The Game Plan - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Article Discussions

The Game Plan

Moderators: daullaz, Baseball Moderators

The Game Plan

Postby WebHamster » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:39 pm

This thread contains comments on R.J. White's Article "The Game Plan", which was posted in the Cafe's Articles section on January 31, 2008. The full article can be read here.
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 430)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The Game Plan

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:36 pm

RJ, I have to raise one question with your article. Your comments regarding catcher don't make sense to me, especially since you mention position scarcity issues later in the article. You cannot simply compare Vmart or Martin's stats to an OF without taking into account the positional scarcity issues. Until you adjust the relative value of those stats for the overall positional average, there's no way you can tell how they compare. So, I find your comments about game plan to be very misleading, in that respect.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby daullaz » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:21 pm

I do think position scarcity has to be taken into account, but not to the level where we leave production on the board in the third or fourth round. 2B is scarce, but if you take a 2B in the third round you're looking at Brandon Phillips, who went 30/30 last year, or B.J. Upton, who went 24/22 and will likely get more ABs this year to improve those counting stats. Those number warrant a selection in the third round. By the time Victor Martinez's 25 HRs are a good pick, he's he's off the board. Yes, you have to take scarcity into account somewhat, but you can't let it rule your thinking.

Quite honestly, I probably wouldn't take either Phillips or Upton in the third either. But I know wouldn't take one of those catchers till the end of the 4th or beginning of the 5th, and I know both will be gone before that. So I take them out of my gameplan from the start. If I want to be extra prepared (and I have a little free time), I'll probably make a secondary plan just in case one of them makes it to where I feel comfortable picking them.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:44 am

I agree with that. Based on production alone last year, Martinez and Martin were worth a mid 6 round pick. Most mocks seem to have them going mid-third round. Based on what I've seen on positional averages, that's too high. Late 4th/early 5th seems more accurate to me.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby daullaz » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:09 pm

And I will point this out as well: This is a gameplan that I would be comfortable with, but I don't expect everyone to attack the draft that same way. If an owner likes having certainty at the catcher position or is in a two-catcher league, the gameplan can be adjusted to compensate for that. The final gameplan doesn't have to look anything like mine, but I do think it's crucial to sit down and make a gameplan before you head into the draft.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby Madison » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:38 pm

daullaz wrote:If an owner likes having certainty at the catcher position or is in a two-catcher league,

That's me. I like getting production out of the catcher spot. Being able to wait and snag Martin last year was nice. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby duckbillgates » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:55 pm

Really enjoyed the article. It's a great explanation of a tiered approach for beginners.

In fact, a little too good. I hope my leaguemates don't all read this and figure it out.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jetlag » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:46 pm

Nice article, this is how i've been drafting for a few years now and it really makes a difference at the draft. One thing: I don't think that morneau will last til round 4, but maybe round 3.
jetlag
College Coach
College Coach

Postby WaCougMBS » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:08 pm

Madison wrote:
daullaz wrote:If an owner likes having certainty at the catcher position or is in a two-catcher league,

That's me. I like getting production out of the catcher spot. Being able to wait and snag Martin last year was nice. :-)

I was in the same boat in my keeper last year. Some moron dropped Martin to keep Barrett and Laird, and I cleaned up a long-term catcher solution B-)
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Article Discussions