Which NY Team Made the Better Signing - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Which NY Team Made the Better Signing

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which NY Team Made the Better Long-Term Signing???

Yanks Sign A-Rod
35%
Mets Sign Santana
65%

Total votes : 48

Re: Which NY Team Made the Better Signing

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:43 pm

For those citing that the Yankees didn't get any better with their A-Rod signing, you must consider the implications had they not signed him. Assessment must be roster w/ signing vs. w/o. You cannot, however, use the argument that the signing "didn't make them any better" against the Yankees.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:52 pm

bigh0rt wrote:For those citing that the Yankees didn't get any better with their A-Rod signing, you must consider the implications had they not signed him. Assessment must be roster w/ signing vs. w/o. You cannot, however, use the argument that the signing "didn't make them any better" against the Yankees.

That is a very good point. Both the Yankees and Red Sox considered letting their free agent third basemen walk, but when confronted with the dearth of options available at the conner infield positions both teams quickly resigned their guy. A-rod was the primary reason for Yankees evening making the playoffs last year, losing him would mean quite a regression.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:13 pm

Matthias wrote:With Santana, the Mets move to favorites in the NL East.

Without A-Rod, the Yankees still have a high-scoring offense and have almost the same chance of making the postseason.

Santana is the better signing.

Besides, he, at least, has never put those gay highlights in his hair.

I have to digress from the serious debate here to laugh out loud at this one! :-D
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Tarquin » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:23 pm

I mentioned this in the other thread also. Basically, in Santana's case, you have to consider the inflation of pitchers contracts over the past few years. Carlos Silva and Gil meche got $12 million per year deals. They are at best 2nd or 3rd starters with 3.5-4.0 ERA best case scenario.

If santana produces at his current level for 3-4 more years, then drops down to the average, he will still be worth the money because by 2012 and 2013 pitchers like Gil Meche will probably be making $15-20 million per year also. I doubt Santana will go from a dominant pitcher with 2.5 ERA to a worthless pitcher with 4.5 ERA in 7 years, its more likely he will gain maybe 1 run onto his ERA by the end of his contract period.

Injury is the only concern but santana has never been on the DL and looks like he is extremely durable.

A-Rod's contract is also worth is for the Yankee's I think, because they will make alot of money when Arod chases Bonds HR record. His production will probably dip significantly by the end of his contract, but he will still be useful from a business standpoint.
Tarquin
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby KCollins1304 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:06 pm

Tarquin wrote:I mentioned this in the other thread also. Basically, in Santana's case, you have to consider the inflation of pitchers contracts over the past few years. Carlos Silva and Gil meche got $12 million per year deals. They are at best 2nd or 3rd starters with 3.5-4.0 ERA best case scenario.

If santana produces at his current level for 3-4 more years, then drops down to the average, he will still be worth the money because by 2012 and 2013 pitchers like Gil Meche will probably be making $15-20 million per year also. I doubt Santana will go from a dominant pitcher with 2.5 ERA to a worthless pitcher with 4.5 ERA in 7 years, its more likely he will gain maybe 1 run onto his ERA by the end of his contract period.

Injury is the only concern but santana has never been on the DL and looks like he is extremely durable.

A-Rod's contract is also worth is for the Yankee's I think, because they will make alot of money when Arod chases Bonds HR record. His production will probably dip significantly by the end of his contract, but he will still be useful from a business standpoint.

Inflation isn't just for pitchers, offensive players are increasing just the same. By the end of A-Rod's contract the money he is earning will be just above the average FA 3rd baseman. Santana being a pitcher has a lot more chance of injury and significant decline by the end of his contract.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mweir145 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:07 pm

It's ARod by far, especially when you consider all they had to give up to get him was money (something that isn't a problem for them). I really think he was the difference between them being a playoff team or not last year.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Tavish » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:34 pm

Inflation isn't going to bring either of these contracts to be on par with the mid-range pitchers/3B in 7-10 years. These will still be high end deals similar to what Jeter, Manny, and A-Rod signed 7-8 years ago.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby Matthias » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:34 pm

mweir145 wrote:It's ARod by far, especially when you consider all they had to give up to get him was money (something that isn't a problem for them). I really think he was the difference between them being a playoff team or not last year.

He was, no question about it.

But last year was a bad year in the Bronx: I'd bet even if you took out A-Rod and put in league-average 3B, the Yankees would still project out to make the postseason. And that's why I think Santana was the more important, if not better, signing: the Mets significantly increase their odds of making the post-season by signing him.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby sblinyy » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:47 pm

Matthias wrote:
mweir145 wrote:It's ARod by far, especially when you consider all they had to give up to get him was money (something that isn't a problem for them). I really think he was the difference between them being a playoff team or not last year.

He was, no question about it.

But last year was a bad year in the Bronx: I'd bet even if you took out A-Rod and put in league-average 3B, the Yankees would still project out to make the postseason. And that's why I think Santana was the more important, if not better, signing: the Mets significantly increase their odds of making the post-season by signing him.

Okay, I'm surprised more people don't respect what a-rod did last year for the yankees. He sucked balls in the playoffs as usual, but in my mind I dont think the yankees would have been in the playoffs last year without him. Bottom line, Arod carried the yankees into the playoffs, so he is the most important part the team and you have to resign him.

Thanks to abrage22 for the sweet sig!
sblinyy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:13 pm

Matthias wrote:But last year was a bad year in the Bronx: I'd bet even if you took out A-Rod and put in league-average 3B, the Yankees would still project out to make the postseason.

Not really. NYY won wildcard by 8 games. Arod had 39 win shares (worth 13 wins), versus the 16th best 3b in win shares, Glaus with 14, (worth 4.67 wins). Arod was probably around 8-9 wins over the average 3b last year.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers