Why not D.Wright #2? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why not D.Wright #2?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why not D.Wright #2?

Postby cannonarm21 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:25 pm

I have yet to see a mock draft where Wright goes #2. Why not? A young 3B on a good team coming off a 30/30 season, hitting .325. If I drafted #2 (which I don't) that is who I would take.
cannonarm21
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Why not D.Wright #2?

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:35 pm

viewtopic.php?t=319663

with pujols's stock dropping, i think its 50/50 between wright and hanley. i think 3b is extremely weak, considering the top 6 guys go in the top 4 rounds, and then its essentially a guessing game after that.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby abrage22 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:41 pm

he's prabably who i would take 2nd! he's a great 5x5 hitter, and is a way safer pick than alot of other 1st rounders
-Pujols, his shoulder worrys me (i think its his shoulder :-L)
-HanRAM- also injurie concerns and in a bad lineup, which to me doesn't seem like it would make a huge difference but it seems to other people it does :P.
-Reyes, i don't want to waste a 1st round pick on someone who will just get me a bunch of steals and mediocre stats with the other cats.
- everyone else just doesn't seem worthy of the 2nd pick
abrage22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:45 pm

abrage22 wrote:he's prabably who i would take 2nd! he's a great 5x5 hitter, and is a way safer pick than alot of other 1st rounders
-HanRAM- also injurie concerns and in a bad lineup, which to me doesn't seem like it would make a huge difference but it seems to other people it does :P.

the thinking is that the other players surrounding him either

a) wont be on base alot, thus lowering his rbi production
b) wont be good enough to hit him in as often as m-cab, thus lowering his run production

and

c) wont scare pitchers enough to pitch to him

i dont think their lineup is as bad as many others, but thats the thinking behind it.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Ender » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:12 am

I think the lineup upgrades itself enough with other younger players that the loss of Cabrera isn't going to be a huge difference, it will be a difference but not some huge game breaking difference. However I don't like the shoulder problems at all.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:25 am

Wright at #2 would be just fine. I'll still take Pujols until his arm falls off.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:20 am

Snakes Gould wrote:viewtopic.php?t=319663

with pujols's stock dropping, i think its 50/50 between wright and hanley. i think 3b is extremely weak, considering the top 6 guys go in the top 4 rounds, and then its essentially a guessing game after that.

Yeah, as Snakes' link shows here, I picked him with my second pick. Only regret is that I didn't have 3rd position in the draft or so, because I think most people will take Hanley instead so might as well jump a spot.

That said, 30/30 or 35/35 with a .320 average is absolutely 2nd pick material. Put him in your 3B spot and forget it! I was able to go Wright / Berkman / Phillips (dynasty). Would prefer something like Wright / Lee / Berkman or Wright / Teix / Berkman, but ah well.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby bobbing_headz » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:58 am

I also agree that he definitely warrants consideration at #2. Like Snakes mentioned 3b is a really shallow position this year (seemingly) with the top 5 or 6 guys going in the first two rounds and a huge drop off from there. Although, with MCab moving to Detroit I see definite potential that he has a better season than Wright with the Tigers having one of the most stacked lineups I've ever seen.
bobbing_headz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Az480Trojan » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:28 pm

I have Wright at #2 on my board. That's why I'm hoping I can get maybe the 4th pick, see if can grab him there.
Az480Trojan
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby AEMRICH » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:04 pm

after reading some arguments i would have no problem taking Wright at #2. I think a lot of people are going to jump all over HanRam after his year last year, but i think that losing M-Cab is going to kill some of his numbers. Without many other solid bats around him i wouldn't be surprised if he hits 3rd or 4th meaning an increase in RBI's but a decrease in SB's and R's. I do think that Reyes has a better year than last year but i would rather have Rollins who will be had towards the end of the 1st. Wright at 2 makes sense
College Tuition: $12,000
Room & Board: $5,600
Books: $500
Food Plan: $2000
Not going to college and living with your parents: Priceless
AEMRICH
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 13)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers