Which NY Team Made the Better Signing - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Which NY Team Made the Better Signing

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which NY Team Made the Better Long-Term Signing???

Yanks Sign A-Rod
35%
Mets Sign Santana
65%

Total votes : 48

Re: Which NY Team Made the Better Signing

Postby Matthias » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:25 am

HOOTIE wrote:
Matthias wrote:But last year was a bad year in the Bronx: I'd bet even if you took out A-Rod and put in league-average 3B, the Yankees would still project out to make the postseason.

Not really. NYY won wildcard by 8 games. Arod had 39 win shares (worth 13 wins), versus the 16th best 3b in win shares, Glaus with 14, (worth 4.67 wins). Arod was probably around 8-9 wins over the average 3b last year.

I mean in the year to come.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Which NY Team Made the Better Signing

Postby Grounded Polo » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:30 am

Generals94 wrote:I agree the Mets did not hurt themselves, but the Yankees would have created several major holes if they signed Santana. I was trying to break down why signning Santana would have been problematic for the Yanks. I also agree that the Mets did a great job in acquiring him by giving up players that are ???? at best. However, I am just not sure I would have guaranteed that kind of $$$$ to a pitcher for that many years with that much wear/tear. In the end, it was a no brainer for the Yankees going after A-Rod. It would have cost them more $$$ trying to fill the holes at 3B, CF & SP if they signed Santana and let A-Rod go. Plus, average fans pay/show to watch HRs being hit, not lights out pitching performances.

I don't think deciding between either guy would be required on the Yankees payroll. If Santana were a free agent this year, I find it hard to believe that the Yankees would not have either given him the same deal or more to get him plus giving ARod his contract. It'll be interesting to see how they try to entice Sabathia when he's a free agent, a lesser elite starter that has weight concerns.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers