Keeper League Strategy: Win or Cellar - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Keeper League Strategy: Win or Cellar

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper League Strategy: Win or Cellar

Postby in10s » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:33 pm

Because of the rules in my league, I'm considering changing to a boom or bust strategy. One year, go for the championship, the next year aim for last place.

This is an NL only, 5x5, 15 keepers, auction with a $260 cap and then $375 cap the rest of the season, a 3 round rookie draft. There are contracts which are fixed for two years then salary increases. There is no FAAB budget, the last place team gets first shot at Free Agents.

The rules encourage trades between top teams and bottom teams playing for next year. I'm entering 2008 after a run at the title last year and few value keepers. I'm thinking of punting on 2008 before the season even starts and planning for 2009.

Any thoughts on this idea?
in10s
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper League Strategy: Win or Cellar

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:01 pm

in10s wrote:Because of the rules in my league, I'm considering changing to a boom or bust strategy. One year, go for the championship, the next year aim for last place.

This is an NL only, 5x5, 15 keepers, auction with a $260 cap and then $375 cap the rest of the season, a 3 round rookie draft. There are contracts which are fixed for two years then salary increases. There is no FAAB budget, the last place team gets first shot at Free Agents.

The rules encourage trades between top teams and bottom teams playing for next year. I'm entering 2008 after a run at the title last year and few value keepers. I'm thinking of punting on 2008 before the season even starts and planning for 2009.

Any thoughts on this idea?

I couldn't stand to come in last, but to each his own i guess
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CadensDad » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:19 pm

Why not play to win each year? You can't count on your rookies being ready/able to produce next year

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby duckbillgates » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:33 pm

With 15 keepers in an NL-only league, I'm not sure I understand how you plan to go about this. Drafting minor leaguers not expected to play until 2009?

I don't see how this will work, even in a deep league like that. It's really unlikely that you can actually take a team from last to first. It takes time to build a team. And after you win the 2009 title you go back to punting 2010?

I personally am opposed to purposely tanking for draft picks. The reason most leagues draft in the reverse order of finish is to create a little parity in leagues. Don't turn your fantasy baseball league into the NBA!
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Andy1234 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:55 pm

Better hope your league doesn't figure it out and go to a draft lottery
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Field » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:05 pm

I play fantasy baseball to win whatever the odds, what's the fun in losing every other year? Anything can happen, so I wouldn't go into a season with that mindset. It's nice to build for the future, but I'm going to try to win by league every year and I'll worry about next year next year.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby in10s » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:25 am

duckbillgates wrote:I don't see how this will work, even in a deep league like that. It's really unlikely that you can actually take a team from last to first. It takes time to build a team. And after you win the 2009 title you go back to punting 2010?

I understand all the posts where people said it would be no fun to punt on purpose every other year, I kind of expected that. But with some limited data points, it does seem to have a chance to work. The league has been around for 15+ years, I've been in it only the last few. Entering the 2006 season, my inexperience resulted in a terrible job at the draft. By the end of May I decided to rebuild. In 2007 I was just short of winning it all.

Remember, this is an auction, so you have extreme flexibility. If I wantted to really run this strategy, in a down year I would put a large chunk of my auction dollars into studs. On a $260 budget, spend $150 on 5 or 6 studs, leaving the rest of my roster thin. Then go for extreme value players, including a bunch in the $1-$5 range. During the season, you trade the studs to contenders for their best value players.

As the next year rolls around, you can have a very strong set of keepers from your $1-$5 players you drafted, plus the upside guys you traded for. Now you are in a strong position to compete the next year.

I can't argue with those who say this wouldn't be any fun, but I do think it has a chance of working.
in10s
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:31 am

I try and win every single year, no questions asked -- this is pre-season. If, during the season, it becomes apparent that I am not a true contender, then I start looking at next season. The idea of deciding in the winter that you aren't going to try and win just seems silly to me, though. There's far too many things that can happen, and if you're a strong owner you should be able to put yourself in a position to compete every season.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 388)

Postby Ender » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:37 am

I think of this like I think of ditching a stat in roto. Your plan should never be to lose and that is what ditching a stat is, you are planning on losing in 1/10th of the stats in the game. You should attempt to win every single season and if sometime in the season it becomes apparent you have no chance then you bite the bullet and use the strategy.

Baseball is a very luck oriented game, especially from a pitching standpoint. It is going to take luck as well as skill to win and the more chances you give yourself to be tops in the league the better.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Return to Baseball Leftovers