Need to buy contact lenses w/o a prescription - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Need to buy contact lenses w/o a prescription

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Need to buy contact lenses w/o a prescription

Postby Sticky Spice » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:00 pm

I need to buy some contacts ASAP, but I don't have time for an annual exam - plus I hate that my eye dr tries to screw me every time with some made up "fitting fee" for contact lens wearers that obviously is not covered by any insurance plan.

Anyone know a good website that either sells w/o a prescription or asks but doesn't check? I wear Bausch & Lomb PureVisions.

More about this "fitting fee" - I happened to go with my mom to her eye dr on the other side of the country and they had the exact same thing. What a racket. i don't know if it's gouging or if they're trying to make up $$ they lose when people take their prescriptions with them and don't buy at the doctor's office and their jacked up prices.
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 39)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Need to buy contact lenses w/o a prescription

Postby Big Pimpin » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:03 pm

Sticky Spice wrote:I need to buy some contacts ASAP, but I don't have time for an annual exam - plus I hate that my eye dr tries to screw me every time with some made up "fitting fee" for contact lens wearers that obviously is not covered by any insurance plan.

Anyone know a good website that either sells w/o a prescription or asks but doesn't check? I wear Bausch & Lomb PureVisions.

More about this "fitting fee" - I happened to go with my mom to her eye dr on the other side of the country and they had the exact same thing. What a racket. i don't know if it's gouging or if they're trying to make up $$ they lose when people take their prescriptions with them and don't buy at the doctor's office and their jacked up prices.

I tried to do this once and couldn't... I know that every place I checked into asked for a prescription that they could verify before shipping...
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Yoda » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:33 pm

Sticky Spice wrote:I need to buy some contacts ASAP, but I don't have time for an annual exam - plus I hate that my eye dr tries to screw me every time with some made up "fitting fee" for contact lens wearers that obviously is not covered by any insurance plan.

Go to Costco. I think you can schedule an exam and get the lenses there.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Madison » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:44 pm

If your eyes are easy, then most eye doctors have your lenses in stock. You'll walk out wearing a pair. If you're like me, and need toric lenses because your eyes are that bad, then most can get really close and you'll wear a pair of those while they order the ones you need. ;-D

Oh, and it's illegal for a company to sell contacts without a prescription, so you'll have to go underground to find a company that will. And note the Cafe can get into trouble if we allow discussions on how/where to break the law out in public, so everyone please be careful with what you say/post. Thanks. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:50 pm

i agree the fitting fee sucks, but cmon, contacts are a luxury...shouldnt be any reason you cant wear glasses. you wouldnt expect your insurance company to foot the bill for Lasik, would you?
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Madison » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:06 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:i agree the fitting fee sucks, but cmon, contacts are a luxury...shouldnt be any reason you cant wear glasses. you wouldnt expect your insurance company to foot the bill for Lasik, would you?

I thought a few insurance companies were already covering Lasik. :-?

But that is a good point about contacts being a luxury. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Sticky Spice » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:02 pm

I'm saying that the fitting fee is unjustified and just completely made up.

If your contacts are working for you, you don't need to be refitted. The exam for a contact lens wearer vs a non-contact lens wearer is identical except that you'll take your contacts out when it's time to get your eyes dialated.

Off topic, my insurance does cover some on Lasik. Yes, I expect insurance to help me to see to the best of my ability. In the long run Lasik is cheaper to them than whatever they may pay on my glasses for the rest of my life. I think Lasik is supposed to help many see better than they do with glasses.
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer

Postby Madison » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:55 pm

Sticky Spice wrote:I'm saying that the fitting fee is unjustified and just completely made up.

Eyes aren't just round and identical. :-b

While I agree that a "fitting fee" may be high, it is necessary to ensure the contacts fit properly.

Sticky Spice wrote:Yes, I expect insurance to help me to see to the best of my ability.

That's not the insurance company's responsibility, that's your responsibility. :-?

And all of this is from someone who pays $300+ every 6 months for contacts, on top of the same fees (if not more) that you're paying.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Sticky Spice » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:30 pm

Madison wrote:
Sticky Spice wrote:I'm saying that the fitting fee is unjustified and just completely made up.

Eyes aren't just round and identical. :-b

While I agree that a "fitting fee" may be high, it is necessary to ensure the contacts fit properly.

Right, so when they first fit you for contacts you're pretty much done unless for some reason you have eyes that change shape. My prescription works perfectly, it's just expired.

Sticky Spice wrote:Yes, I expect insurance to help me to see to the best of my ability.

Madison wrote:That's not the insurance company's responsibility, that's your responsibility. :-?

Okay, so how about I expect that insurance companies WANT their insured to see to the best of their abilities - driving cars comes to mind? I'm thinking that's either good business sense or I'm detached from reality.
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:56 pm

Okay, so how about I expect that insurance companies WANT their insured to see to the best of their abilities - driving cars comes to mind? I'm thinking that's either good business sense or I'm detached from reality.

Unless you have some kind of umbrella policy that covers your medical and car insurance, I don't see the correlation.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Next

Return to General Talk