Why Baseball IS NOT Capitalist - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why Baseball IS NOT Capitalist

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:04 pm

KULCAT wrote:On the other hand i think the NBC model with salary cap for player contracts according to seniority could work well for the MLB. It would be more about the way you handle your money than how much youn have. Say Team A has a player thats to make the max aloud(15 mill just for the sake of it). Then the General manager clears up 15 mill from salary from his team so he cn sign that player. But whats the point of doing this if out of nowhere Team B offers up 20.
I also think if you have league max you should also have a league min.

A contract limit? Say no player can make above $15.
Player A is a stud. He's 27, no injury history, a great teammate, incredible player, etc... He earns the maximum. Nicely done.

Player B is better. Pure and Simple. Better offense, defense, age, health, even tells better jokes in the locker room. In fact, there isnt anything player A does better. Yet player B makes the same amount? Thats not too fair for the team that is paying player A, nor is it fair to player B.

Let the players earn what going market rates are. Anything other than that will pit one $15 player against a better $15 player, thus making the system unrealistic. If my $15 is worth $15, but your $15 is worth $30, do you want to trade me?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby KULCAT » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:33 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
KULCAT wrote:On the other hand i think the NBC model with salary cap for player contracts according to seniority could work well for the MLB. It would be more about the way you handle your money than how much youn have. Say Team A has a player thats to make the max aloud(15 mill just for the sake of it). Then the General manager clears up 15 mill from salary from his team so he cn sign that player. But whats the point of doing this if out of nowhere Team B offers up 20.
I also think if you have league max you should also have a league min.

A contract limit? Say no player can make above $15.
Player A is a stud. He's 27, no injury history, a great teammate, incredible player, etc... He earns the maximum. Nicely done.

Player B is better. Pure and Simple. Better offense, defense, age, health, even tells better jokes in the locker room. In fact, there isnt anything player A does better. Yet player B makes the same amount? Thats not too fair for the team that is paying player A, nor is it fair to player B.

If player A is better than player B why would player B get the same money?
Why would the team owning player A dont just let become a free agent and go after someone who´s worth the max. As i said its a maximum you dont HAVE to pay them that is just if you really want a guy to stay you have a shot as long as you get X amount of money for that player and not worry about someone out bidding you.
Let the players earn what going market rates are.

I dont think that works is much richer teams stablish that market. If If the best pitcher in baseball get 15 million from the previous 10 million then it means an average pitcher who earns 3 million is anow a 6 million dollar a year player. This is the case of Kevin Brown a couple of years ago that made guys like Kevin Appier a 10 mill dollar man and Darren Oliver a 6 mill dollar player.
With a cap they still make lot of money its just the market would keep going up and small market teams would have no excuse for not competing.
And maybe this figures could be altered with the changing economies. I just think it would be better than what we have today.
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers