Why not D.Wright #2? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why not D.Wright #2?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Why not D.Wright #2?

Postby silverZ » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:54 am

I would take Wright 2nd. Reyes is average except for speed and runs. Pulojs has that elbow and horrible lineup. Hanley has his shouder and lineup questions as well. Wright seems like the safest option.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby abrage22 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:10 pm

this is what stinks about the 2nd pick though. its obvious AROD should go number 1. theres a pretty big difference between arod and anyone else, and its just the difference of one pick. def wouldn't want the 2nd pick this year, although i really want wright, but i could prabably get him at 4 or 5, if not him theres other good players to take yet obviously.
abrage22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Ender » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:17 pm

It really isn't that big of a deal. 2 of the past 4 years ARod hasn't been any better than what I project the #2-#5 guys to be this year so there is a good shot that getting him isn't some huge bonus over the #2 pick. I'd still rather have him but I doubt it makes a big difference.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:27 pm

I can see Arod regressing a little this year. He'll still be great but it wouldn't surprise me if there are other players who put up better overall numbers.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:06 pm

This is hardly a bold statement as it's one man vs. the field, but I do not think A-Rod will be the #1 fantasy player this year. He's had down years (by his standards) after each of his previous 2 MVPs, particularly in the SLG departmnt. Not that I wouldn't draft him 1st overall pre-season, and of course you can say that about pretty much any player, so as I said, not a bold statement; but I don't think A-Rod finishes the season #1.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 354)

Postby Chicago 2 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:29 pm

cannonarm21 wrote:I have yet to see a mock draft where Wright goes #2. Why not? A young 3B on a good team coming off a 30/30 season, hitting .325. If I drafted #2 (which I don't) that is who I would take.

Well then you should have been in one of my mocks ;-D

I had second pick and took Wright and everyone said I was stupid.

Its really a no-brainer in the second slot:
-Reyes avg is dropping and his HR numbers are never too high and I like getting a big HR hitter early otherwise I find I fair poorly in that category.

- Hanley is an enticing pick, but with M Cab leaving and him moving to the third spot in the lineup it just makes me feel his steals will decrease which would be the reason Id draft him.

- Pujols, if it weren't for this elbow talk I'd love to take him with the second selection but until thats put to rest I just can't touch him.

In retrospect I would take Wright with the #2 pick and I completely agree with what you said, he gives you 30/30 numbers and a .300+ average and is on a very good hitting team, you really can't pass a consistent player like him up.
Chicago 2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby fantasybaseballfan1 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:20 pm

I think Wright is a better option then Hanley at #2 but I'd rather draft Howard, Johan or Holliday ahead of Wright. My view on the first round is just making sure that at the end of the year the guy you got was ranked in the top 12. Wright may have the best chance out of those four to be #1 but Holliday's been top 10 for two straight years, Howard would have been if he wasn't hurt for a month last year and Johan has been top 10 for three straight years.
fantasybaseballfan1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:08 pm

fantasybaseballfan1 wrote:I think Wright is a better option then Hanley at #2 but I'd rather draft Howard, Johan or Holliday ahead of Wright. My view on the first round is just making sure that at the end of the year the guy you got was ranked in the top 12. Wright may have the best chance out of those four to be #1 but Holliday's been top 10 for two straight years, Howard would have been if he wasn't hurt for a month last year and Johan has been top 10 for three straight years.

I 100% agree with this logic but I think Wright is just as much a sure thing as all the others you listed. Plus, he's only like 25 so if anything he should keep improving.
Sp_Da_Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:19 pm

bigh0rt wrote:This is hardly a bold statement as it's one man vs. the field, but I do not think A-Rod will be the #1 fantasy player this year. He's had down years (by his standards) after each of his previous 2 MVPs, particularly in the SLG departmnt. Not that I wouldn't draft him 1st overall pre-season, and of course you can say that about pretty much any player, so as I said, not a bold statement; but I don't think A-Rod finishes the season #1.

It's just difficult to guess who has the potential to perform as the best hitter in the game. People don't really think Wright, Holliday, and Hanley can possibly improve much more upon their current numbers and Pujols has a bad elbow and a worse lineup. Miggy definitely has the potential to become the #1 pick going into '09 because no one thinks he's reached his ceiling and he's moved to an excellent lineup.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Ender » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:28 pm

yeah but jsut keep in mind ARod has been nowhere near as good as last season in 2 of his previous 3 years, not anywhere within the same range at all. There was a very good reason people didn't universally draft him #1 last year, it wasn't just being foolish. He had hit .290 or lower 2 of the previous 3 years, he had hit 36 or fewer Hr's in 2 of 3 years, he had scored 113 or fewer runs in 2 of 3 years, he had hit 106 and 121 RBI.

Those are still great numbers but they aren't OMG no doubt 1st round pick style numbers. ARod has reached the point where his stats are erratic. He is still the smart pick at #1 but who knows if he'll be the best overall next season.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers