New Fantasy owner - need insight/strategy!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

New Fantasy owner - need insight/strategy!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

New Fantasy owner - need insight/strategy!!!

Postby Rookie » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:59 pm

I'm taking over management for a team this year for the my first time although I have done football for several years now. Just trying to get an idea of what things I need to focus on come draft day. My league is 12 team head-to-head with scoring in the following categories:

Scoring for Batting Categories
BA - Batting Average
HR - Home Runs
R - Runs
RBI - Runs Batted In
SB - Stolen Bases
SLG - Slugging Pct

Scoring for Pitching Categories
ERA - Earned Run Average
HD - Holds
K - Strikeouts (Pitcher)
S - Saves
W - Wins
WHIP - Walks + Hits / Inning

I just know that in football little tactics like RB's are a premium 4th team WR's are almost never worth a pick - but know nothing about baseball so looking for some sort of direction.

please help
Rookie

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Re: New Fantasy owner - need insight/strategy!!!

Postby sappisgod » Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:06 pm

Rookie wrote:I'm taking over management for a team this year for the my first time although I have done football for several years now. Just trying to get an idea of what things I need to focus on come draft day. My league is 12 team head-to-head with scoring in the following categories:

Scoring for Batting Categories
BA - Batting Average
HR - Home Runs
R - Runs
RBI - Runs Batted In
SB - Stolen Bases
SLG - Slugging Pct

Scoring for Pitching Categories
ERA - Earned Run Average
HD - Holds
K - Strikeouts (Pitcher)
S - Saves
W - Wins
WHIP - Walks + Hits / Inning

I just know that in football little tactics like RB's are a premium 4th team WR's are almost never worth a pick - but know nothing about baseball so looking for some sort of direction.

please help

You could go by best availible player in the first rounds of the draft, which is what I do. OFs are like QBs. It's a deep position and they usually put up a lot of points. You have your Sheffs, Bonds, Mags, Mannys, ect. Another similar position is pitchers. You can find very good pitchers up until rounds 8 or 9. Many like to get guys like A-Rod, Chavez, Rolen, Tejada, Renteria, Kent, the guys who are very good at positions with not a lot of good players. Position scarcity. It's pretty simple. If you know baseball, you'll probably catch on pretty easily.
sappisgod
College Coach
College Coach

Postby JoeCredeForPresident » Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:38 pm

When in doubt

Draft Crede in the late rounds

hes a winner
JoeCredeForPresident
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sigtaulefty » Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:41 pm

SS and 2B are like RB. You want to get the best ones early, because there's a steep dropoff after the studs.
[b]"I'd like the thank the good lord for making me a Yankee"[/b] - Joe DiMaggio
sigtaulefty
College Coach
College Coach

Postby sappisgod » Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:38 pm

sigtaulefty wrote:SS and 2B are like RB. You want to get the best ones early, because there's a steep dropoff after the studs.

There's actually not that steep of a dropoff after stud RBs. But thats a whole 'nother story. I'd compare that to 1st base. You've got your top 6(Pujols, Helton, Giambi, Delgado, Sexson, Thome) similar to RBs(Priest, Faulk, Portis, LT, Deuce, Green). Then there's a slight dropoff. Then guys like Sweeney, Huff, Bagwell, Lee similar to the Stephen Davis and Jamal Lewis of RBs. But enough of the comparisons. Just do the draft, use the cheat sheets provided by the site if need be, build a solid team, and come on here if you've got any further questions. Good luck.
sappisgod
College Coach
College Coach

Postby GSes » Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:51 pm

sappisgod wrote:
sigtaulefty wrote:SS and 2B are like RB. You want to get the best ones early, because there's a steep dropoff after the studs.

There's actually not that steep of a dropoff after stud RBs. But thats a whole 'nother story. I'd compare that to 1st base. You've got your top 6(Pujols, Helton, Giambi, Delgado, Sexson, Thome) similar to RBs(Priest, Faulk, Portis, LT, Deuce, Green). Then there's a slight dropoff. Then guys like Sweeney, Huff, Bagwell, Lee similar to the Stephen Davis and Jamal Lewis of RBs. But enough of the comparisons. Just do the draft, use the cheat sheets provided by the site if need be, build a solid team, and come on here if you've got any further questions. Good luck.

Jamal Lewis a dropoff? I think I will be taking him in the first round next season (mid-late). RB's are the most important postion and after the stud's there is a huge dropoff in my oppinion.

Anyways sorry lets get back to Baseball. Fantasy Football pisses me off b/c its so based on luck. I still play though lol :-D
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers