Cafeholics Mock Draft 2008 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Article Discussions

Cafeholics Mock Draft 2008

Moderators: daullaz, Baseball Moderators

Re: Cafeholics Mock Draft 2008

Postby daullaz » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:52 am

I didn't have these resources when we were drafting, but after the mock I looked in the Forecaster to see if they had the same opinion you guys did about Burnett/Carmona. Forecaster actually has Burnett ranked seven SPs ahead of Carmona.

Later, I bought TSN's magazine and saw they had Burnett eight SPs higher than Carmona.

Now, are all three of us right and is everyone else wrong? Not necessarily. But I think that on my end ranking Burnett above Carmona can't be completely criticized. Burnett might be seen as the bigger health risk, but Carmona saw a big increase in his workload last year. A significant number of injuries to young pitchers happen to guys the year after a big workload increase.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:49 pm

abrage22 wrote:I think overall there were some guys who made some dumb picks that shouldn't of been in the draft if thats how they usually draft. I wouldn't want to look at that as an example while drafting, I get the feeling some of these guys made picks to make then seem more "expert" just because there making picks that no one else would to make people think they know something no one else does, if that makes sense. ;-)

Are you going to remain vague or give us some examples to explore?
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby abrage22 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:28 pm

pokerplaya wrote:
abrage22 wrote:I think overall there were some guys who made some dumb picks that shouldn't of been in the draft if thats how they usually draft. I wouldn't want to look at that as an example while drafting, I get the feeling some of these guys made picks to make then seem more "expert" just because there making picks that no one else would to make people think they know something no one else does, if that makes sense. ;-)

and i have no idea what u just said
abrage22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:31 pm

abrage22 wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:

and i have no idea what u just said

Translation:

Give some examples. Don't just insult drafters or their picks without giving examples of what you think is "dumb".
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:50 pm

Madison wrote:Translation:

Give some examples. Don't just insult drafters or their picks without giving examples of what you think is "dumb".

Thanks, Madison. I suppose I was vague. ;-)
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby abrage22 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:42 am

o ok i c, but i wasn't trying to get into detail or anything, i was just saying "overall". :-L
abrage22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby hot4tx » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:40 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:I don't know about anyone else but I have serious doubts that Rollins can come close to his 2007 season. Playing 162 games is hard enough. Add to that he had career highs in R, RBI, HR and BA. His SLG% was 90 points over his career average. Could be he just took the next step as a hitter but I'm not buying it.

Probably over analyzing it, but here's my argument for Rollins as a late 1st rounder this year:
Rollins has been in - what - the top 3 in Runs for each of the past 3 years, and since he's averaged 133 Runs over the last 2 years with Utley and Howard behind him I don't think we'll see a huge drop in Runs.
If you take out 2003 he's averaged 37.5 SBs per year since 2001, so I think you're pretty safe betting on 35-40 SBs.
He's averaged 68.6 RBI per year since 2001, and had the 94 in '07 and 83 in '06. I think there's a chance he might drop a little bit, but unless he gets injured I don't think it's likely he hits under 80 RBI.
His career average is .277, but he's averaged .288 over the last 4 years so again his batting average will probably come down some, but we're talking .285 - .295 range.
The last part - his HRs. I'm not sure banking on 30 HR is safe, but he did hit 25 in 2006 with 45 doubles. A 27 year old guy turning 5 more doubles (he hit 38 in '07) into HRs isn't out of the ordinary. I think you're looking at 25-30+ HRs.

Put all of that together and a low-end projection for Jimmy is 130-25-80-35-.285 and a reasonably high end projection is 140-30-95-40-.295. Compare those with low and reasonably high end projections for Chase Utley, Carl Crawford, Soriano, Ryan Braun and even David Wright... Rollins seems to fit into that elite 5-cat group pretty well.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:48 pm

hot4tx wrote:Put all of that together and a low-end projection for Jimmy is 130-25-80-35-.285 and a reasonably high end projection is 140-30-95-40-.295.

See that's where we don't agree.
Bill James 2008 prediction for Rollins is 120 R, 21 HR, 76 RBI, 35 SB and a .284 BA in 684 AB. That's still a great season but I think you are being overly optimistic on the low end.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)

Postby hot4tx » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:56 pm

It's find to predict that as long as you also predict every offensive player to have under his average stats for 2008. Again, to each his own but Rollins 2007 isn't a huge difference in most categories to what he's done in the past. Even if he does regress to 2006 stats he significantly beats that projection. The lineup around him is still about the same, no major stars are in danger of falling off, and he's not a mid-30's guy that you should reasonably anticipate a decline in ability.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:10 pm

One of the main reasons the projections on Rollins are less than his 2007 season is that he set a MLB record for the most PA in a season. He's still I great player but I wouldn't take him in the 1st round.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)

PreviousNext

Return to Article Discussions