Don't Be That Fan... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Don't Be That Fan...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Don't Be That Fan...

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:26 pm

As we head toward ESPN’s crowning glory (it’s like Yankees-Red Sox—in the Super Bowl!), those of us in flyover land can do nothing but cringe and hope the New York and New England fans step way out of character and keep relatively quiet. Good luck with that. In case that minor miracle doesn’t happen—and since knowing your enemy is the first step to conquering your enemy—here is a guide to the worst kinds of sports fans to help you through this winter weekend of Chicago’s discontent.

Hyper-analytical head case

Traits: These fans watch live sports only as it relates to their fantasy teams. They aren’t interested in non-fantasy sports teams because they can’t control the rosters. They define a “good season” as “putting up good fantasy numbers.” If they’re baseball fans, it’s likely they’re huge fans of Bill James’ Sabermetrics and have called stats such as batting average “antiquated.”

Example: If you hear cheering at the bar at random—and sometimes inappropriate—times, it’s a fantasy team cheer.

Upturned nose

Traits: They think—no, they know—that they and their cronies are “better” fans than you. Any victory their team garners and any loss their team sustains is that much more meaningful to them because they understand the game on such a deeper level than you can.

Example: Yankees fans and ESPN’s Bill Simmons.

FULL STORY
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Don't Be That Fan...

Postby talldarkandnerdy » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:07 pm

I would have liked to see the Hypocritical Fan on there: the fan who criticizes a team for things their team does as well. Example: Red Sox fans saying the Yankees have to spend tons of money to win.
talldarkandnerdy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Matthias » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:39 pm

There's also the Patty Hearst Fan:
These fans have suffered for so long that they now identify with their captors and make their plight their own. You can see them in much of the Midwest, defending the decisions of the ownership groups, in which they have no stake, to not spend money to improve their team for yet another season.

And the Little Brother Fan:
These fans get into your face and under your skin, carping on and on about the success that their franchise is currently experiencing. The minute their team starts having the slightest fits and starts and won't back up their incessant prattle, however, these fans melt into the woodwork, unable to be found.

And the Old and Deluded Fan:
These are the fans for whom the Good Old Days were always ten years ago. Held aloof from today's game, these fans sing the praises of the paragons of virtue and humility who used to grace the field and the court; whose every other thought was towards their civic duty and never, ever, ever, about how much they were going to be paid.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:54 pm

Heart on the sleeve

Traits: These are the most common annoying fans. At least 60 percent of their casual wardrobe is devoted to one team. They are as emotionally involved in off-season transactions as they are in games. <---Yep ;-D Will brag about championships far longer than the five-year window of enjoyment.

That's me apart from the 60 percent of wardrobe. 60 percent of my wardrobe is sports clothing, but not all one sport.
And I still have quite a bit of Dodgers stuff :-P :-P :-t .
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Ender » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:38 am

90% of my clothing says packers, badgers or brewers on it.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby thedude » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:10 am

I am pretty sure i don't fall into the up-turned nose fan category. I get really mad at the morons who chant "yankees suck" at Celtics games.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Old_Style » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:21 am

Heart on the sleeve

Traits: These are the most common annoying fans. At least 60 percent of their casual wardrobe is devoted to one team. They are as emotionally involved in off-season transactions as they are in games. Will brag about championships far longer than the five-year window of enjoyment.

Example: Bears fans who still cling to Super Bowl XX—leven if they were toddlers then.

Although I was born a month after Super Bowl XX, I can rattle off most, if not all, of the active players on the team.
I know, it's sad.... :-/ :-D
Foam "finger"

Traits: The finger these fans hold up is not the pointer. They devote as much, if not more energy to pointing out the inferiority of their rivals than touting their own team.

Example: Again, too easy. White Sox fans.

The only time I'm like this is when the Red Wings are in town. :-D
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jlm53089 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:36 pm

I have a Rays shirt for everyday of the week. at least. ;-D
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby great gretzky » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:28 am

jlm53089 wrote:I have a Rays shirt for everyday of the week. at least. ;-D

why?
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Old_Style » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:53 am

great gretzky wrote:
jlm53089 wrote:I have a Rays shirt for everyday of the week. at least. ;-D

why?

There must've been a sale.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers