BUDGETING: For those of you who play with salaries - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

BUDGETING: For those of you who play with salaries

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

BUDGETING: For those of you who play with salaries

Postby jbird669 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:06 pm

What's your hitting/pitching split and what is your cap? I have a $290, and am thinking of going for a 195/95 split, or a 200/90 split.
Thoughts?
Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. ~Jim Murray
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby justinA » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:09 pm

i play $300 cap 25 actives, 15 hitters, 10 pitchers and I'm looking to get around a 205/85 split or something around that. But if I get away from that at the auction, it wont owrry me too much cuz it could just mean I got some top-notch players for less than expected.
The Oreos!
justinA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: BUDGETING: For those of you who play with salaries

Postby swarmee » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:10 pm

jbird669 wrote:What's your hitting/pitching split and what is your cap? I have a $290, and am thinking of going for a 195/95 split, or a 200/90 split. Thoughts?

Well, I do $260 leagues, and if the league's been around a while, I try to see what percent the league averages. If it's 60% hitting, I'll value the hitting higher and take advantage of the lower priced batting studs. If it's 75% hitting, I'll value the pitching higher and take advantage. Basically, if the league operates on one side of the 65% mark, set your values in the other direction. It will help you identify bargains.
But in a brand new league, it's hard to complain about just sticking to a 65% hitting/pitching split unless you're trying LIMA or a reliever-only plan.
Another Year, Another Championship. I'm 2 for 2.
swarmee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby jbird669 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:46 pm

swarmee, let me ask you this: how much does that change in a snake draft with set values (USA TODAY BASEBALL WEEKLY salaries)?
Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. ~Jim Murray
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby swarmee » Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:09 pm

jbird669 wrote:swarmee, let me ask you this: how much does that change in a snake draft with set values (USA TODAY BASEBALL WEEKLY salaries)?

I've never played one of those leagues, and it's harder to find bargains in them, since they've already got projected values tied to their names. The only things that seem to matter in those kind of leagues is how good a person is at finding $1 picks that blossom and who's closers stay closing and which stars don't get injured. Much less strategy involved, IMO.
I'd probably stick to 65% in a league like that, since that's how the baseball weekly guys usually define their numbers.
Another Year, Another Championship. I'm 2 for 2.
swarmee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Return to Baseball Leftovers