Why take Albert in the 1st Round? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why take Albert in the 1st Round?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Why take Albert in the 1st Round?

Postby RynMan » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:14 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
RynMan wrote:Do you guys not think that Hanley Ramirez at #2 is a risky pick?

For a guy who has 2 good years, showed no power in the minors, playing in an extreme hitter's park, on a team who lost their best run producer, and in a division that saw it's pitching get better? Oh, and he also had off-season labral surgery for a partial dislocation (which by the way, tend to reoccur).

i assume you mean pitcher's park ;-)

No, I mean hitter's park. He'll get overwhelmed by the effect and it will inversely affect his performance.

Okay....so I meant pitcher's park. !+)

H0rt, what's your take on Hanley? Do you think he's being a little overvalued?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nsulham » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:22 pm

RynMan wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:

For a guy who has 2 good years, showed no power in the minors, playing in an extreme hitter's park, on a team who lost their best run producer, and in a division that saw it's pitching get better? Oh, and he also had off-season labral surgery for a partial dislocation (which by the way, tend to reoccur).

No, I mean hitter's park. He'll get overwhelmed by the effect and it will inversely affect his performance.

Remember h0rt, our Aussie friend is a little "backwards" so hitting=pitching and vice versa to him. Kinda like the whole toilet water flushing the opposite way thing.

But yeah, I'm seeing Hanley a lot at #2 and I'm staying away if I have that pick. Little too high for my blood.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:44 pm

RynMan wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:

I wouldn't take him 2nd overall. Then again, I'd have to see just how serious an injury he is dealing with -- provided he should be expected to be healthy all year, he's a Top 5 Pick with Wright, Holliday, Reyes.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby RynMan » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:10 pm

nsulham wrote:Remember h0rt, our Aussie friend is a little "backwards" so hitting=pitching and vice versa to him. Kinda like the whole toilet water flushing the opposite way thing.

Yeah, and if it seems I like you, I actually do not. }:-)
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby nsulham » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:19 pm

RynMan wrote:
nsulham wrote:Remember h0rt, our Aussie friend is a little "backwards" so hitting=pitching and vice versa to him. Kinda like the whole toilet water flushing the opposite way thing.

Yeah, and if it seems I like you, I actually do not. }:-)

Touche, touche ;-)
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dark Knight » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:58 pm

Pujols had a .631slugging percentage after the All-Star break last year. What's the big problem with him this season? Thanks. :-)
Dark Knight
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Rotundor » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:06 pm

Dark Knight wrote:Pujols had a .631slugging percentage after the All-Star break last year. What's the big problem with him this season? Thanks. :-)

His elbow has been acting up and reports say he can't straighten it out.

He has been playing through pain the past season(s) and won't be doing so this year.

If this is the case, he will get season-ending surgery mid-season; the losing ways of the Cards will not help to keep him playing.

I think that's about it.
Rotundor
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Dark Knight » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:35 pm

Rotundor wrote:
Dark Knight wrote:Pujols had a .631slugging percentage after the All-Star break last year. What's the big problem with him this season? Thanks. :-)

His elbow has been acting up and reports say he can't straighten it out.

He has been playing through pain the past season(s) and won't be doing so this year.

If this is the case, he will get season-ending surgery mid-season; the losing ways of the Cards will not help to keep him playing.

I think that's about it.

Pujols has said he will be getting surgery in mid-season? Is there a link for this? Thanks. :-)
Dark Knight
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Rotundor » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:36 am

Dark Knight wrote:
Pujols has said he will be getting surgery in mid-season? Is there a link for this? Thanks. :-)

From Rotoworld:

Pujols also admitted he was very close to undergoing an elbow operation after last season, but opted against it when he learned how long it would shelve him. He says his hamstring and calf injuries have healed, but Pujols did concede that should the elbow woes flare up again, he won't play through pain again like he did in 2007.

Source: St Louis Post-Dispatch
link
Rotundor
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jcook3127 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:09 am

I wish someone could call up Phat Albert and ask him if he's serious...

But, as it stands, I couldn't take him in the first round. You must minimize risk with your first selection and Pujols certainly doesn't do that this season...if he was healthy (hell, even if he didn't SAY THAT), I'd take him at 1.2...but I think Pujols has a [EDIT] attitude..he's going to be on a losing team, he seems very selfish..I can definitely see him derailing fantasy teams this season

And if he doesn't? Well, then most likely people who pass on him made a mistake...but thats not to say their own first rounder didn't play up to par
Why don't they just get a house that's already painted?
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers