had a problem with the prescription expiring after one year - so I'm not expecting them to hand out contacts like candy. I just know from the times I have received eye exams before contacts and after contacts (same doctor) that there was absolutely no change in how I was examined with the exception of me having to remove my contacts for part of the examination.

Regarding the car accident, do you think insurance will cover the chronic health problems that could result for the rest of your life? Do you think you even know what chronic health problems will result at the time of the settlement?

I know where I work, for a self-insured local government, that preventative care is a HUGE deal right now. We're trying to keep costs down and to do that we're pushing preventative care. We've established an employee wellness committee, and just started a 15-week program called Eat Smart, Move More, Weigh Less at almost zero cost to employees.

My opinion is that seeing to the best of your ability is preventative care. My argument is that the fitting fee is an invented scheme that has nothing to do with seeing to the best of your ability. I guess we'll just go around in circles unless someone here knows something about this that is an uninterested third party.

True, I wore glasses in my younger years too, and can't say the exams for glasses and contacts are different. I'd be willing to be there's one test or exam or something though that isn't normally done if all I wanted was glasses. Can't say for sure though.

Really why I responded though was your comment about the car accident. What settlement? Hypothetically, if your contact falls out and you have an accident, you won't be getting one nickel as far as a settlement goes. Your car insurance will pay for the damages (provided you have enough coverage to cover the amount of the damage - if not, you'll pay the remainder out of your pocket), but what are you going to do? Sue your eye insurance? You'll never win as they have zero responsibility there. The only way you could have a remote chance of getting any money is to sue the eye doctor for giving you a prescription without doing the proper exam (means he broke the law), but most likely you still won't get a nickel because you wanted him to break the law to save you a couple of bucks. The doc will get into trouble, possibly lose his license, but you'll be laughed out of the courtroom.

Seeing is preventative care? Uhhh... gotta disagree with that. Seeing to the best of your ability is being able to see and function in the world. Has nothing to do with preventative care. Ensuring your eyes are properly moisturized so you don't have health problems is preventative care. Not wearing contacts with calcium deposits on them is preventative care. Don't look now, but paying the fitting fee to ensure your contacts fit correctly is preventative care. Getting an exam to fix a problem isn't preventative care because the eyes are already damaged. You're fixing a problem, not preventing one. If your car is in an accident and needs body work, does that count as routine maintenance (preventative care)? Certainly not, oil changes and things of that nature would fall into that category. Your eyes are no different, you're fixing a problem because they are damaged (mine too ;-) ), but it's not preventative care.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Previous

Return to General Talk