Marlins sign Dallas McPherson - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Marlins sign Dallas McPherson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Marlins sign Dallas McPherson

Postby BravesGuy » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:29 pm

Dallas McPherson, 3B ANA
News: Florida agreed to a one-year contract with infielder Dallas McPherson. A former top prospect in the Angels' system, McPherson missed the 2007 season after undergoing back surgery a year ago to remove a herniated disc. "I look forward to getting Dallas into camp and having some competition over at third base," Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez said. "He's a left-handed hitter that has shown good offensive numbers, and he has some versatility in where he could play."
Analysis: McPherson will be a candidate for a starting job at third base following the departure of slugger Miguel Cabrera, who was traded to the Detroit Tigers in December. Jose Castillo and Jorge Cantu are also in camp. McPherson has a .247 career average with 18 home runs in 117 games over three seasons with the Angels. He was their second-round draft pick in 2001. Consider him an outstanding injury-risk sleeper in deeper leagues, especially NL-only formats on Draft Day.

Good pick up by the fins
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Marlins sign Dallas McPherson

Postby duckbillgates » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:06 pm

Agreed. Great prospect who always seemed to have injuries interrupting his progress. I hope he puts it together in Florida.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CadensDad » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:20 am

Yea, this kid had a bright future a big reason why Glaus left the Angels, but he hasn't been able to get going, I'm gonna watch him in my NL only league as a sleeper

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby jfg » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:07 am

CadensDad wrote:Yea, this kid had a bright future a big reason why Glaus left the Angels, but he hasn't been able to get going, I'm gonna watch him in my NL only league as a sleeper

If he can put it together and stay healthy he's a sleeper in mixed leagues as well. He just needs some at bats plus some good health and he could easily be a good bench option if not more in mixed leagues. Not draftable, but definitely a guy everyone should watch.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:18 am

All those minor league stops with 1.000+ OPS :-L :-L :-L :-L :-L :-L :-L :-L :-L :-L :-L :-L
What a waste.

This is a nice deep waiver sleeper.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby RunReyesRun » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:26 pm

I like him as a sleeper as well. Most others would think of him as a 'washed up prospect', when in reality he still possesses big upside and is still young enough to reach that potential
RunReyesRun
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby MasterX1918 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:19 pm

It's going to be an interesting battle over at third base for the fish. McPherson has the most upside out of all the candidates, but how soon we forget about how Jorge Cantu batted in 2005.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Ender » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:35 pm

I don't think he makes a good sleeper in anything but the deepest leagues. Regardless of what happens he can't hit lefties at all and that means most likely his upside is as a platoon player.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:43 pm

Great flier for the Fins but I honestly do not believe that the Halos would let him go if they thought there was even a remote chance of him staying healthy. Even if he does say healthy which he probably won't, it's doubtful that he will be productive enough to warrant a roster spot in fantasy.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:48 pm

Yoda wrote:Great flier for the Fins but I honestly do not believe that the Halos would let him go if they thought there was even a remote chance of him staying healthy. Even if he does say healthy which he probably won't, it's doubtful that he will be productive enough to warrant a roster spot in fantasy.

True, he's been snakebit with each season and so his durability is in question. I think the Angels have moved past MacPherson, looking to groom Brandon Wood as the 3B of the future. It's a good cheap bargain for the Marlins given his once lofty upside, but unless you're in a really deep league, he's only watch list material.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers