2nd Flight OF Rank - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2nd Flight OF Rank

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2nd Flight OF Rank

Postby rjforlife » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:03 am

Nice work on the Bay discussion fellows. Started this thread to try to get some opinions/insights on these guys. In that spirit I would like to talk more about CB Young. He covered the most spots on these lists, going anywhere from 1st to worst on the lists (Damon aside). So those who support and those who hate....why?
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1284)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:22 am

rjforlife wrote:Nice work on the Bay discussion fellows. Started this thread to try to get some opinions/insights on these guys. In that spirit I would like to talk more about CB Young. He covered the most spots on these lists, going anywhere from 1st to worst on the lists (Damon aside). So those who support and those who hate....why?

If you're able to counteract the horrible BA than he's a great guy to have in your OF. Will give you basically everything you'd want and will only get better. Aside from the BA of course, that's always, and will always, be horrible. :-P
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:42 am

rjforlife wrote:10 guys. Leave tiers if you see them. Lets see the ranks:

2 Wells
5 Bay
4 CB Young
6 Dye
9 Andruw Jones
3 Hawpe
1 Hunter
8 H. Matsui
7 Francouer
10 Damon

Too much love for Francouer imo. Not enough love for Hawpe.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 305)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:25 am

I'm pretty big on Young. I mean he almost went 30/30 as a 23-year-old so he still has time for improvement. The BA and OBP are concerning but I think he'll be a .270-.280 BA with .350-.360 guy eventually.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 463)

Postby Field » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:38 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
rjforlife wrote:Nice work on the Bay discussion fellows. Started this thread to try to get some opinions/insights on these guys. In that spirit I would like to talk more about CB Young. He covered the most spots on these lists, going anywhere from 1st to worst on the lists (Damon aside). So those who support and those who hate....why?

If you're able to counteract the horrible BA than he's a great guy to have in your OF. Will give you basically everything you'd want and will only get better. Aside from the BA of course, that's always, and will always, be horrible. :-P

Will always be horrible? I'm not ready to go there yet. Do you think he's only going to develop into a .250 hitter?

If he can hit over .265, he's probably the most valuable guy on this list. I'm high on Francouer a lot this year as well, he doesn't quite have the hype that he use to even though I expect a large power surge this year over his 2007 campaign.

I probably wouldn't draft:
Wells
Dye
Jones
Hunter
Damon
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby rjforlife » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:46 am

What do you guys think he will hit this season? Could he be lower than .250? I know he was at .237 last season but that was a rookie year, you would hope he'd show some improvement yr. 2 and hit at least .250?
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1284)

Postby rookies and cream » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:21 am

Bay
Young
Matsui

Hunter
Jones
Hawpe
Wells

Damon
Francoeur
Dye

All pretty close (#20-34 on my OF list)

Although I'd be ok with most of these guys as my 3 OF, I'd probably wait to nab another later in the draft. Unless, of course, we're talking about a 5 OF league like RJ's.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 46)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:41 am

Field wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:

Will always be horrible? I'm not ready to go there yet. Do you think he's only going to develop into a .250 hitter?

If he can hit over .265, he's probably the most valuable guy on this list. I'm high on Francouer a lot this year as well, he doesn't quite have the hype that he use to even though I expect a large power surge this year over his 2007 campaign.

His career MiLB BA is .267 so you could be right. I just wouldn't expect it to change in '08 yet.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Ender » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:11 pm

Young's xAVG was .264 last year which suggests he'll hit higher in the future. He could be one of those freaks like Andruw Jones and Carlos Beltran that consistently hit lower than you would expect but I bet he hits in the .250-.260 range this year. Also the average doesn't KILL you anymore than say taking Reyes and getting below average RBI for an early pick. If you like Young and want to actively target him just make sure to keep an eye on AVG earlier in the draft.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:12 pm

Here's how I have them ranked:

Chris B. Young

Vernon Wells
Jason Bay
Jeff Francoeur
Brad Hawpe

Andruw Jones
Hideki Matsui
Torii Hunter

Jermaine Dye
Johnny Damon

I'm bullish on CB Young as well. Near 30/30 season last year and I believe he'll bump up his average in the .260-270 area, but I wouldn't bump his value from the rest of this lot because he's a potential BA killer. I once thought the Carlos Beltran analogy applied to CB Young was extreme but he made good on it his first full season. Can't pass that up.

I think Wells bounces back some with a healthy shoulder. I want to believe Bay surges back even though a couple of good/great stretches might have had him playing over his head a bit, but I don't believe he'll be as bad last year and with that knee holding up, he'll be at least decent. I really like Francoeur this season as long as he improves his plate discipline (he could be a .300-310, 30-35 HR, 100-110 RBI hitter in '08). I also like Hawpe hitting behind Holliday & Helton full-time in Colorado.

Andruw shouldn't tank like last year and even if he hits half of the year at Chavez Ravine, I don't expect his power to lag because of it and should bounce back to the 30 HR range again. Matsui doesn't offer much added upside but in that Yanks lineup, he's a shoo-in for a near .300 BA, 100 R, and 100 RBI. Interesting to see if Torii can post another better than usual year in Anaheim.

Jermaine Dye regressed awfully last year, but he could be a solid 3rd OF again even if he doesn't come close to '06 again. Damon's stock is vague especially when Melky Cabrera figures to get his good share of PT in CF.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 454)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers