FELIX HERNANDEZ!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

FELIX HERNANDEZ!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: FELIX HERNANDEZ!!!

Postby High Heater » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:27 am

NZ Eff wrote:He never will. What you've seen the last two seasons will be around his career norms.

i'm sensing the sarcasim lol ;-D

Felix is a pup, let him mature a little most guys his age are in the minors finding their game.
High Heater
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JTWood » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:34 am

High Heater wrote:
NZ Eff wrote:He never will. What you've seen the last two seasons will be around his career norms.

Felix is a pup, let him mature a little most guys his age are in the minors finding their game.

He's not being sarcastic. NZ Eff thinks that Felix will just be an average pitcher, and if you believe that he'll never try to get in shape and continue to be arrogant, then he will remain average until his body goes out and his fabulous stuff leaves him.

I would be interested to hear what NZ F has to say about this. I bet he thinks Felix is just a stud in waiting.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:21 pm

i think he'll be very good eventually, but i think he's gonna blow out his elbow soon which makes me weary of him in a keeper league.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Yoda » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:26 pm

JTWood wrote:
High Heater wrote:

He's not being sarcastic. NZ Eff thinks that Felix will just be an average pitcher, and if you believe that he'll never try to get in shape and continue to be arrogant, then he will remain average until his body goes out and his fabulous stuff leaves him.

I would be interested to hear what NZ F has to say about this. I bet he thinks Felix is just a stud in waiting.

Felix arguably has the best combination of stuff in MLB right now. It's too early to say whether he will remain an average pitcher. He is still not past the injury nexus and that is the biggest thing that worries me about him.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Philliebuster » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:39 pm

Bahhh...I though this would be another King got fat during the offseason sitting on his keister playing PS3.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby JDD » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:14 am

I read the title of this thread, and I thought he got hurt or something...

I think more could have been learned if the first post said: he's cute.

or, he rocks!
--JDD
JDD
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ender » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:02 am

garf112 wrote:

seriously?

He might seriously feel that is true but no not seriously. Felix has had xERA's in the low 3's each of the past two seasons. If he manages to stay healthy it is only a matter of time before he is getting a lot of Cy Young votes every season. He has one of the best skillsets in baseball right now, an extreme groundball pitcher who doesn't BB too many and K's a good number at a young age. He is an improved version of Webb in the waiting.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby abrage22 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:11 am

idk its hard to say, i think he'll have spectacular numbers this year, prabably not quite cy young numbers yet though, i think he'll get there within 2-4 years though ;-D
abrage22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Glexar111 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:33 am

lol.i started to love King Felix when i heard about him.The dude has some nastiest stuffs i've ever seen.After his first 2 starts of last year and when he outdueled Dice-K(i think)i thought he was gonna contend for the Cy Young.Too bad that elbow injury plagued him and ruined his chance to get the award.Anyways i hope he's gonna breakout pretty soon.i hate to think he's gonna end up as an average/above average pitcher.he's better than that.i always forget that he's only 21 right now.
Glexar111
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby thursday_13 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:45 pm

bat
JTWood wrote:
High Heater wrote:

Yeah, because getting in shape is so essential to being a good pitcher...

CC Sabathia -- 290 lbs! 100 career wins, 1142 K's, 1 cy young, at 27 years old.

Granted, Sabathia has a taller frame than Felix, but why do we assume that slender guys last longer? (Mark Prior anyone?) Bartolo Colon runs on a very heavy frame and avoided injuries until recently, he had 8 straight 30+ start, 200+ IP seasons until he was 33. And at 5'11" 245, that has a lot more toll than 6'3" 230. Lets not forget David Wells, whose hieght and weight are more similar to Felix AND has had a 20 year career. In fact, I would argue that chubby pitchers do better (don't even ask for an explanation, I have none) over the long run. Many big name fat guys have long careers.

Felix is a mere 21 years old. He has another 6 years before I would assume he hits his peak. His numbers have been consistent with that other chubby ace I just mentioned. (In fact, some are better). His BB/K ratio was nearly 1/3. That's pretty standard ace stuff in my book. If he takes 4 more years to really become a cy young candidate, that's actually not bad. He is a legit starter in the majors at 21, and he has the potential to get better. Saying that he hit his peak (if it was sarcasm, sorry for bringing it up) is rather narrow minded. No pitcher hits his peak at 21 years old. (except Fernando Valenzeula).

He has a lot of years to go, and I think he's right on track.
thursday_13
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers