Yankees Payroll To Stay About The Same - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yankees Payroll To Stay About The Same

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yankees Payroll To Stay About The Same

Postby ramble2 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:48 pm

Just to throw fuel on the fire ...

From reports I've heard, the Yankees payroll will increase by under $1 million dollars by adding A Rod to the team. This is only for 2004.

Owed to Soriano in 2004: $5.4 million

Saved by cutting Boone in 2004: $4.8 million

Saved by releasing Henson in 2004: $4 million

Total money saved by Yankees: $14.2 million

Owed to A Rod by NYY: $15 million in 2004 (also 2005 and 2006)

Difference in payroll: 0.8 million

(It's actually a little higher than this, b/c Henson's salary wouldn't count against the luxury tax.)

The thing is, even in 2005 and 2006 I don't think there's much of a difference in salary either. You have to figure that Soriano makes a little more in 2005 & 2006 (arbitration years), and that the Yankees still need to shell out around $5 mil/year for an acceptable 3B (or $12+ mil/year for Chavez).

As much as I can't stand the Yankees, this was a great deal for them. I'm up in the air over how this deal is for the Rangers. They are paying WAY too much money to the Yankees. Yet they still free up a lot of money to sign other prospects/FAs. Only time will tell how the parties fare.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:50 pm

I was under the impression that Soriano got paid quite a bit less If I remember...
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby ramble2 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:54 pm

Also, at least some of the folks at theSon of Sam Horn message board are blaming this trade on Larry Luccino. (Note: The following is a quote listing http://www.bergen.com/page.php?q...FlZUVFeXk2 as its source. I couldn't get the link to work, but am anal about posting sources.) I advise taking this with a huge grain of salt.

While the Yankees will soon be determining how to keep Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez happy in each other's air space, the Red Sox are still reliving their desperate 11th-hour attempt to keep the American League's MVP from heading to the Bronx. According to a major league executive, Boston's hierarchy was so panicked by the growing momentum of the Yankees-Rangers trade, a personal phone call was placed to A-Rod on Friday night, asking him to halt the talks.

Rodriguez declined to get involved, only intensifying Boston's efforts. President Larry Lucchino then tried Rangers' GM John Hart and finally climbed to the corporate peak, calling Texas owner Tom Hicks, promising to agree to whatever demands the Rangers sought - as long as Rodriguez stayed away from the Yankees.

"[The Red Sox] basically said, "whatever it takes," said the source. The plea fell on deaf ears, thanks to the residual bitterness that resulted from the failed A-Rod for Manny Ramirez trade in November. Hicks, who resented the Sox for their refusal to agree to the final $12 million in concessions that would've sent A-Rod to Fenway, got his revenge. He closed the deal with George Steinbrenner, agreeing to absorb an average of $5 million a year of Rodriguez's salary.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ramble2 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:55 pm

Pokeyouindaeye wrote:I was under the impression that Soriano got paid quite a bit less If I remember...

Last year, yes. He got paid $800,000 in 2003. He's owed more this year. He's now arbitration eligible every year until he's a FA.
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:02 pm

I wasn't aware that Boone had been cut.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

Postby Transmogrifier » Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:05 pm

When we refer to "payroll," we mean MLB payroll, not including minorleaguers. While George may be paying out the same, that's not what we're talking about. It's undeniable, though, that this is a great financial deal for the Yankees.

And, it is my understanding that they can only waive 80% of Boone's contract; is that the number you have?
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby ukjohn » Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:10 pm

what about the other additions...Sheffield, Gordon, Quantrill, Lofton, etc
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby L0rdB23 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:13 pm

theyre not gonna cut boone .. hes gonnabe their 2b when he comes back in august
L0rdB23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby eftda » Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:20 pm

na, Ynakees will trade for M. Giles ;-D
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ramble2 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:38 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:When we refer to "payroll," we mean MLB payroll, not including minorleaguers. While George may be paying out the same, that's not what we're talking about. It's undeniable, though, that this is a great financial deal for the Yankees.

And, it is my understanding that they can only waive 80% of Boone's contract; is that the number you have?

Trans, you are right that I'm combining the MLB and minor leagures involved in this deal. That's why I put the caveat in my post about what gets counted against the luxury tax. My main point here is that money out of pocket for the Yankees organization ends up being about the same - if they cut A. Boone.

I've since found a reputable source for the numbers. The New York Times is reporting along similar lines.

Rodriguez, the American League's most valuable player last season as a shortstop, will switch to third base for the Yankees, and he will essentially cost them no more this season than they had originally budgeted. The Yankees will pay Rodriguez $15 million in 2004, but he is deferring $1 million. The third-base prospect Drew Henson was scheduled to make $4 million this season before quitting to pursue football. The $5.4 million salary for Soriano, the All-Star second baseman, is also off the books, and the Yankees would save about $4.8 million by cutting third baseman Aaron Boone, who voided the guarantee in his contract by tearing up his left knee while playing basketball last month.

The expected payouts to Henson, Soriano and Boone total roughly $14.2 million. The $942,623 in termination pay the Yankees would owe Boone, in addition to the $14 million they will pay Rodriguez this season, would raise the Yankees' payroll by less than $750,000.

"We traded an All-Star to get a Hall of Famer at a gain of very little for this year," a Yankees official said.

The Yankees' overall payroll for 2004, based on average annual payouts to 24 players and including the termination pay the club is expected to give Boone, will be about $180 million.
Last edited by ramble2 on Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers