Why a salary cap??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why a salary cap???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why a salary cap???

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:21 pm

Explain to me why a salary cap is the right thing to do.

Where else are employees told that there is a MAXIMUM that they can make?

These are not unskilled labourers where you can find anyone to do the job and any Tom Dick or Harry will do. These are highly skilled athletes, the best in the world. Their talents bring in billions of dollars in revenue. Why should they agree to artificially limit what they can earn.

Are owners agreeing to a maximum revenue and donating all surplus to charity?

The only reason that MLB can do this is that they have cornered the market and created a monopoly.

There is no limit on how much money other artists - take for instance EMINEM - can make. His salary is strictly a function of how much revenue he generates. If Sony music tried to impose a maximum on him he would simply go to Arista or any other competing label. The problem in baseball is that there is no competing label.

I see no reason for players to agree to a salary cap or why fans should be in favour of one.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Brendo » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:31 pm

not to disagree mookie (although i love to do it), but baseball franchises aren't like any other business....

they are like a franchised McDonald's....all run under the MLB office,

so if the McDonald's corporation says to sell cheeseburgers for $5 a pop, you have to do it, or you'll lose your franchise

baseball will want the cap to protect itself....from itself

not that they'll ever be able to get it throught he union....and the new system they have with the luxury tax is a great improvemnt, I mean the Yankees paid the Marlins to beat them last year.....adding ARod doesn't guarantee a title by any stretch......

and one other thing, I'd love to see a minimum salary for a team....since the Yankees will be paying out millions and millions, it would be great to see other teams actually spend it
YAHOO! RULES!!!!!
Brendo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jbird669 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:43 pm

As a fan of a team other than the Yankees, I watch my team and others suffer cuz they don't have the $ to spend on players like they do. It sickens me to see that each year I can count on the yankees, Red Sox, A's Mariners, Twins, Giants, and Braves as probable postseason teams and that (except for last 2 yrs) the Yankees at least making the LCS. Look at what it did for football: it is now America's Pasttime, and evey year a new team can win it all. Everyone has a shot going in. The Brewers and Devil Rays are eliminated from playoff contention, and players have yet to report! That's not the way the league should be run.
If baseball had a cap, A-Rod could still get his deal, but the team would be remarakbly thin elsewhere. It makes everyone competitive for the most part, and makes baseball exciting. It will also ensure that MLB will be around in 20 years, which, at the rate it's going, is not guaranteed. There's a great chance the NHL will be gone in 7 months, I'd hate to see MLB gone too.
Brendo, I like the idea of a minimum. Maybe that is needed as much as a cap. If they had it in football, perhaps the Cardinals would actually win!
Last edited by jbird669 on Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. ~Jim Murray
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby eftda » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:56 pm

no way a union will agree to a cap :-t :-P
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby swingaway » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:58 pm

jbird669 wrote:As a fan of a team other than the Yankees, I watch my team and others suffer cuz they don't have the $ to spend on players like they do. It sickens me to see that each year I can count on the yankees, Red Sox, A's Mariners, Twins, Giants, and Braves as probable postseason teams and that (except for last 2 yrs) and the Yankees at least making the LCS. Look at what it did for football: it is now America's Pasttime, and evey year a new team can win it all. Everyone has a shot going in. The Brewers and Devil Rays are eliminated from playoff contention, and players have yet to report! That's not the way the league should be run.
If baseball had a cap, A-Rod could still get his deal, but the team would be remarakbly thin elsewhere. It makes everyone competitive for the most part, and makes baseball exciting. It will also ensure that MLB will be around in 20 years, which, at the rate it's going, is not guaranteed. There's a great chance the NHL will be gone in 7 months, I'd hate to see MLB gone too.
Brendo, I like the idea of a minimum. Maybe that is needed as much as a cap. If they had it in football, perhaps the Cardinals would actually win!

agreeded but most people diagree though on this site. Thats what makes football excting for all team si that all the teams have a shot and not just several teams rule the league year after year like in baseball.
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby jbird669 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:10 pm

Unfortunately it shows that the players are selfish and greedy. Most players get performance bonuses in football, and some of that money they get comes from the revenue the league splits.
Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. ~Jim Murray
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Return to Baseball Leftovers