Congrats A-ROD - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Congrats A-ROD

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby tlef316 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:46 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:
tlef316 wrote:if you honestly think A-Rod cares if joe schmo from cleveland or Mike Smith from Minnesota hates him, you are very misguided. people will flock to their stadiums to see him and the yankees play and he will rake in millions of dollars and at least 110 wins. so i dont think a few boos will bother him very much.

(The Diamondbacks, Angels and Marlins say hi.)

win something besides the wildcard, them come talk to me
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TrappedInBristol » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:49 pm

Dude86 wrote:Q: How many baseball fans except yankee fans hate the yankees?
A: All of them

Q:How many baseball fans except Yankee fans hate yankee players?
A: All of them

You can figure out the next question

Ah, yes. Another reasonable, unbiased, post. Yankee fans, on the count of three, let us hang our heads in shame.

First off, the deal hasn't been approved by the commish. I don't think it's a mere formality, and I hope Bud doesn't approve it. Why? If Bud has any guts, and is anything more than a small-market owner trying to masquerade as commish while his family siphons off every dollar of Brewers market value they can before selling out, let him prove it by making a stand right here, right now. Dust off the "best interests of baseball" powers of the office, and pull the plug on the deal. Either Bud stands up, and makes this a test case, or everybody shut up about how unfair it all is, and let's get on with spring training.

Second, this isn't the right deal for the Yankees. If they are truly willing to trade Soriano, arguably their most marketable commodity, and put up with at least a year of a no-offense glove man at 2B, then they should target a deal that will clear some of their positional logjam, improve their defense at the corner infield slots, and put Giambi at full time DH where he belongs.
TrappedInBristol
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Dude86 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:50 pm

Being a Yankee fan is the easiest job in the world.
Dude86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tlef316 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:53 pm

Dude86 wrote:Being a Yankee fan is the easiest job in the world.

it wasnt in the late 80's/ early 90's when i grew up. dont lump the real yankee fans in with the bandwagoners and teenage girl Jeter lovers. it's not the same.
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby TrappedInBristol » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:55 pm

Being fan of the Yankees, or any other team, isn't a job. It's a matter of rooting for a team that plays a game. As such, it shouldn't be tainted with talk of hatred.

Isn't there any real injustice in the world you care about?
TrappedInBristol
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Transmogrifier » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:59 pm

tlef316 wrote:maybe "at least 110" was a little bit premature. but they got 101 last year. i think the additions of A-Rod, Shef, healthy jeter all year and improved middle relief make the yankees a better team. if i had to guess today id say they will go 106-56.

Of course they're a better team. But you never know what'll happen. I would agree, though, that they're about a 100 win team. The Sox about a 90-95 win team. It'll largely come down to coping with injuries.

It'll be a fun season, that's for sure.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby TrappedInBristol » Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:05 pm

tlef316 wrote:

it wasnt in the late 80's/ early 90's when i grew up. dont lump the real yankee fans in with the bandwagoners and teenage girl Jeter lovers. it's not the same.

I'm not sure I buy the fact that I've got it "easier" because I root for a team (the Yankees) that has actually won something. I suppose I'll have to live with the knowledge that I am somehow less deserving. I only hope the grandkids won't be too disappointed in me.

Being a devoted fan has a lot more to do with hope, faith, and the love of the game than it does with wins, losses, or "evil empires" It has to do with finding joy in rooting for your team, even in the face of doubt and discouragement. It has to do with enjoying your team’s pursuit of greatness whether or not that pursuit is rewarded. I became a baseball fan, and a Yankee fan, during the most horrific Yankee decade in 30 or 40 YEARS. My devotion has never wavered. I wonder if Dude86 remembers the lineup from the first baseball game he ever saw. I do. Here’s the Yankee lineup in the first game I ever watched:

Horace “the Troll” Clark 2B (250 lb., 5’ 5” tall LEADOFF batter)

Jerry Kenney CF (Jerry went on to achieve true failure as an infielder)

Bobby Murcer 3B (heard in the stands along the 1B line: “look out, he’s gonna throw it again”)

Joe Pepitone 1B (nice hair)

Roy White LF

Gene Michael SS (ok, it might have been Tom Tresh)

Bill Robinson RF

Jake Gibbs C (Jake is a good name for a catcher)

Mel Stottlemyre P (What did Mel do to deserve THIS?)

It was 1969. Against the Washington Senators. The Yanks were an awful team. It was one of the greatest days of my life, and remains one of my fondest memories. And for all the success the Yankees have achieved in my adult life, nothing compares to the joy of that day. That's why being a real fan isn't a job, easy or otherwise.
TrappedInBristol
College Coach
College Coach

Postby L0rdB23 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:27 pm

LETS GO METS.. IM SICK OF ALL THIS SOX/YANKEE BASHING.. LETS JUST PLAY BALL!!!
L0rdB23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby lesgrant » Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:39 pm

L0rdB23 wrote:LETS GO METS.. IM SICK OF ALL THIS SOX/YANKEE BASHING.. LETS JUST PLAY BALL!!!

I can never get enough Sox bashing.

But, I want the Mets to turn things around so we can have a real subway series this year. ;-D
lesgrant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:40 pm

watch the yankees will roll over everybody in the regular season and then make it to the world series and lose to the padres or somebody and wells will pitch game 7 and beat the yankees

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers