Why take Albert in the 1st Round? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why take Albert in the 1st Round?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Why take Albert in the 1st Round?

Postby Yoda » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:50 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Yoda wrote:I could be wrong but a Pujols caliber player wouldn't opt for surgery at his peak age unless the injury greatly affects his numbers. Plenty of position players have played through elbow ligament injury. As long as it doesn't affect his throwing, he will be fine. Stop overreacting.

You're conclusion jumping just as much as people who are presuming that he will indeed have surgery. The notion that he is a higher risk pick this year than in previous years is certainly reasonable -- you have to admit that. Failure to do so ends the conversation right there. From that point, it comes down to strategy, specifically with pertaining to the first round. It's risk vs. reward. The reward of Albert Pujols being the #1 player in all of fantasy -- the risk being that he plays in X number of games and calls it a day. These are both very realistic scenarios. Some people wouldn't dream of letting him slip past Pick 1.2, while others wouldn't dream of taking him in Round 1 -- you can't say that either are necessarily wrong here.

For me, I'm passing on Pujols in Round 1. I'm just more comfortable grabbing Wright, Holliday, Reyes, and looking to get a guy like Teixeira as my 1B if I have an early 1st Round/late 2nd Round pick. If he has fallen to me late in Round 1, I'd probably just select Howard or Fielder as my 1B there, as I feel there is less risk, with the reward being near what it is of Pujols. Like I said, it's all about strategy and perception. I certainly don't think those taking him #2 overall are wrong for doing so, nor do I think those who are passing on him all together are, either.

Well, I was reacting to the post that said a poster wouldn't take him with his top 12 picks. If you want to take someone else that's fine but going that far is just too over the top for me.

Everyone is acting like Pujols is definitely headed for surgery and that clearly is not the case. Even if he puts up 07 numbers he is still a high first round pick at least for me based on his floor and ceiling. If you don't then that is fine. Just don't act like the sky is falling because Pujols made a public statement that he won't play through pain.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:40 pm

CadensDad wrote:Please give me 12 better players

Well, replacement level is better than anyone who's sitting at home recovering from surgery, so...

Replacement level
Replacement level
Replacement level
Replacement level
Replacement level
Replacement level
Replacement level
Replacement level
Replacement level
Replacement level
Replacement level
Replacement level
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Rotundor » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:20 pm

For the doubters, at what point in a draft do you think his potential outweighs his risk?

I'd probably take him late second or third depending on who i've already drafted. Call me nuts if you want.

Of course, this could change depending on new reports.
Rotundor
College Coach
College Coach

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:25 pm

Rotundor wrote:For the doubters, at what point in a draft do you think his potential outweighs his risk?

I'd probably take him late second or third depending on who i've already drafted. Call me nuts if you want.

I'd say just about any point in the second round. At that point, you've picked your "guaranteed stud." If you had a chance to get two first rounders, you'd have to take it.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Grounded Polo » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:26 pm

Rotundor wrote:For the doubters, at what point in a draft do you think his potential outweighs his risk?

It's not worth trying to figure out that out because unless there is official news stating Pujols will be out for X amount of time, he's going in the first round, no questions asked.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby jake_harv88 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:28 pm

StlSluggers wrote:

I'd say just about any point in the second round. At that point, you've picked your "guaranteed stud." If you had a chance to get two first rounders, you'd have to take it.

Yeah I agree here. There is certainly a list of players in my mind that are guaranteed to produce first round numbers. Why not take them over pujols? After that i would certainly grab him. The aforementioned list is not totally ridiculous in my mind...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby RynMan » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:10 pm

Do you guys not think that Hanley Ramirez at #2 is a risky pick?

For a guy who has 2 good years, showed no power in the minors, playing in an extreme pitcher's park, on a team who lost their best run producer, and in a division that saw it's pitching get better? Oh, and he also had off-season labral surgery for a partial dislocation (which by the way, tend to reoccur).
Last edited by RynMan on Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby sycamore » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:29 pm

Cardinals should trade Pujols NOW..Their organization is in turmoil and fans would prefer some honesty regarding the teams intentions to compete this year
sycamore
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:38 pm

sycamore wrote:Cardinals should trade Pujols NOW..Their organization is in turmoil and fans would prefer some honesty regarding the teams intentions to compete this year

Crazy talk
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:12 pm

RynMan wrote:Do you guys not think that Hanley Ramirez at #2 is a risky pick?

For a guy who has 2 good years, showed no power in the minors, playing in an extreme hitter's park, on a team who lost their best run producer, and in a division that saw it's pitching get better? Oh, and he also had off-season labral surgery for a partial dislocation (which by the way, tend to reoccur).

i assume you mean pitcher's park ;-)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers