Why not D.Wright #2? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why not D.Wright #2?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Why not D.Wright #2?

Postby Rounders » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:35 pm

I started taking D Wright #2 in mock drafts. Then you can get Tex or Berkman as your 1B in the late 2nd/early 3rd. And then Tulo, Jeter or Guillen are usually there in the late 4th/early 5th. I was taking Pujols 2nd, but changed my strategy when I found myself having to pass on Tex, and then on Pena later. I looked at Hanley, but then I'd have to pass on Tulo, Jeter, or Guillen when I felt I'd be getting good value for them. This strategy doesn't matter as much if you play with CI and MI though.
Seems like there are a lot of steals out there to be had this year, so I'm okay with passing on Hanley. And OF seems to be very deep this year, so I like Wright over Holliday.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pochucker » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:39 pm

Im drafting third im taking Holliday -- more HRs rbis Rs prob same or slightly higher avg 10/15 less sb than wright. Wright /Cabrera are my only other two options --not H.Ram or Retes even though that seems to be way other drafts are going.
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Grounded Polo » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:28 pm

AEMRICH wrote:after reading some arguments i would have no problem taking Wright at #2. I think a lot of people are going to jump all over HanRam after his year last year, but i think that losing M-Cab is going to kill some of his numbers. Without many other solid bats around him i wouldn't be surprised if he hits 3rd or 4th meaning an increase in RBI's but a decrease in SB's and R's. I do think that Reyes has a better year than last year but i would rather have Rollins who will be had towards the end of the 1st. Wright at 2 makes sense

It really does just come down to deciding amongst a bunch of relatively arbitrary reasons for #2 after ARod goes off the board now that Pujols is apparently hurting. The difference between picking 2nd and 8th is pretty minimal but I'm going with Wright, Hanley, Holliday, and MCab to round out my top five, with Wright going second because of position and absolutely no questions around his lineup.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby sycamore » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:31 pm

Taking Wrght # 2 takes GUTS, but makes alot of sense . SB from 3b is awesome edge..nice pick! Now if you get Braun...its 50 SB +with 50+ HR from 3rd base!!
sycamore
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby tuckerman85 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:20 pm

sycamore wrote:Taking Wrght # 2 takes GUTS, but makes alot of sense . SB from 3b is awesome edge..nice pick! Now if you get Braun...its 50 SB +with 50+ HR from 3rd base!!

I hope you're combining their stats together.. because I don't see Braun stealing 50+. In addition, I don't see the point in taking two 3B in the first two round. I'm really not sure what you're trying to get at here.
tuckerman85
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sycamore » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:25 pm

of course its combined 3b...Corner 2 3rd baseman...whats wrong with that??
sycamore
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby abrage22 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:30 pm

3rd seems pretty shallow this year :-?
abrage22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:50 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:
AEMRICH wrote:after reading some arguments i would have no problem taking Wright at #2. I think a lot of people are going to jump all over HanRam after his year last year, but i think that losing M-Cab is going to kill some of his numbers. Without many other solid bats around him i wouldn't be surprised if he hits 3rd or 4th meaning an increase in RBI's but a decrease in SB's and R's. I do think that Reyes has a better year than last year but i would rather have Rollins who will be had towards the end of the 1st. Wright at 2 makes sense

It really does just come down to deciding amongst a bunch of relatively arbitrary reasons for #2 after ARod goes off the board now that Pujols is apparently hurting. The difference between picking 2nd and 8th is pretty minimal but I'm going with Wright, Hanley, Holliday, and MCab to round out my top five, with Wright going second because of position and absolutely no questions around his lineup.

It's not arbitrary, it's strategy. Who are your Round 2 targets, etc.? Your 2nd pick should compliment your first, if possible, based on you're strategizing. If you take Reyes 2nd, you have 70 steals banked, if you take Wright, you don't have to worry about 3B and have solid 5-cats; same with Holliday except you get an OF out of the way, so on and so forth. There are several players who are reasonable #2 picks, based on the direction you want to take your team, and what you believe as far as injuries, risk, and reward are concerned.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:09 am

bigh0rt wrote:It's not arbitrary, it's strategy. Who are your Round 2 targets, etc.? Your 2nd pick should compliment your first, if possible, based on you're strategizing. If you take Reyes 2nd, you have 70 steals banked, if you take Wright, you don't have to worry about 3B and have solid 5-cats; same with Holliday except you get an OF out of the way, so on and so forth. There are several players who are reasonable #2 picks, based on the direction you want to take your team, and what you believe as far as injuries, risk, and reward are concerned.

Strategies usually fall flat unless they're pretty general or you have Plan A, B, and C for each round, and this thread isn't about a whole draft strategy anyway, it's about trying to pick one definite #2 draft pick when there isn't one. I don't really go for strategies, the tendencies that I've developed over the years are far more powerful than any strategy could be. If there is any strategy, the draft will determine it and any one that I try to develop will get ruined over and over by the time I pick again after having the #2 pick. If I took Howard first and could get Ortiz on the swing at a bargain, I'll take him over someone I could use more to get balance like Ichiro. It's arbitrary to try and differentiate a bunch of elite options that could go anywhere from 2nd to 8th, there is no clear cut choice after ARod and as of now, there isn't much difference in any spot in that range, everyone seems basically the same and any of them can be argued at #2.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:03 am

Yoda wrote:Wright at #2 would be just fine. I'll still take Pujols until his arm falls off.

glad i'm not the only one
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers