#1 pick in minor league draft....Your insight? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

#1 pick in minor league draft....Your insight?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: #1 pick in minor league draft....Your insight?

Postby Amatter32 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:40 am

kiloman wrote:whatinthebluehell -- What minor leaguers are available? if you have a minor league draft every year, I'm assuming Bruce, Longoria, et al, may not be available.

He said inaugural, which means it is the first year.
Amatter32
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kiloman » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:25 am

Doh! Should have read it more carefully.
kiloman
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby WaCougMBS » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:02 am

Amatter32 wrote:
kiloman wrote:whatinthebluehell -- What minor leaguers are available? if you have a minor league draft every year, I'm assuming Bruce, Longoria, et al, may not be available.

He said inaugural, which means it is the first year.

I think I was on the fence when I commented before, but I give my vote to Bruce at this point ;-D
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Curtis Pride » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:45 am

Colby Rasmus will have the best career of any player in the minors right now.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby burntfaceman » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:08 pm

I would go with Buchholz myself, followed by Joba and then Bruce. And I might even go Rasmus before I went with Longoria.
burntfaceman
College Coach
College Coach

Postby cards05 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:06 am

Curtis Pride wrote:Colby Rasmus will have the best career of any player in the minors right now.

Word. I hope you're right.
cards05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:54 pm

Koby Schellenger wrote:The only thing is Ellsbury's fantasy value is higher than his real value.

I always viewed this as the opposite. I see him as a great sparkplug on that offense, but not a huge fantasy asset. :-?

Anyway, my top 5 will echo most of what you've read already.

1. Bruce
2. Longoria
3. Rasmus
4. Buchholz
5. Kershaw
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Koby Schellenger » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:29 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Koby Schellenger wrote:The only thing is Ellsbury's fantasy value is higher than his real value.

I always viewed this as the opposite. I see him as a great sparkplug on that offense, but not a huge fantasy asset. :-?

I think that leading off for the Red Sox he's got the potential to score 130+ runs, steal 40 bags and hit .320 because he'll see good pitches. But the actual value he presents is in his ability to get on base and run as well as his defense. His defense isn't questioned, nor is his speed (I don't mean stolen bases but rather the ability to take the extra base in particular). At the plate I don't think he'll have any real power, though he'll squeeze out a few more doubles because of his speed and I don't think his OBP will be fantastic. Maybe .360-.370. I think he'll also get a fair amount of RBIs because of how stacked the lineup should be there. Even with his paltry power, he should be able to get 70 RBI in my opinion. Again, these are not terribly valuable in real life but in fantasy they rule supreme.
** http://www.moundtalk.com ** MLB June Mock Draft ongoing.
Koby Schellenger
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:55 pm

Koby Schellenger wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:

I think that leading off for the Red Sox he's got the potential to score 130+ runs, steal 40 bags and hit .320 because he'll see good pitches. But the actual value he presents is in his ability to get on base and run as well as his defense. His defense isn't questioned, nor is his speed (I don't mean stolen bases but rather the ability to take the extra base in particular). At the plate I don't think he'll have any real power, though he'll squeeze out a few more doubles because of his speed and I don't think his OBP will be fantastic. Maybe .360-.370. I think he'll also get a fair amount of RBIs because of how stacked the lineup should be there. Even with his paltry power, he should be able to get 70 RBI in my opinion. Again, these are not terribly valuable in real life but in fantasy they rule supreme.

I guess when I think of a stud fantasy OF, I think of more than 3 cats. At least 4. As a stud leadoff hitter/CF, he's perfect, especially in that lineup. I think your analysis is spot on though. He would be the only leading run scorer with little to no power to speak of.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)

Previous

Return to Minor League & College Baseball