Why take Albert in the 1st Round? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why take Albert in the 1st Round?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Why take Albert in the 1st Round?

Postby Yoda » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:32 am

You people are so fickle...
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:33 am

I don't have any doubt Pujols can play with the injury and be productive. He has done it in years past. The big fear in my mind is that he opts for surgery.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)

Postby High Heater » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:37 am

bigh0rt wrote:
High Heater wrote:i actualy preffer filling out either 3B or SS myself in the 1st because you have a good chance at getting either fielder or howard in the 2nd of some drafts.

i do not like what i hear on alberts elbow, nor do i like that line-up.

I don't think I've seen either of those guys fall past Pick 15 or so in any mock or draft I've seen this season; and they are almost always both taken in Round 1.

IN MANY 10 TEAMERS I WAS EASILY ABLE TO SNAGE A HANLEY/REYES AND A FIELDER/HOWARD IN THE FIRST2 *EDIT sorry bout the caps too lazy to go back and change
High Heater
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby hot4tx » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:50 am

Yeah I know. It sounds so over-the-top to even think about Pujols dropping out of round 1. If he's healthy in spring I'd probably change my mind, but right now if you're pick #2 through #10 in a 12-teamer and the clock was on you, would you honestly feel good about pulling the trigger on Pujols right now?
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby CadensDad » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:09 pm

hot4tx wrote:

Yeah I know. It sounds so over-the-top to even think about Pujols dropping out of round 1. If he's healthy in spring I'd probably change my mind, but right now if you're pick #2 through #10 in a 12-teamer and the clock was on you, would you honestly feel good about pulling the trigger on Pujols right now?

Please sign me up for a league your in, if you'll let Pujols fall to the 2nd round I need to be in your league......... Please give me 12 better players

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby hot4tx » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:29 pm

Arod, Hanley, Jose Reyes, Rollins, Miggy, Wright, Holliday, Utley, Howard, Fielder, Ortiz and Beltran would be better 1st round options as of today IMO. Again a first rounder won't win you a league, but drafting a guy carrying as much risk as Pujols is can kill you.

He has an injured elbow (that's been confirmed by player, coach and trainer), he reportedly can't even straighten his arm out right now per Pujols, and both he and his coach have said he's not going to play through a injury like he did last year.

...and if you don't agree cool, tell me why. There's no need for baseless mocking posts here.
Please sign me up for a league your in, if you'll let Pujols fall to the 2nd round I need to be in your league.........
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby Yoda » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:49 pm

hot4tx wrote:Arod, Hanley, Jose Reyes, Rollins, Miggy, Wright, Holliday, Utley, Howard, Fielder, Ortiz and Beltran would be better 1st round options as of today IMO. Again a first rounder won't win you a league, but drafting a guy carrying as much risk as Pujols is can kill you.

He has an injured elbow (that's been confirmed by player, coach and trainer), he reportedly can't even straighten his arm out right now per Pujols, and both he and his coach have said he's not going to play through a injury like he did last year.

...and if you don't agree cool, tell me why. There's no need for baseless mocking posts here.
Please sign me up for a league your in, if you'll let Pujols fall to the 2nd round I need to be in your league.........

I could be wrong but a Pujols caliber player wouldn't opt for surgery at his peak age unless the injury greatly affects his numbers. Plenty of position players have played through elbow ligament injury. As long as it doesn't affect his throwing, he will be fine. Stop overreacting.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:25 pm

Yoda wrote:
hot4tx wrote:Arod, Hanley, Jose Reyes, Rollins, Miggy, Wright, Holliday, Utley, Howard, Fielder, Ortiz and Beltran would be better 1st round options as of today IMO. Again a first rounder won't win you a league, but drafting a guy carrying as much risk as Pujols is can kill you.

I could be wrong but a Pujols caliber player wouldn't opt for surgery at his peak age unless the injury greatly affects his numbers. Plenty of position players have played through elbow ligament injury. As long as it doesn't affect his throwing, he will be fine. Stop overreacting.

You're conclusion jumping just as much as people who are presuming that he will indeed have surgery. The notion that he is a higher risk pick this year than in previous years is certainly reasonable -- you have to admit that. Failure to do so ends the conversation right there. From that point, it comes down to strategy, specifically with pertaining to the first round. It's risk vs. reward. The reward of Albert Pujols being the #1 player in all of fantasy -- the risk being that he plays in X number of games and calls it a day. These are both very realistic scenarios. Some people wouldn't dream of letting him slip past Pick 1.2, while others wouldn't dream of taking him in Round 1 -- you can't say that either are necessarily wrong here.

For me, I'm passing on Pujols in Round 1. I'm just more comfortable grabbing Wright, Holliday, Reyes, and looking to get a guy like Teixeira as my 1B if I have an early 1st Round/late 2nd Round pick. If he has fallen to me late in Round 1, I'd probably just select Howard or Fielder as my 1B there, as I feel there is less risk, with the reward being near what it is of Pujols. Like I said, it's all about strategy and perception. I certainly don't think those taking him #2 overall are wrong for doing so, nor do I think those who are passing on him all together are, either.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)

Postby Az480Trojan » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:30 pm

I'm avoiding Albert this year. Great player, but I just can't take a risk in round #1. If he goes off he goes off, but I'll most likely still be happy with my first round pick.
Az480Trojan
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Ender » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:35 pm

I still like Pujols in the middle of the 1st round but I fully understand those that do not. Pujols was not a 1st round value last year, he is playing this season with the same poor lineup and the same injury concerns. People think the odds are just too high he is not worth a 1st round pick again this year.

There really is nothing at all wrong with that logic. I still think the upside is too high to let him fall past the 7th pick or so, but I am not going to think a league is a joke if he slips farther, he really is a big risk this year.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers