best young pitchers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

best young pitchers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: best young pitchers

Postby bobbing_headz » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:39 pm

Yoda wrote:
Liriano over Lincecum and Gallardo? LOL Maybe when he pitches a full season without his arm falling off. His mechanics were horrible and he threw way too many sliders. He can change both of those things but you are looking at a completely different pitcher if he does.

You knock down Kazmir because of his team but not Cain? SF is arguably worse on paper going into 08 and beyond.

Jered Weaver over Hughes, Bills, Joba? The guy with far inferior stuff and injury concerns?

Felix is tier 1. He has the highest ceiling of all pitchers under 25.

I stand by my Liriano ranking. He's definitely risky but healthy I still think he's better than Lincecum or Gallardo. You're probably right about Kazmir/Cain but Cain is the the better pitcher of the two and Cain's better ERA/Whip will make up for the wins. Hughes and Joba like I said are too much of a risk to be shut down to be ranked higher, Joba especially (who may even start in the bullpen). Weaver is clearly not as talented but will pitch probably double the innings and get far more wins, Ks and have comparable ratios. Hughes wasn't great last year (his era sucked) and I think there's no way he suddenly becomes a star this year. Joba more likely but he won't pitch enough to be worth having. Oh and I agree about Felix (I like him this year) but I had him down a bit because of his moderate risk.
bobbing_headz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:56 pm

bobbing_headz wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Liriano over Lincecum and Gallardo? LOL Maybe when he pitches a full season without his arm falling off. His mechanics were horrible and he threw way too many sliders. He can change both of those things but you are looking at a completely different pitcher if he does.

You knock down Kazmir because of his team but not Cain? SF is arguably worse on paper going into 08 and beyond.

Jered Weaver over Hughes, Bills, Joba? The guy with far inferior stuff and injury concerns?

Felix is tier 1. He has the highest ceiling of all pitchers under 25.

I stand by my Liriano ranking. He's definitely risky but healthy I still think he's better than Lincecum or Gallardo. You're probably right about Kazmir/Cain but Cain is the the better pitcher of the two and Cain's better ERA/Whip will make up for the wins. Hughes and Joba like I said are too much of a risk to be shut down to be ranked higher, Joba especially (who may even start in the bullpen). Weaver is clearly not as talented but will pitch probably double the innings and get far more wins, Ks and have comparable ratios. Hughes wasn't great last year (his era sucked) and I think there's no way he suddenly becomes a star this year. Joba more likely but he won't pitch enough to be worth having. Oh and I agree about Felix (I like him this year) but I had him down a bit because of his moderate risk.

You might want to rethink Liriano. Even if he is healthy, the odds are against you if you really believe he will be his former self.

Cain is better than Kazmir? Based on what?

Hughes wasn't great because he pulled his hamstring. You are basing his future performance based on his ERA and a sample size of 72.2 IP?

Brilliant. :-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bsblallstr » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:58 pm

Verlander is in a tier of his own right now, i think he is the only tier 1 guy up there, he knows how to pitch, he is the most consistent which is why he has been such a winner, he is now on a great team, he has improved from his rookie of the year season, he has no injury history like hamels and he doesnt have a problem with his pitch counts like kazmir, i would say taht verlander is just behind Peavy and Santana overall, just ahead of webb cause he k's more guys, but he is definitely the best young pitcher out there
Reyes and guerrero, the two most blessed players in the league, not to mention the most fun to watch
bsblallstr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers