Beau Mills or Jarrod Parker in a Dynasty? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Beau Mills or Jarrod Parker in a Dynasty?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Beau Mills or Jarrod Parker in a Dynasty?

Postby brewcrewreview.com » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:52 pm

I'm in a Dynasty League and have the 10th pick in the first round of this year's free agent draft. I was hoping to draft Jason Heyward, but he'll likely be gone.

Who do you like better and why?

Beau Mills 1B/3B Indians
Jarrod Parker RHP Diamondbacks
brewcrewreview.com
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Beau Mills or Jarrod Parker in a Dynasty?

Postby Steve-o » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:15 pm

Hello fellow brewer fan. I have your site bookmarked among my brewer links.

Anyways, I go Parker pretty easily. Great speed on the fastball, and a very nice curve. the downside is there is not a lot data on him, so he is very high risk.

I think the only reason you go Mills is because he is much safer. Pretty easy power prediction. But I just see the upside of Parker as so much better.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Grounded Polo » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:22 pm

I'd also go with Parker.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby MaudDib » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:18 am

I would go Parker before Heyward or Mills.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 369)

Postby thomasps3 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:53 pm

Well, let me tell you why I disagree and say Mills, even with the liklihood that he moves to 1b because he profiles as a Ryan Braun-ish fielding thirdbaseman(just kidding, not really that bad, but surgery to his arm hasn't helped matters). Parker, as a 2007 draftee, is at the very least 3 years away from helping the parent club, and besides being smallish (6-2 and 175 lbs), needs to fill out in order to be able to be anything more than a reliever. Not doubting that he will, but the liklihood that the whippish action his arm has used to generate so much velocity(scouts love it) has come at a cost. Additionally, hitting prospects are typically easier to project, because of the huge injury risk pitchers face that has been talked about ad nauseum over at baseball prospectus.

Either way, both are great prospects, and I hope the guy you select wins you a lot of games.

Good luck!
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby cards05 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:19 pm

I'd also go Parker pretty easily.
cards05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby J35J » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:45 pm

Add another vote for Parker.

Mills was unimpressive through A- and A+ as a 20 year old with a couple years of college experience....and he'll likely still be in A+ to start this year as a 21 year old. There are and will always be alot of talented 1B out there for us fantasy geeks to choose from. I don't see Mills breaking out in a big enough way anytime soon to be considered a must have at that position.

Anyway, while Parker is still a "puppy" and likely 3+ years away from seeing the bigs...Mills isn't exactly on the fast track either. I'll take the guy with the higher upside in Parker.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

Postby High Heater » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:27 am

i might be in the minority here but i felt Parker was the best SP out of the last draft, he reminds me of Lincecum somewhat stuff wise. his arm is amazing imo.

he has the highest cieling out of last years class to me pitching wise. plus he'll be in the NL
High Heater
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Return to Minor League & College Baseball