Which NY Team Made the Better Signing - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Which NY Team Made the Better Signing

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which NY Team Made the Better Long-Term Signing???

Yanks Sign A-Rod
35%
Mets Sign Santana
65%

Total votes : 48

Which NY Team Made the Better Signing

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:45 am

Now that each NY Team has made a splash this off-season, which long-term signing is the better one in your opinion? Is it the Yankees signing the best hitter in the game or the Mets signing the best pitcher?
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Which NY Team Made the Better Signing

Postby os_gamejunkie » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:59 am

Since A-Rod's track record in the playoffs has been absent. I'd go with Santana.
os_gamejunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CaptainWeed » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:23 am

Santana for sure. You can fill in different positions with arods money to get near his production, but #1 ace pitchers do not grow on t rees. Also I believe he is a lot less likely to choke for 2-3 years before being able to handle NY like Arod did.
CaptainWeed
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Grounded Polo » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:34 am

It's really just splitting hairs when you're discussing signing the best hitter and best pitcher to long term contracts. I'd say tie.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Matthias » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:59 am

With Santana, the Mets move to favorites in the NL East.

Without A-Rod, the Yankees still have a high-scoring offense and have almost the same chance of making the postseason.

Santana is the better signing.

Besides, he, at least, has never put those gay highlights in his hair.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:05 am

The Yankees signing ARod didn't add anything new to their team to improve them, it was just maintaining the same level as last year.

The Mets added the best pitcher in baseball to their already good team.

So in other words, the Yankees spent all that money to stay the same, while the Mets spent all that money to greatly improve. I'll go with the Mets.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:08 am

Grounded Polo wrote:It's really just splitting hairs when you're discussing signing the best hitter and best pitcher to long term contracts. I'd say tie.

Is it? Signing pitchers to long deals is much, much, more risky, especially when said pitcher already has a ton of innings on his arm. I would be laying awake at night crossing my fingers if i was Minaya.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 296)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:12 am

The Mets needed it more, so I'd argue the better signing is Santana.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Grounded Polo » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:14 am

HOOTIE wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:It's really just splitting hairs when you're discussing signing the best hitter and best pitcher to long term contracts. I'd say tie.

Is it? Signing pitchers to long deals is much, much, more risky, especially when said pitcher already has a ton of innings on his arm. I would be laying awake at night crossing my fingers if i was Minaya.

That's why I called it a tie. Most have accepted that the pitching wins championships philosophy and you get the best starter in the game so that should mean the Mets won the trade but 7 years is a long time for a starter. It would be in the Mets favor if they knocked a year off his contract. Both are good signings but neither team really talked the superstars down from their demands so it's hard to really say either GM got a better deal.

Besides, if we didn't get Santana, we would have wasted 10 million a year on Kyle Lohse and/or Livian Hernandez.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:21 am

Grounded Polo wrote:Besides, if we didn't get Santana, we would have wasted 10 million a year on Kyle Lohse and/or Livian Hernandez.

This is the crux of the issue for me. I'm not sure what type of deal Lohse is looking for, but I know that Livan would only be for a year or two. They aren't the greatest examples...

For this year, I'll use Silva. 4 year 48 million dollar contract with the Mariners. 12 million over 4 years for a barely above average SP?? That is ludicrious. Whether or not Santana is or is not dominant for the duration of his contract doesn't mean much to me. The fact of the matter is that right now he is the best in the business, and immediately makes the Mets a serious contender. That, in and of itself is worth the contract. I'd rather spend 150 million for a pitcher who *could* be dominant for most of the years of his contract (and is the best pitcher in the league at the time of the signing) than sign a SP who is barely above average (when he signed the deal) to a 50 million dollar deal.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers