Blurb on Barry Bonds future - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Blurb on Barry Bonds future

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Blurb on Barry Bonds future

Postby The Cow » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:36 pm

Although agent Jeff Borris wasn't willing to say who might be interested in him, free agent Barry Bonds is not yet considering retirement.
"He is unequivocally not retiring," Borris told FOXSports.com. There's been no indication that anyone is interested in adding Bonds, even though he's still clearly one of the top-five hitters in baseball. The Mariners could be considered the favorites in the AL West if they added him as a DH and Erik Bedard to their rotation, but there's no way they'd do it. The rest of the AL contenders are pretty well set at DH, though the Indians could use him as a left fielder. His best hope is that the Padres come calling.
Source: FOXSports.com

I say if Bonds come to Cleveland he would be a huge upgrade over Michaels Dellucci. Bonds to Seattle would also be huge. In short Bonds can still help any team he signs with. Will the character issues keep some teams from signing him? The possible prison time? He can still rake, but do teams want the baggage? Somebody will bite, but who?

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Blurb on Barry Bonds future

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:39 pm

The Cow wrote: Will the character issues keep some teams from signing him? The possible prison time? He can still rake, but do teams want the baggage? Somebody will bite, but who?

The Cow

i think someone will be willing to put up with the baggage, but thats only part of the equation. would barry be willing to sign an incentive based deal?...$1MM base plus up to $10MM based on games played? i think he'd probably pass on that.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:58 pm

SEA would be a great fit but he's not on their from the information that's out there. Hell, anyone besides Vidro would be a great fit.

I wonder what kind of money it would take for Bonds to sign?
Sp_Da_Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:33 pm

Are teams holding off on signing Bonds until the hearing or something? Maybe teams don't want the sideshow that will come with Barry. I think once Spring Training starts and teams have a better idea of what they need, someone will step up.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby dooz » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:33 pm

Yoda wrote:Are teams holding off on signing Bonds until the hearing or something? Maybe teams don't want the sideshow that will come with Barry. I think once Spring Training starts and teams have a better idea of what they need, someone will step up.

It seems like someone will, doesn't it? Look at Clemens. He obviously wouldn't be quite the circus Barry would be but he definitely brings attention (and ticket sales). But if a team sees itself as a contender already, why take the risk? Ultimately, I'll bet he signs somewhere. I really don't see Bonds serving jail time though I don't know the ins and outs of the case...
dooz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby CadensDad » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:44 pm

So I think we have decided that
1. The A's
2. The M's
3. Angels
Are the best possible place for him, I hope he comes back and manages something like .295 14 HR 54 RBI 33 R

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:34 pm

CadensDad wrote:So I think we have decided that
1. The A's
2. The M's
3. Angels
Are the best possible place for him, I hope he comes back and manages something like .295 14 HR 54 RBI 33 R

I think you can scratch off the A's right now. They have enough DH's and are rebuilding. There is no reason to waste the money on Bonds.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby Half Massed » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:05 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
CadensDad wrote:So I think we have decided that
1. The A's
2. The M's
3. Angels

I think you can scratch off the A's right now. They have enough DH's and are rebuilding. There is no reason to waste the money on Bonds.

That's not completely true. The A's still need to draw fans, and they lost a lot of casual ones this season. Signing Bonds would not only bring some of them back to the stadium, but it would bring in some Giants fans as well. Signing him to a one-year incentive-laden deal is exactly the kind of thing that Beane likes to do.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby The Cow » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:06 pm

I still say Bonds in LF for the Tribe is a great fit as we have no LF to speak of and for that matter our RF is unproven in Gutierrez. So bring on Bonds.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers