Let's Go Giants - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Let's Go Giants

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Let's Go Giants

Postby Grounded Polo » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:26 am

bigh0rt wrote:What Should Jets Fans Root For (Other Than Stadium Collapse)?

Apparently we are not alone...

I've been reading the Gang Green Jets forum more lately, it's just depressing.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Urban Cohorts » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:15 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:You seriously, seriously underestimate both the obnoxiousness of Boston sports fans and my hatred of them.

Hey, I can't fault you for that because I know just how obnoxious most Boston fans can be.

But c'mon dude! You're a Cowboys fan! You CAN'T root for the Giants. They stole your playoff spot!

Don't hate the Pats- they accomplished what they did in a very well built NFL. You can certainly hate the Sox/Yankees/Phillies/Tigers/etc. for spending so much and ruining baseball. But the Pats did this all in the salary cap era. You gotta give them props for that.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:44 pm

Urban Cohorts wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:You seriously, seriously underestimate both the obnoxiousness of Boston sports fans and my hatred of them.

Hey, I can't fault you for that because I know just how obnoxious most Boston fans can be.

But c'mon dude! You're a Cowboys fan! You CAN'T root for the Giants. They stole your playoff spot!

Don't hate the Pats- they accomplished what they did in a very well built NFL. You can certainly hate the Sox/Yankees/Phillies/Tigers/etc. for spending so much and ruining baseball. But the Pats did this all in the salary cap era. You gotta give them props for that.

Um, no.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby lastingsgriller » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:03 pm

Urban Cohorts wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:As you may or may not know, I'm a pathetic Cowboys fan....

So now I had to choose between the two NFL teams I hated more than any, the Giants and the Pats. At the time the choice was easy. I rooted for the Giants like I had been a fan my entire life. And I was thrilled when they won.

You are no Cowboys fan sir. Rooting for a divisional rival to win the big show is absolute BLASPHEMY in my book. It shouldn't have mattered how much you hated the Patriots. You ALWAYS root against the contender from your own division. Plain and simple.

I am a Bears fan, but I would root for the Vikings to win the Super Bowl.. but, then again, I do live in Minnesota. The Packers make me want to throw up, so I would never root for them. But, I happily root for the Lions.. I think the only thing this could mean is.. football is stupid.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 168)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:59 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Urban Cohorts wrote:Don't hate the Pats- they accomplished what they did in a very well built NFL. You can certainly hate the Sox/Yankees/Phillies/Tigers/etc. for spending so much and ruining baseball. But the Pats did this all in the salary cap era. You gotta give them props for that.

Um, no.

Pats have 5 Super Bowl appearances in a decade. And they will have won at least half of them. Hard to argue with those results, especially in an era that utilizes a salary cap. The Steelers, 49ers, and Cowboys had nice runs, but when you don't have a cap, you have to put less emphasis on those wins. The Steel Curtain is something that could never happen today- 11 Pro Bowl players (4 of which are in the HoF). They would make too much $$$ to be on the same team.

Don't be jealous..
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Urban Cohorts » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:04 am

lastingsgriller wrote:I am a Bears fan, but I would root for the Vikings to win the Super Bowl.. but, then again, I do live in Minnesota. The Packers make me want to throw up, so I would never root for them. But, I happily root for the Lions.. I think the only thing this could mean is.. football is stupid.

Who wouldn't root for the Lions? They have been so terrible for such a long time. I'd have been just as happy if the Lions won this year.

I mean, if the Pirates made it to the World Series, who would root against them?
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Urban Cohorts » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:06 am

Inukchuk wrote:
Urban Cohorts wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:As you may or may not know, I'm a pathetic Cowboys fan....

So now I had to choose between the two NFL teams I hated more than any, the Giants and the Pats. At the time the choice was easy. I rooted for the Giants like I had been a fan my entire life. And I was thrilled when they won.

You are no Cowboys fan sir. Rooting for a divisional rival to win the big show is absolute BLASPHEMY in my book. It shouldn't have mattered how much you hated the Patriots. You ALWAYS root against the contender from your own division. Plain and simple.

I find it hilarious when people try to tell you how to be a real fan.

And I find it hilarious that people would root for a team in their own division to win, especially after smacking them out of the playoffs.

I hate the Steelers more than any other team in any professional sport (including the Yankees). Yet, I still rooted for them to beat the Jets last year after the Jets murdered my Pats.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:24 am

Urban Cohorts wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
Urban Cohorts wrote:Don't hate the Pats- they accomplished what they did in a very well built NFL. You can certainly hate the Sox/Yankees/Phillies/Tigers/etc. for spending so much and ruining baseball. But the Pats did this all in the salary cap era. You gotta give them props for that.

Um, no.

Pats have 5 Super Bowl appearances in a decade. And they will have won at least half of them. Hard to argue with those results, especially in an era that utilizes a salary cap. The Steelers, 49ers, and Cowboys had nice runs, but when you don't have a cap, you have to put less emphasis on those wins. The Steel Curtain is something that could never happen today- 11 Pro Bowl players (4 of which are in the HoF). They would make too much $$$ to be on the same team.

Don't be jealous..

My statement was in response to you trying to tell people who they should root for. Anyone with any objectivity has some level of respect for what the Pats have done.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:51 am

Urban Cohorts wrote:
Inukchuk wrote:
Urban Cohorts wrote:

I find it hilarious when people try to tell you how to be a real fan.

And I find it hilarious that people would root for a team in their own division to win, especially after smacking them out of the playoffs.

I hate the Steelers more than any other team in any professional sport (including the Yankees). Yet, I still rooted for them to beat the Jets last year after the Jets murdered my Pats.

I figured you were a Cowboys fan from your first post, but as a fellow Pats fan I have to disagree with your division "rule". Like you, last year I wanted the Steelers because the Jets beat us directly, but the year before I wanted the Jets to beat the Colts in the AFC Championship game. If the Packers had made it to the Super Bowl 18-0 and were playing the Jets this year, I'd have been all for the Jets. There's more to take into account than just what division you're in.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Urban Cohorts » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:23 am

Lofunzo wrote:My statement was in response to you trying to tell people who they should root for. Anyone with any objectivity has some level of respect for what the Pats have done.

Well I certainly wouldn't root for the team that knocked mine off from making the playoffs. Especially in their own house during the last game of the season.

I'm not holding a gun to his head saying "ROOT FOR THE PATS". I'm just saying if I was in that situation, I would want the Giants to fail miserably. If the Giants win 2 Super Bowls in 4 years, that doesn't make the Cowboys look good.

Wouldn't have been any confusion if you didn't quote the whole thing, and rather just this-

Urban Cohorts wrote:But c'mon dude! You're a Cowboys fan! You CAN'T root for the Giants. They stole your playoff spot!

teddy ballgame wrote:I figured you were a Cowboys fan from your first post, but as a fellow Pats fan I have to disagree with your division "rule". Like you, last year I wanted the Steelers because the Jets beat us directly, but the year before I wanted the Jets to beat the Colts in the AFC Championship game. If the Packers had made it to the Super Bowl 18-0 and were playing the Jets this year, I'd have been all for the Jets. There's more to take into account than just what division you're in.

Why Jets over Colts? Did it have something to do with stopping Manning from getting another ring to increase his favor in the Brady vs. Manning debate at the time? And well yes, if the Jets faced any 18-0 team in the Super Bowl, I would root for the Jets as well. But this situation hardly ever happens. And I think most people would want the 18-0 team beaten in the Super Bowl.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk