Carl Crawford: 6th rounder? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Carl Crawford: 6th rounder?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Carl Crawford: 6th rounder?

Postby Edwin » Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:23 pm

I have been looking at the ESPN draft monitor and it seems Carl Crawford has been going in the 6th round almost every time. Is it just me, or is that a little early for him? I know he has tremendous upside this year, but I just don't see myself taking him that early this year. Thoughts?
Edwin
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Jer19G » Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:27 pm

To me 6th round is good for Crawford. He is improving offensively and should get 60+sbs this year.
Demon Days
Jer19G
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GSes » Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:30 pm

I would take Crawford in the 6th RD. I really believe in having Pierre or Crawford they can dominate the SB category for you and then you can go for all power guys everywhere else.
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Edwin » Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:36 pm

I suppose he is a decent choice then considering SBs are so few and far between yet so important in 12 team, 5x5 and 6x6 type scoring leagues. I'll have to consider him once that need has to be addressed....
Edwin
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby JoeCredeForPresident » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:23 pm

am i the only one who thinks 6th round is crazy?

the fact that he plays for the rays is more then enough to turn me off, there are much better options around the 6th round anyways.
JoeCredeForPresident
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby GSes » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:32 pm

This past week we had a lot of threads about this and if you don't have Pierre or Crawford or Pods (but he may fall of the planet) then you need a mix of Renteria, Beltran, and Abreu in order to compete in SB category. If you have all power then you are screwd b/c you have to finish in the top 3 of every category to have shot st 1st. If you have all power then you are stuck trying to get it off waivers.

In Crawford's defense

1. He is only 22 years old so he WILL get better.

2. He has more pop then Pierre so he can probably hit 10 HR's this season and possibly a few more as he gets older.

3. He hit 297 aftter the All star break last season. He stold 33 bags after the break last year also.

4. There is no reason why he won't keep running and will snag more then 55 bags which was his total lasts eason.

5. I read somehwere he is in even better shape then ever and is even faster this season.

So while Juane Pierre will go before Crawford and I have seen Pierre go in the third round 8-o ..... Crawford has potential to be much better then Pierre with as many if not more steals.

The fact that he plays for the DRays shouldn't really matter. He has Huff and Baldelli hitting behind him. And I believe Huff is going to hit 40 HR's this season which means more runs for Crawford.

I can easily see Carl going for
300 avg
95 Runs
8 HR
65 RBI
65 SB

So are you sure you wouldn't Carl on your team. This little guy can single handly get you a top finish in the SB category.
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Edwin » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:39 pm

It's not so much that I don't want him on my team; I really want him actually... I just don't know if he's proven enough that we should take him as early as the 6th round. I mean, around that time there is still a significant amount of talent that may be safer picks.

I guess I'll have to see how it pans out on draft day, and let's hope he stays healthy.
Edwin
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby kentx12 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:03 pm

In a roto league I can see him going that high but in a H2H league I feel he will go a few rounds later.

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Return to Baseball Leftovers