Remembering a dumb trade - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Remembering a dumb trade

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Remembering a dumb trade

Postby thedude » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:58 pm

Off the top of my head...

Frank Robinson for Milt Pappas, Jack Baldschun, and Dick Simpson.

Pedro Martinez was actually part of two lopsided deals. He was also traded for Tony Armas and Carl Pavano.

Lou Collier for Jason Bay.

AJ Pierzynski for Joe Nathan, Francisco Liriano, and Boof Bonser.

Victor Zambrano for Scott Kazmir.

The list goes on and on.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Another Blown Save » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:30 pm

Randy Johnson, Gene Harris and Brian Holeman for Mark Langston and Mike Campbell
Curt Schilling's been involved in many bad trades
John Smoltz for Doyle Alexander was pretty bad too.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:04 pm

Wow the Astros suck at rule 5 drafts

They lost Abreu to the Rays (we then made our worst trade in sending him for stocker :-{ ) and they lost Santana

%-6
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Half Massed » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:11 pm

thedude wrote:Pedro Martinez was actually part of two lopsided deals. He was also traded for Tony Armas and Carl Pavano.

The Expos were in a similar situation to the Twins this year, in that Pedro was going to be a free agent and there was no way they could keep him. At least the Expos got two prospects who made it to the majors and were mediocre. Definitely not a good trade, but it could have been worse.

AJ Pierzynski for Joe Nathan, Francisco Liriano, and Boof Bonser.

That was one terrible trade. :-P
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby BalataGrande » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:30 pm

Delino DeShields..........ahhhhhhh, a blast from the past...LOL I have to agree that the Pierzynski trade was the worst, although as a METS fan I always cringe when I hear the name Victor Zambrano....ugh! Welcome JOHAN!!!
BalataGrande
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kab21 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:37 pm

It's strange how someone can criticize some of these trades based only on hindsight.

The Twins were slammed in the press for trading AJ at the time. They got a young long reliever, a struggling former top 100 prospect (BOOF!) and Liriano had thrown a total of 8 innings the previous season due to injuries. Of course it looks great for the Twins now in hindsight.

In addition how can you criticize the Marlins for Johan Santana. That was prearranged before the rule 5 draft the same as the Cubs (I think it was them) selecting Josh Hamilton this year and trading him to the Reds. Santana at the time was an A ball pitcher with 4.5-5 ERA and it probably surprised the Astros that anyone would use a roster spot for him for a year. And Santana absolutely sucked that season compiling a 6.49 ERA.

Now there are some trades that are just terrible from the beginning.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:15 pm

kab21 wrote:It's strange how someone can criticize some of these trades based only on hindsight.

The Twins were slammed in the press for trading AJ at the time. They got a young long reliever, a struggling former top 100 prospect (BOOF!) and Liriano had thrown a total of 8 innings the previous season due to injuries. Of course it looks great for the Twins now in hindsight.

In addition how can you criticize the Marlins for Johan Santana. That was prearranged before the rule 5 draft the same as the Cubs (I think it was them) selecting Josh Hamilton this year and trading him to the Reds. Santana at the time was an A ball pitcher with 4.5-5 ERA and it probably surprised the Astros that anyone would use a roster spot for him for a year. And Santana absolutely sucked that season compiling a 6.49 ERA.

Very much agreed.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Grouperman941 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:18 pm

kab21 wrote:The Twins were slammed in the press for trading AJ at the time. They got a young long reliever, a struggling former top 100 prospect (BOOF!) and Liriano had thrown a total of 8 innings the previous season due to injuries. Of course it looks great for the Twins now in hindsight.

The Cafe had some mixed reactions: viewtopic.php?t=25177&hilit=Nathan&start=50

Most posters thought it was a good move by the Giants.
I remember a post about how great Liriano would be at the time but it did not turn up. I don't remember who made it.

Lurking here that winter convinced me to join the cafe. ;-D
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Yoda » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:34 pm

George Bell for Sammy Sosa
Ludwick, Mathews and Stein for McGwire
Larry Andersen for Jeff Bagwell
Doyle Alexander for Smoltz
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby MasterX1918 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:07 pm

kab21 wrote:It's strange how someone can criticize some of these trades based only on hindsight.

then again the Twins had Joe Mauer, a highly tauted catching prospect waiting in the wing. The Twins would of ended up trading Pierzynski for bottle caps if the Giants didn't give them the offer that they did.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers