Let's Go Giants - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Let's Go Giants

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Let's Go Giants

Postby Grounded Polo » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:00 pm

Am I the only Jets fan who is avoiding his superbowl party invite texts? :-{

As a Mets/Jets fan, this was expected. I rooted for New England last time and will do so again. I would root for the Giants if my New York teams ever actually won anything ever (would be less bitter about the Giants going to super bowl 3 times since 2000 while my team is proud of losing AFC championship games) but they haven't and the NE fans are 3 hours away from me. I find the hybrid Yankees/Jets fans are more likely to pull for the Giants since they have more hate for anything Boston while I'm more indifferent.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:04 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:Am I the only Jets fan who is avoiding his superbowl party invite texts? :-{

As a Mets/Jets fan, this was expected. I rooted for New England last time and will do so again. I would root for the Giants if my New York teams ever actually won anything ever (would be less bitter about the Giants going to super bowl 3 times since 2000 while my team is proud of losing AFC championship games) but they haven't and the NE fans are 3 hours away from me. I find the hybrid Yankees/Jets fans are more likely to pull for the Giants since they have more hate for anything Boston while I'm more indifferent.
I'm a lifelong Mets/Jets fan and I could never bring myself to root for the Patriots. If I have to choose, like last time, I'm going with the Giants, despite all the garbage I'll have to hear about in the aftermath.

As was said, is there any way they can both lose? :-[
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)

Postby Grounded Polo » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:30 pm

bigh0rt wrote:I'm a lifelong Mets/Jets fan and I could never bring myself to root for the Patriots. If I have to choose, like last time, I'm going with the Giants, despite all the garbage I'll have to hear about in the aftermath.

By root, of course this means sitting on the couch, not reacting when any big plays happen, going to the bathroom during the game and never during the commercials. Last time, it took me until halftime to fully realize I'm pulling for the Pats. :-X

A lose/lose scenario would be ideal, too late to overturn the result of either conference championship game?
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jfg » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:31 pm

Giants are going to kill the Patriots I think. The Patriots only looked good this year playing bad teams and the Ravens were the first above .500 team they beat and they got lucky while the Giants looked very good when they got everybody healthy. Their season record isn't a good picture of how good they are. If I were a betting man I'd place a lot of money on the Giants.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 86)

Postby teddy ballgame » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:55 pm

jfg wrote:Giants are going to kill the Patriots I think. The Patriots only looked good this year playing bad teams and the Ravens were the first above .500 team they beat and they got lucky while the Giants looked very good when they got everybody healthy. Their season record isn't a good picture of how good they are. If I were a betting man I'd place a lot of money on the Giants.

I keep hearing that stat and it annoys me. They beat 6 teams that had a winning record when the Patriots played them. It's not the Patriots fault that a bunch of those teams tailed off and wound up finishing 8-8. We're not talking about the Bengals who beat 9 under-.500 teams and lost to 7 .500-or-better teams. Before this week they had only even played 2 teams that finished with winning records. And both games came down to the wire. The Pittsburgh game was ugly yet they still had a chance to tie it late. The Giants game, they lost with 15 seconds left. So, fair enough, they didn't beat a team that finished with a winning record before last week, but that doesn't really tell the whole story.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:39 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:
jfg wrote:Giants are going to kill the Patriots I think. The Patriots only looked good this year playing bad teams and the Ravens were the first above .500 team they beat and they got lucky while the Giants looked very good when they got everybody healthy. Their season record isn't a good picture of how good they are. If I were a betting man I'd place a lot of money on the Giants.

I keep hearing that stat and it annoys me. They beat 6 teams that had a winning record when the Patriots played them. It's not the Patriots fault that a bunch of those teams tailed off and wound up finishing 8-8. We're not talking about the Bengals who beat 9 under-.500 teams and lost to 7 .500-or-better teams. Before this week they had only even played 2 teams that finished with winning records. And both games came down to the wire. The Pittsburgh game was ugly yet they still had a chance to tie it late. The Giants game, they lost with 15 seconds left. So, fair enough, they didn't beat a team that finished with a winning record before last week, but that doesn't really tell the whole story.
Beating a team who is 1 - 0 and saying you beat them 'when they had a winning record' doesn't really tell you anything (I don't know if the Pats did this, and if it was included in that figure you said, but the point stands). The Patriots have beaten only one really 'good' team all year, and they did so because their kicker missed a field goal that I could make. Is it their fault that their schedule dictated that? Of course not. But it's also not fair to pretend they've beaten quality opponents when they haven't (maybe equally unfair to penalize them for not beating teams they didn't face). Either way, if Julian Edelman is playing in the secondary two Sundays from now, Eli Manning may pick that defense apart (vomit in my own mouth). If the Giants' front 4 play the way they have with continued strengthened and solid play in the secondary (Blackburn has helped a lot here, and they've looked like a different team for at least six weeks now), it could be a long day for Brady and the Pats. However, if Wilfork is able to penetrate and pressure the way the 49ers did last night, letting Eli take shot after shot after shot, he may be carried out of Indy in a body bag. It should be a very interesting game and fun to watch, and anybody claiming one team has some discernible edge over the other is just convincing themselves at this point. It's only a 3 point spread and I imagine that gap will close over the next 2 weeks.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby lastingsgriller » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:59 pm

football is a really simple game in the end, which ultimately, makes it pretty unpredictable.

as ambiguous as this statement is, the team that plays better is going to win this game.

-- I suppose that needs a bit more explanation. At this point in the season, either of these teams are capable of beating the other. if the giants are a bit off, the patriots could easily capitalize and the Brady show could dink and dunk their way to a 35-17 victory. conversely, if Manning is able to get Hawk and Cruz going early, the Pats could be chasing them around the whole game. On any given sunday, this game could go either way. as is the way with most Super Bowls. good example of that would be the last time these two teams played each other in the Super Bowl.

If I have to make a guess, though, I say the Patriots take this one.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 167)

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:55 am

bigh0rt wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:Am I the only Jets fan who is avoiding his superbowl party invite texts? :-{

I'm a lifelong Mets/Jets fan and I could never bring myself to root for the Patriots. If I have to choose, like last time, I'm going with the Giants, despite all the garbage I'll have to hear about in the aftermath.

I am right there with you. As a Jets fan, I can never bring myself to root for the Pats under any circumstances.

Gotta say that I am also finding it hard to hate this Giants team. I felt that way during the first 2 SB runs but that also had something to do with how boring their offense was. This team is exciting to watch. My father-in-law passed away 2 weeks ago and was a huge Giants fan so I'm sure that also affects how I feel about this game as well.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:45 am

Lofunzo wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:

I am right there with you. As a Jets fan, I can never bring myself to root for the Pats under any circumstances.

Gotta say that I am also finding it hard to hate this Giants team. I felt that way during the first 2 SB runs but that also had something to do with how boring their offense was. This team is exciting to watch. My father-in-law passed away 2 weeks ago and was a huge Giants fan so I'm sure that also affects how I feel about this game as well.
The only reason I'm bothered by the Giants is their obnoxious fans (see: my friends).
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:52 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:I'm a lifelong Mets/Jets fan and I could never bring myself to root for the Patriots. If I have to choose, like last time, I'm going with the Giants, despite all the garbage I'll have to hear about in the aftermath.

The only reason I'm bothered by the Giants is their obnoxious fans (see: my friends).

As a Jets fan, it's really hard for me to criticize anyone else's fanbase.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk