Which NY Team Made the Better Signing - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Which NY Team Made the Better Signing

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which NY Team Made the Better Long-Term Signing???

Yanks Sign A-Rod
35%
Mets Sign Santana
65%

Total votes : 48

Re: Which NY Team Made the Better Signing

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:31 am

CaptainWeed wrote:Santana for sure. You can fill in different positions with arods money to get near his production, but #1 ace pitchers do not grow on t rees. Also I believe he is a lot less likely to choke for 2-3 years before being able to handle NY like Arod did.

MVP 3b don't grow on tress either. Last 3 years vorp, (value over replacement player). Pretty close, with a slight edge to Arod.

Arod

Santana

As far as career post season, Arods numbers are closer to his norm, then Santanas, (1-4, 3.97 era). I'm not knocking Santana, but some of the reasons people say Santana was better, really aren't true. I don't think anyone would argue that signing a pitcher long term, over a position player, carries alot more risk? Maybe the Mets get a ring, and it's worth it. But the reason Boston hedged, was the years, and the amount of money.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby RunReyesRun » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:02 pm

I also think that the Yanks signing A-Rod simply maintains the level they have been playing at for the past few years -- making the playoffs, but not getting very deep.

Obviously, it remains to be seen with Santana and what the Mets can do with him on their staff. They are favorites to win the NL by the all the 'experts' out there, but they still have to perform and PLAY THE GAMES! Met fans learned all too well last year that nothing is for sure anymore. With that being said, I do feel that Mets stand a much better chance of going deep into the playoffs with a Santana, Pedro, Maine/Perez staff in a short series, but they have to get there first.
RunReyesRun
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby KCollins1304 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:05 pm

The Yankees would not have made the playoffs last year had it not been for A-Rod. Without him, they would probably still be in the top 5 offenses. If they hadn't re-signed him we would be starting Ensberg and Betemit at 3rd.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tavish » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:08 pm

I'm probably in the minority, but I believe the Yankees need A-Rod more than the Mets need Johan. The Yankees also get bonus points since this contract will retain A-Rod through his likely chase at the HR record.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby apz » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:11 pm

If you compare Santana's deal to Zito's, the Santana deal is awesome. No way was Santana going to get less than Zito and whoever got Santana was going to have to pay him something similar. I don't think there's anyone that has a deal near A-Rod's. I think the Yankees would be a better team if they could magically swap A-rod for Santana; they have plenty of offense with Jeter, Abreau, Cano, Posada, Matsui, etc. They don't have a real ace on their staff. The Mets were in dire need of an ace and got him. I'll say the Mets made the better signing.
apz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 32)

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:18 pm

apz wrote:If you compare Santana's deal to Zito's, the Santana deal is awesome. No way was Santana going to get less than Zito and whoever got Santana was going to have to pay him something similar. I don't think there's anyone that has a deal near A-Rod's. I think the Yankees would be a better team if they could magically swap A-rod for Santana; they have plenty of offense with Jeter, Abreau, Cano, Posada, Matsui, etc. They don't have a real ace on their staff. The Mets were in dire need of an ace and got him. I'll say the Mets made the better signing.

That is an interesting point that I had not thought of. The Zito deal was really that bad, making the Santana deal seem like a steal in comparison. :-b
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby RunReyesRun » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:19 pm

apz wrote:If you compare Santana's deal to Zito's, the Santana deal is awesome. No way was Santana going to get less than Zito and whoever got Santana was going to have to pay him something similar. I don't think there's anyone that has a deal near A-Rod's. I think the Yankees would be a better team if they could magically swap A-rod for Santana; they have plenty of offense with Jeter, Abreau, Cano, Posada, Matsui, etc. They don't have a real ace on their staff. The Mets were in dire need of an ace and got him. I'll say the Mets made the better signing.

Agreed. There was no way Santana would get less than Zito. I personally think the Giants may have single-handedly messed up the FA pitching market by overpaying Zito by THAT much. If you're wondering 'what were they thinking' now (which I'm sure most are), just think 4 years from now when he is still under this contract and an even less effective pitcher!
RunReyesRun
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Grounded Polo » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:20 pm

HOOTIE wrote:As far as career post season, Arods numbers are closer to his norm, then Santanas, (1-4, 3.97 era). I'm not knocking Santana, but some of the reasons people say Santana was better, really aren't true. I don't think anyone would argue that signing a pitcher long term, over a position player, carries alot more risk? Maybe the Mets get a ring, and it's worth it. But the reason Boston hedged, was the years, and the amount of money.

Boston had far more leverage than the Mets though because their rotation is arguably the best in baseball even without getting Johan. They already have a legit ace in Josh Beckett, a young starter with ace upside in Dice K, the best pitching prospect in baseball in Clay Buchholz, a solid middle of the rotation prospect in Jon Lester, and two highly experienced guys in Schilling and Wakefield. Boston didn't have any reason to give him his money when they can possibly have three aces already in their rotation. Is it really worth bending over backwards to pay so much for a guy that isn't needed to get you over the hump?

The Mets rotation was a mess and they don't have anybody who can become an ace like Hughes, Joba, or Buchholz in their system to make them reconsider Johan's contract. There's no way the Mets without Johan could beat an AL powerhouse in the World Series.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby thedude » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:24 pm

A-rod with the Yankees. Pitchers are just to fragile to give that many years to. Personally neither signing was good (A-rod is going to be really old and still being paid big bucks), but at least with a-rod you know what you are getting for next few years.

Santana is a great, great pitcher, but we all know that any given pitch could end his season/ career. They are committed to him for a long time.

If i had to chose one player for next season i would take Santana; if i had to choose one player for the length of his contract, i would choose a-rod.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:42 pm

pokerplaya wrote:That is an interesting point that I had not thought of. The Zito deal was really that bad, making the Santana deal seem like a steal in comparison. :-b

Any deal looks good to Zitos. He was already in decline mode (K/9), before the deal. SF was crazy, in years and amount. I don't think history is on the side of long deals for pitchers.

Kevin Brown 7 years
Wayne Garland 10 years
Mike Hampton 8 years
Denny Neagle 5 years
Barry Zito 7 years
Mussina 6 years
Park 5 years
Dreifort 5 years

Some worked out

Pedro 6 years
Maddux 5 years
RJ 4 years

http://junkcharts.typepad.com/.shared/i ... tracts.png
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers